PDA

View Full Version : FHP on State Roads/Interstates only????????

07-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I keep hearing about how we might be just patrolling state roads or interstates only in the very near future. I can't imagine that but I guess it's possible. The legislatures won't stop until we are all gone I guess. What about merging with FDOT-MCCO? Is that completly dead or will it come up again? I haven't heard a peep about it. All I hear now is how we will eventually be reduced to nothing.

07-26-2008, 10:56 PM
FHP will not be merging with DOT anytime soon. The proposal was rejected.

07-26-2008, 11:36 PM
I realize that. I would assume that it will become an issue again. Maybe not. I don't know. Heck, I don't know if it would even be a good thing for us if we did merge with them. I hear that Colonel C. has been meeting with their Colonel alot lately.

07-27-2008, 03:40 AM
doubt it 'll happ it was just rejected to stay on state roads. we got free rain baby

07-27-2008, 03:45 AM
And I doubt it will happen simply because the few areas that are still unincorporated still call us to handle their crashes as their S.O's usually don't want to bother. And also when cities have major intersections that have a couple of jurisdictions involved & everyone is "refusing" to handle, that leaves FHP to handle.

07-27-2008, 03:46 AM
And I doubt it will happen simply because the few areas that are still unincorporated still call us to handle their crashes as their S.O's usually don't want to bother. And also when cities have major intersections that have a couple of jurisdictions involved & everyone is "refusing" to handle, that leaves FHP to handle.

exactly

07-27-2008, 03:50 AM

exactly

Thank you!

07-27-2008, 04:41 AM
We will be reduced to nothing soon if pay isn't increased and increased soon! How many more need to leave. We won't have enough to cover the state roads left in another year!

07-27-2008, 04:53 AM
We will be reduced to nothing soon if pay isn't increased and increased soon! How many more need to leave. We won't have enough to cover the state roads left in another year!

true

07-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Brass doesn't want this either

07-27-2008, 06:09 PM
No, what I think the brass wants to do is merge with fdot. I wouldn't be surprised either to see it brought up again and even possibly happening this time around. I somehow just don't think that issue is dead forever.

07-28-2008, 12:15 AM
No, what I think the brass wants to do is merge with fdot. I wouldn't be surprised either to see it brought up again and even possibly happening this time around. I somehow just don't think that issue is dead forever.

im cool with that

07-29-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't see us merging with DOT. I really don't. Does anyone else?

07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't see us merging with DOT. I really don't. Does anyone else?

id say there is a much greater chance of merging with DOT than being restricted to state roads. I don't think either will happen this year though. all this stuff already was denied not long ago

07-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Any brass in here? What do you guys thinks about being restricted to state roads & interstates or about merging with DOT?

07-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Any brass in here? What do you guys thinks about being restricted to state roads & interstates or about merging with DOT?

Succi is the only brass I see on here. He will reply I am sure.

07-30-2008, 03:02 AM

If you want my personal opinion, here are my thoughts.

Restricting FHP to State Roads does not make much sense. Our job is traffic enforcement anywhere in the State. The Sheriff's Departments do not have the manpower to handle it all. We need to concentrate on what we do best.

Merging with DOT has some merit. We use to have a weights division and gave it up. I would like everything dealing with traffic enforcement come under one agency. I would prefer that MCCO become a part of FHP and not FHP becoming a part of DOT.

Most States have some form of DPS that encompasses licensing of both the driver and the vehicle as well as traffic enforcement. Moving us out of DHSMV and away from DDL and DMV does not make sense.

That is just an old trooper's thoughts and probably way out of the same thought pattern of Staff.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

07-30-2008, 03:06 AM

Restricting FHP to State Roads does not make much sense. Our job is traffic enforcement anywhere in the State. The Sheriff's Departments do not have the manpower to handle it all. We need to concentrate on what we do best.

Merging with DOT has some merit. We use to have a weights division and gave it up. I would like everything dealing with traffic enforcement come under one agency. I would prefer that MCCO become a part of FHP and not FHP becoming a part of DOT.

Most States have some form of DPS that encompasses licensing of both the driver and the vehicle as well as traffic enforcement. Moving us out of DHSMV and away from DDL and DMV does not make sense.

That is just an old trooper's thoughts and probably way out of the same thought pattern of Staff.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

I agree! I would hate to be restricted to certain areas by law! :x

07-30-2008, 09:47 PM

Restricting FHP to State Roads does not make much sense. Our job is traffic enforcement anywhere in the State. The Sheriff's Departments do not have the manpower to handle it all. We need to concentrate on what we do best. We also need to stop crying about working a parking lot wreck, if it is your car damaged in that parking lot don't you think you deserve a proper investigation, note I said investigation and report?
Merging with DOT has some merit. We use to have a weights division and gave it up. I would like everything dealing with traffic enforcement come under one agency. I would prefer that MCCO become a part of FHP and not FHP becoming a part of DOT. Just another old fart here, FHP did not just have a weights division, the current FDOT was created from FHP's weights division. Just like FDLE was created with about 20 or so troopers when it was started. FHP is far more connected to these other agencies then their current members know or want to know.

Most States have some form of DPS that encompasses licensing of both the driver and the vehicle as well as traffic enforcement. Moving us out of DHSMV and away from DDL and DMV does not make sense. I think FHP, FDOT or MCCO, and the old FMP, that is Florida Marine Patrol to you rookies on the department, should all be merged into one stand alone agency, Fish and Game can stay their own and patrol the inland areas. This would give you lots of choices in your career, you could do traffic, you could do truck enforcement or if you wanted yo could do marine enforcement. That would be the best way to go.

That is just an old trooper's thoughts and probably way out of the same thought pattern of Staff. Staff, ours and the other departments are more worried with defending their territory then what is best for the members or the state and its citizens and visitors and that is sad indeed.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi