PDA

View Full Version : Still lying and has no idea what he's talking about

07-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Seeking votes and a star-shaped badge
Ideas for Sarasota County Sheriff's Office from three Republicans vying for the post
By Anthony Cormier

Published: Monday, July 21, 2008 at 2:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, July 21, 2008 at 12:57 a.m.
SARASOTA COUNTY - For such a high-profile job, the candidates for sheriff are relatively unknown.

And with the primary about a month away, the Republican candidates -- Larry Dunklee, Dave Gustafson and Tom Knight -- are trying their best to let voters know who they are, what they want to do and how they plan to do it.

The primary winner faces Democratic candidate Curt Lavarello in the general election.

Whoever wins that vote, on Nov. 4, will face issues including a shrinking budget and low morale. Here is a look at some of the Republicans' ideas heading into the Aug. 26 primary, based on interviews with the Herald-Tribune and an editorial board questionnaire.

Q:Would you make any changes to the proposed budget?A:DUNKLEE: I would probably like to combine a couple of captain's duties and possibly two lieutenants' positions. And with those cuts I'd like to fund a staff inspections position, two gangs positions and possibly a research-and-development position.

GUSTAFSON: The most important thing I want to do is get rid of the expensive SUVs that the staff drives. Some people need them -- the K-9 deputies, bomb disposal units, people who are carrying around a lot of equipment. But the staff members will not drive them.

KNIGHT: I would do a zero-based budget and hire a chief financial officer. I think we need a line-item budget for every program within the organization, so that the item justifies its existence.

Q:As sheriff, what would you like the command staff to look like?

A:DUNKLEE: I really can't tell you that yet because we're not sure what the budget is going to look like. Obviously there will be some restructuring, but a lot of what happens depends on what the budget is like in the future. I can let you know that I think the gangs positions and the staff inspections position are important. But if we have to cut the budget again, those things may go out the door.

GUSTAFSON: I'm going to do it with half the people. You know, (former Sheriff) Jeff Monge had six staff members at captain or above. Under this administration, it grew to 22. I can do it with half the people. I'm not saying that I'm going to terminate people or take their jobs away. We'll do it through attrition. I don't want these people sitting inside just sucking down paychecks.

KNIGHT: I need to do a staff inspection first, to take a look and make sure those positions are justified. I have an inkling that the command staff needs to be reduced, but I'd like to do it through attrition.

Q:How does the Sheriff's Office decide where to conduct drug stings? Is a busy restaurant a good location?

A:DUNKLEE: The bottom line is a lot of these things are predicated on what the drug dealer wants to do. But you need to keep in mind that officer safety and the safety of the innocent public are the most important things in any situation like this.

GUSTAFSON: The problem is a lot of times the drug smuggler picks the location. And they pick a place where they know the chances are less that they are going to be dealing with a police officer. These things are planned, but the best plans can go badly in a matter of seconds.

KNIGHT: I don't want to criticize another agency, but I think that every location should be heavily scrutinized beforehand. And, ultimately, I'm going to be the responsible party if something goes wrong. I'll be the one to speak to the public if something happens.

Q:Each candidate has cited low morale as a major issue inside the department. How do you plant to combat it?

A:DUNKLEE: My command staff will be working evenings and weekends more often as well as working in the jail periodically to better learn the pulse of the agency, and provide for better communication. I will look at enhancing or changing the current progressive discipline system that we currently use and make sure that it is enforced consistently.

GUSTAFSON: To be successful as sheriff, I need to surround myself with quality personnel that share my management philosophy. To lead by example. Be straight-forward in communicating decisions. Be fair and consistent.

KNIGHT: Subjective promotional policies and inconsistent discipline -- both of which speak to the basic issue of fairness -- must also be examined when analyzing morale at the SSO. Employees have an expectation of fair treatment, while management has an obligation to support that expectation.

07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
No wonder he and his brother are gone. They didn't do any of these things Knight said he will do at SSO.

07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Chris Knight was caught lying to the troopers shortly after he took over the Patrol.

The knight family has no credibility.