PDA

View Full Version : PBA, Can we do this (What Delray PD is thinking about) JH?

07-21-2008, 03:44 AM
PBA can we do this? Or take a vote on it? PLEASE???????????

Despite savings, Delray officials loath to hand policing to sheriff's office
Listen to this article or download audio file.

By DON JORDAN

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, July 20, 2008

DELRAY BEACH — Lower costs. Better resources. Higher pay.

These are the benefits municipalities gain when they transfer their policing to the county, according to the sheriff's office.

City police union leaders suggest that it could be the solution for a cash-strapped city such as Delray Beach, saying rank-and-file officers would favor the move over proposed cuts to the department.

"It would mean one word: savings," said Sgt. Vinnie Gray, the city's police union spokesman.

But city leaders say the transfer isn't likely to happen.

Even the mayor, who said this month that "everything was on the table," acknowledged that the move is perhaps the one thing that isn't on it.

"I wouldn't seriously consider it, nor would the citizens of our city," Mayor Rita Ellis said. "We can address the needs of our city much better than the county can."

City and union leaders will begin negotiating a new contract soon.

Hanging over the talks is an estimated $8 million budget shortfall and two reports from a budget task force charged with sifting through the city's finances to determine where money can be saved. The group has made 29 recommendations to the city commission that would have cut $2.4 from the current budget and nearly $600,000 from future costs. More than half of the recommendations affect the police or fire departments.

The proposals include reducing the percentage of salary used to determine how much the police and fire pension plan pays out to retired employees and reducing the percentage of fire and police base wages paid annually to a retiree insurance fund from 3.3 percent to 2 percent.

Of 60 city employees who earned more than $100,000 last year, 51 are in the fire or police departments, according to the task force report.

"They're crying that they're broke and need budget cuts and have no money," said Gray, adding that joining the sheriff's office is "the answer."

"The city doesn't want to do this because they'll lose control," he said.

Union officials are reviewing the city's proposed budget to identify other possible cuts, Gray said.

A number of municipalities in the county have turned over their policing to the sheriff's office in recent years. The sheriff's department operates in the unincorporated areas of the county, as well as Mangonia Park, Royal Palm Beach, Belle Glade, Pahokee, Wellington, South Bay and Lake Park.

Royal Palm Beach Village Manager David Farber said the transition was relatively painless and provided greater resources at a cheaper cost.

The sheriff's department absorbed the village's police force in 2006. Within the first year, the village saved nearly $2.4 million.

"They function as if they're a local police department," said Farber, adding that he chats with a sheriff's captain at least once a day.

The changeover in Mangonia Park in early 2007 was a bit rockier, as the two agencies had trouble merging records and vehicles, Town Manager Lee Leffingwell said.

"It was a little chaotic at first, but then it settled down," said Leffingwell, adding that the town has saved money without sacrificing the quality of policing. "They have more resources, more equipment, more of everything."

The sheriff's office and Lake Worth officials are negotiating turning that city's police over to the county.

But what's good for one city might not be good for Delray Beach, said Sheriff Ric Bradshaw, adding that deputies and Lake Worth officers work closely in certain situations, such as gang-related crimes.

Without examining Delray Beach's budget, "you can't even begin to talk about what the dynamics are," Bradshaw said. "I know absolutely nothing about their police department."

Although the transfer probably would save the city money, city commissioners say a change would be short-sighted.

Commissioner Woodie McDuffie, who has joined police on numerous ride-alongs since taking his seat, said he has seen the value of quality community policing.

"We have officers that work particular neighborhoods and the people in the neighborhoods know them," McDuffie said. "They roll their windows down. They talk to people. They get out of their cars.

"I'd be hard-pressed to give that away." ~'don_jordan@pbpost.com

07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????DO WHAT ?????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????? DO WHAT????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

07-22-2008, 02:37 AM
I say, its worth a shot!

07-25-2008, 05:54 AM
LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN! Take a vote and see what the rest of the tribe has to say, please !

07-25-2008, 04:22 PM
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I AM NOT TRYING TO BASH, DISPARGE OR DENOUNCE ANYONE BUT YOU NEED TO WAKE UP. THE PBA OF PALM BEACH COUNTY IS LYING TO YOU. THEY DO NOT HAVE YOUR DEPARTMENTS BEST INTEREST AT HEART. DO NOT BLAME YOUR PBA REPRESENTATIVES FOR THEY ARE BEING MISLED BY KAZ AND HIS GROUP. YOU NEED TO BE MORE VIGILANT OF WHAT IS GOING ON.

07-25-2008, 04:40 PM
NO WAY! PBA ROCKS! and so do our reps, well atleast BW and JH, not a big fan of the other guy who looks like an older version of that little kid from the movie Jerry McGuire????

07-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Sounds good to me, lets take a vote. Maybe this will work its way to the PBA and our reps.

07-25-2008, 10:26 PM
This is my three numbers for the summer trifecta, you can bet on this as I'm quite sure of this and I will tell you why!!
FIRST RACE-
I will take Chief Kelly to Win! First, most of the Officers back him and remember that he has hired all of us except for a handful. He doesn't have control over the Board or Johnson, and he has grown this Department from 20 Officers in 1990 to 165 today. Also the City of Delray has said no to their Officers before they even asked. Even Kaz has said as a Department we don't have the problems with excessive discipline.
You do your job and you are left alone to be incharge at your school.

I will take this Department to Place! This Department isn't going anywhere, yes some of the things that are going on do hurt. Not filing in for Officers that leave, but we will get along well and move on. This hard time will be like the ones before as it will last for awhile then get better, as the area picks back up.

I will take the PBA to Show! The PBA is our only game, the Officers have asked for a long time, what are they doing for our dues? Now they are doing something and some don't care for it. It may change things it may not, but we are showing the Board that we are not going to roll over and play dead any more. This is the right move and will pay off in the long run.

So here is the picks again in order/
THE CHIEF TO WIN
THE DEPARTMENT TO PLACE
THE PBA TO SHOW
THIS IS THE WINNING SUMMER TRIFECTA

07-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Jon, good info. Makes sense to me, but I still dont trust Johnson and his crew. They have to go ASAP, and the PBA is helping with that.

07-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Southend SRO you are one of the true idiots that will hamper the forward progress of this department. Now JH you know better than to be a bettor! JH I trust you have the best interest of the boyz at hand but even you are being misled by Kaz and his band of merry men. Break away now and lead this department in a manner that can only be done by someone from within it. Kaz does not give a rats arse about me, you or the department. As for you Southend you should just shut the Truck up an go collect your freakin social security already it is the spineless brainless morons such as yourself that has this department in the shape it is.

07-26-2008, 12:02 AM
AND I guess the shape of the department has nothing to do with your negative, and angry attitude toward anyone and everyone that does not agree with you.
If you think you have it all figured out, give us some guidance in what you think should be done, instead of interjecting childish behavior.

07-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Is the question you ask of me or PBA MONITOR? I'm not sure you are speaking to me or to PBA MONITOR.
Is this to me ''what you think should be done, instead of interjecting childish behavior.''

07-26-2008, 02:44 AM
AND I guess the shape of the department has nothing to do with your negative, and angry attitude toward anyone and everyone that does not agree with you.
If you think you have it all figured out, give us some guidance in what you think should be done, instead of interjecting childish behavior.Did I hurt your feelings little boy? Or maybe the feelings of your pal? You see I am not looking for anyone to agree with me about anything, I am just telling it like it is and people like you and your small minded friend need to hear the facts. I agree it is childish but it is the only level you understand. The intellectual approach was already tried with you idiots and you insisted on bashing the people who were trying to help. So now you are complaining because I am speaking to you and your simpleton friends in the only manner you are capable of comprehending. As for leading you pork pullers are not interested in someone to lead you. All you jerks want is someone to blame for your own inadequacies. You need to grow up and stop whining about the way someone chose to describe your stupidy. If you want to define immaturity just look in the mirror. Oh yeah before I forget JH don't be misled anymore.....watch out!! Not only do you have to fight the forces of evil (KAZ) but also the dimwits in your own department.

07-26-2008, 06:01 PM
PBA Monitor, you are an idiot, and I am sad to say I work with you. Your comments are so ridiculous.

At any rate, JH you are right! So many people complained about the PBA not doing anything for us, so they step up. They show the board we are sick and tired of being treated like garbage. We are the bottom of the totem pole, and its about time we do something about it. I back the PBA for what they are doing and our reps. Thanks for your honesty and ignoring the horrible comments left by others.

07-26-2008, 06:28 PM
PBA Monitor, you are an idiot, and I am sad to say I work with you. Your comments are so ridiculous.

At any rate, JH you are right! So many people complained about the PBA not doing anything for us, so they step up. They show the board we are sick and tired of being treated like garbage. We are the bottom of the totem pole, and its about time we do something about it. I back the PBA for what they are doing and our reps. Thanks for your honesty and ignoring the horrible comments left by others.
AAWWW is that the best you could do? And if I'm an idiot where does that leave you who has a very low level of intelligence. You think my comments are ridiculous because they are truthful, well that's just too bad. The sooner you recognize how stupid you are the better off this department will be. SO say what you want the bottom line is that you are a moron.

07-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't even work at your department. I just wanted to see what was going on over there.

I did learn one thing. PBA Monitor, your an idiot!!!!

07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you Kaz, but you are the true Arse wipe around here.