PDA

View Full Version : Budget and Lay Offs

07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
As a resident of Pinellas County for over 35 years, I am curious. What is happening to Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. I have never heard of layoffs in the agency.

We travel throughout Florida and times are tough; but why is Pinellas County's Sheriff's Office falling apart? Layoffs, disbanding specialty units that it hasn't taken years to implement, for what? News articles quote the sheriff stating crime is going to rise as the economy goes south. With all the layoffs he will need even more attorneys to fight the lawsuits his members have encountered.

Another question, support staff (civilians) at the sheriff's office are suppose to be covered under "Civil Service Act" what does that mean. I am personally aware that long standing members were contacted and told their assignment was no longer necessary and to contact HR to look for another position, yet other members with less seniority haven't been downgraded or demoted. Why not start at the top ranking certified members and cut their salary by $10,000 a year rather than support personnel?

It seems to me the citizens of Pinellas would like to feel confident that they are safe with Pinellas Sheriff's Office patrolling, securing and readily available to assist requests they require.