PDA

View Full Version : On the killing of Fort Myers Police Officer Andrew Widman

07-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Press Release:
July 18, 2008

Statement: On the killing of Fort Myers Police Officer Andrew Widman.

We join our entire City in mourning the loss of officer Widman, who was murdered this morning while serving and protecting our community. We express our sympathies to his Family, Friends and Fort Myers Police Department. Officer Widman paid the ultimate sacrifice in service to his fellow men and our City that mourns his death.

Respectfully Submitted
Anthony Thomas Jr.
Chairman of Citizens For A Better Fort Myers Government

07-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Lee NAACP president's statement
Willie Green, president of the Lee County NAACP, offered his condolences to the family of fallen officer Andrew Widman, as well as the Fort Myers Police Department.

“It is certainly a sad day,” Green said. “This was a useless killing.”

Green said though is organization is often critical of the police department, the community should not tolerate violence in any form.

“I was obviously shocked to hear such a thing, and in the area where it happened,” Green said. “You would think of this kind of thing happening in a more high-crime area. It just goes to show you that violence can happen in any place. I am just filled with the sickness of sorrow.”

— Rachel Myers

07-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Gov. Crist releases statement
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist released a statement today regarding Fort Myers Police Officer Andrew Widman’s killing.

“Today I share the sorrow of Florida’s law enforcement family as we mourn the loss of Officer Andrew Widman who was tragically killed in the line of duty this morning,” he said. “I join the Fort Myers community and all Floridians in expressing my deepest sympathy and prayers for Officer Widman’s wife and three children.

“Officer Widman will be remembered as a hero who cared deeply about keeping his community safe,” Crist said.

“His life will long symbolize the outstanding work Florida’s law enforcement officers perform every day and I thank every officer for protecting and keeping Floridian's safe.”

07-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Congressman Mack's statement
Congressman Connie Mack sent out a statement this afternoon about the shooting death of Fort Myers Police Officer and Cape Coral resident Andrew Widman.

“Every day, police officers take great risks to keep our communities safe,” he said. “Officer Widman’s tragic death is an all-too stark reminder of those risks, and of the personal sacrifices made by police officers and their families.”

Mack said Widman “represented what is good and right about our law enforcement personnel. My heart, and Mary’s, goes out of Officer Widman’s family and to the men and women of the Fort Myers Police Department. They are in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult and tragic time.”

07-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Florida attorney general's statement
TALLAHASSEE, FL — Attorney General Bill McCollum today issued the following statement on the shooting death of Fort Myers Police Officer Andrew Widman:

“I’m deeply saddened by the shooting death of Fort Myers Police Officer Andrew Widman, who lost his life while protecting other citizens. My heartfelt condolences go out to his wife and young children, family, friends and colleagues.

“This is a difficult time for Florida’s law enforcement community, as Officer Widman’s death comes just weeks after the line-of-duty slaying of Tomoka Corrections Officer Donna Fitzgerald. Like Officer Fitzgerald, Officer Widman will always be remembered for his dedication to the safety of his community. I offer my prayers and support to the victims' families, friends and colleagues during this challenging time.”

07-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Cape mayor orders flags to be flown at half staff
Cape Coral Mayor Eric Feichthaler has released the following statement in reference to fallen Fort Myers Police Officer Andrew Widman:

“Today is a very sad day throughout our area. Fort Myers police officer, Andrew Widman, was senselessly taken away from us last night, as he worked to keep our community safe. Although he served the City of Fort Myers, he was also a Cape Coral resident. Our thoughts and prayers will be with his family, friends, and brothers and sisters at the Fort Myers Police Department through this very difficult time.

The City of Cape Coral will be flying our flag at half-staff today to mourn the loss of one of our own.”

northside
07-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Men and women of the FMPD, My heart goes out to all of you. We just went through it up here in Chicago on 02 JUL 08 when Officer Rick Francis was senselessly murdered. About the only thing us LEO's fear is what happened to Andy. That our children will be forced to grow up without us. Support each other. Remember what is really important in our lives. Rick was 60 yrs old and his children are grown. He had an amazing attitude on life. His favorite saying was " Isn't life great?" He truly lived each day as fully as possible. Something we all should aspire to do. My prayers go out to Andy's wife and young children. May the knowledge that thousands of people across the county that she will never meet are grieving with her. God Bless. 019 District Police Officer.

07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
There is no excuse for the inapropriate response from chief daniels! where the hell is he!!?? 3 days later ,still no appearence. Unless he is on a space mission, there is NO EXCUSE!! The sooner he is gone the better. This is tragedy enough without having to address this, but after 3 days -it had to be said!