PDA

View Full Version : USF Hiring

07-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Generally, how long is the process for a certified officer? I've got all my ducks in a row. Prefer to work St. Pete campus, but would accept any of the campuses. Thanks. Be safe

07-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Generally, how long is the process for a certified officer? I've got all my ducks in a row. Prefer to work St. Pete campus, but would accept any of the campuses. Thanks. Be safe

Our website is showing that we are not hiring for Officer positions, but call to double check. As with many agencies, USF (the University) is dealing with crippling budget cuts. To answer your question, expect about 4 months from start to finish in the hiring process; then there will be at least 3.5 months of a very intense FTO program at the Tampa campus (even for certified).

That having been said, it is a good place to work, and the students love us here. My advice: do ride-alongs and ask as many questions as possible to the 'rank and file' before you sign a contract. The contract is a real piece of work...a three year commitment and a yearly decreasing dollar amount is owed if you leave prior (starting at about 12k).

"git there the firstest with the mostest"

07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I was in the process of coming on with USF, but after examining all the "crap" its not worth it. 3 year contract which can be fought with a good labor attorney, you have to pay for parking, and your starting pay is "terrible". When you look at all the conditions... what does USF do for the officers to make life and their job pleasant.. nothing. ! Good Luck Guys .. you will need it!

07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I was in the process of coming on with USF, but after examining all the "crap" its not worth it. 3 year contract which can be fought with a good labor attorney, you have to pay for parking, and your starting pay is "terrible". When you look at all the conditions... what does USF do for the officers to make life and their job pleasant.. nothing. ! Good Luck Guys .. you will need it!

I AGREE with your comments about our having to pay to park here. It is BULL$HIT! Sure, everybody else at the university has to pay, but our peers at local agencies dont have to pay to park, like in a parking garage downtown, because they have a TAKEHOME! And, that saves them $$$$$ in gas and fees! If other USF employees cry and whine if we get free parking, then lets see them run TOWARD the trouble next time there is a report of a person with a gun, instead of hiding in their offices!

On the 3 year contract, I am not crazy about it either. But the admin had to do something to stop us from leaving so quickly. We were losing so many of us and now patrol is almost all new faces. That sucks.

Anyway, if you plan to stay here then why are you concerned about the contract? Planning to use us for a paycheck until your former department can hire you back from layoff?? If so, WE DON"T NEED YOU!

07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
According to the website, hiring for LEO at Tampa is finished. Don't expect any new faces here anytime soon.

But, do enjoy the thousands of dollars spent on the new restrooms and lockers .....my morale is skyrocketing.

07-16-2008, 01:39 AM
According to the website, hiring for LEO at Tampa is finished. Don't expect any new faces here anytime soon.

But, do enjoy the thousands of dollars spent on the new restrooms and lockers .....my morale is skyrocketing.

Not that I'm defending the university, but a lot of those funds come from private sources. Still, it would be nice to have some donations for take-homes and more officers. :D

07-16-2008, 01:42 AM

According to the USF employment website, applications are currently being accepted for law enforcement officers at the St. Pete campus.

Good luck! :D

07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/15/news/ec ... 2008071508 (http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/15/news/economy/fleet_gas/index.htm?postversion=2008071508)