PDA

View Full Version : New Crash Report

07-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Capt,

What can you tell us about the new crash report.

Where did the request for a new form come from?
Any idea how long before it will be implemented?
Is there any time or attention for additional suggestions?

07-13-2008, 01:38 AM
the new crash report will be quicker and easier. it will copy and past any state x43. 28's and 27'. short narrative and no more diagrams.

07-13-2008, 01:59 AM
No diagrams? I find that hard to believe. The S-4 is our bread and butter. It's the one thing that we do not need to water down. Capt. Succi, Say it ain't so! Also is the vehicle property report going to be added to the SmartCop? For a report that is required for 90% of the OIR's that we do (and we do a lot), it's not on the SmartCop.

Thank You Sir! ....As always: You Da Man!!

07-13-2008, 02:42 AM
Here is what is going on with the new crash report. We are working on a prototype to deliver to the crash report committee very soon for their approval.

I will be in Tallahassee to meet with CTS/SmartCop to hopefully finish it. If anyone claims to know what it contains, that is interesting as there have been two of working on it.

The new applications are built on web services which will make transmitting much quicker.

Features:
1. Slightly longer, but that is because it will be approximately 90% compliant with the Federal guidelines.
2. Everything will be pasteable. Paste passengers from 10-27, etc. You will be able to paste data from one section to another.
3. While in the driver section you hit a button and create a citation and all the data is automatically pasted. While in the vehicle section, hit a button and create a tow sheet and all the information automatically pastes. All section are like this.
4. There will be a narrative and diagram section for long forms. Short forms will not require that narrative and diagram. Both reports will be the same and only one set of HSMV numbers.
5. Vehicles, drivers and passengers will automatically number. If you want to make V-2, V-1 you just move it up and the driver and passenger numbers change. If you want to renumber the passenger, just move it up the list and all are adjusted accordingly.
6. The UTC will be changing basically the same way.
7. Offense Incident Reports and Arrest Notice to Appear are changing to meet our needs and to get away from year old forms that have not been updated since their inception.
8. You fill out (pasting can be done) a generic form then select from a drop down which form you want and it pastes the data to that form. You can paste to an OIR, then select a booking sheet and paste to that. We hope to have several of the counties' booking sheets available to us in our application.

There are many new and exciting things coming with our applications. We hope to have them available before the first of the year. It will require a committee's approval fro the crash report and Staff's approval for some of the other stuff.

We are working as hard and as fast as we can. There is a lot that goes into making things happen and there are only so many hours in the day.

The Colonel and Staff support and encourage the changes, but policies and some laws will have to be changed too.

We hope to have it out either before or at the same time as the new computers we are currently testing to purchase.

There is a lot coming, stay tuned.

07-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Sorry for some of the spelling errors, normally I use Word and copy and paste. Time for bed, getting up early to go to Tally tomorrow.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

07-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Captain Succi,

If there are going to be any interim changes to SmartCop, I would suggest:

Being able to paste passengers from the 10-27 repsonse. Currently, you must have an actual DL to swipe in order to paste passenger information.

Modifying the "other violations/comments" section of the UTC to allow the same number of characters being typed to appear on the printed citation. Currently, you can type more than will actually show up. The same is true for the Tow Log property section.

Thanks Captain. You are one of the true leaders in this organization!

07-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Captain Succi,

If there are going to be any interim changes to SmartCop, I would suggest:

Being able to paste passengers from the 10-27 repsonse. Currently, you must have an actual DL to swipe in order to paste passenger information.

Modifying the "other violations/comments" section of the UTC to allow the same number of characters being typed to appear on the printed citation. Currently, you can type more than will actually show up. The same is true for the Tow Log property section.

Thanks Captain. You are one of the true leaders in this organization!

You can paste from a 10-27 or by swipe. For the UTC we are still bound by many of the edit rules established by DDL.

In the tow log, what you type is what you get.

I've stated before, DDL is in charge of citations and DAS is in charge of the crash report. We have a chance to make a difference in the crash reports, but DAS has final say. I just hope my unique inter-personal skills will encourage them to accept most of what we have in the new report.

The other reports are our reports and we can do what we want, almost. So if you want changes, let me know ASAP, don't know how many chances I will have with this.

I don't do politics very well!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Captain; for the UCR reports, can we get a "persons report"? This report would just be an add on page to the OIR/PC/ARREST reports with just fields for additional victims, witnesses, reporting persons, suspects etc. Also could you tweak the OIR so it can be transmitted into the system? Last thing. I don't know how many troops use the Field Interview Reports. On the pike, we "F.I." people we contact loitering in the plazas, around high problem tolls at night etc. The system has never worked right so we could electronically share the info via the MNI.

Thanks

07-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Captain; for the UCR reports, can we get a "persons report"? This report would just be an add on page to the OIR/PC/ARREST reports with just fields for additional victims, witnesses, reporting persons, suspects etc. Also could you tweak the OIR so it can be transmitted into the system? Last thing. I don't know how many troops use the Field Interview Reports. On the pike, we "F.I." people we contact loitering in the plazas, around high problem tolls at night etc. The system has never worked right so we could electronically share the info via the MNI.

Thanks

All the UCR reports are changing and getting away from the FDLE reports. Waiting to resolve some issues with the Office of Program and Planning (same people with the RDA).

I will see about adding the F.I. data to the MNI.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

07-16-2008, 12:14 AM
are we EVER going to be able to paste out of state D/L/s on crash reports or citations.... it takes a while to have manually type it all ?????

07-16-2008, 01:15 AM
If we could just get everybody stamped with a bar code on their forehead....

07-16-2008, 02:05 AM
are we EVER going to be able to paste out of state D/L/s on crash reports or citations.... it takes a while to have manually type it all ?????

Yes from the card swipe, not from the 10-27 because not every state uses the same reporting format in a 10-27 response.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

07-17-2008, 12:45 PM
when the swiper is working you mean ???
Mine has not worked since day one, and NOONE seems to want to or know how to fix it....

My supervisor tells me one thing, the Dist. Capt tells me something else, and the Folks in Middleburg tell me something else all together.....

07-17-2008, 02:25 PM
when the swiper is working you mean ???
Mine has not worked since day one, and NOONE seems to want to or know how to fix it....

My supervisor tells me one thing, the Dist. Capt tells me something else, and the Folks in Middleburg tell me something else all together.....

Can't do anything for anonymous.

Send me a state email and I will get you one.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Captain Succi,

In this thread when you refer to the new crash report, are you referencing a new interface from SmartCop only or the new redesigned crash report that will be coming out in 2010? To me, one of the best things about the electronic form is that we can have fields to satisfy the MMUCC that can be transmitted electronically to USDOT/NHTSA without the need to have it appear on a printed crash report. This is great because we can gather a lot of important data that a party in a crash or an insurance company doesn't need to see on their report, but that the FDOT state safety office and the federal government need.

If your reference is about the new interface within SmartCop only and not the 2010 redesign, do you have an idea of when the update and new laptops will be hitting the field? Can you share what laptop brands are being considering for the next phase?

Also, a question about the city field in the crash report. If "00" is entered for city, "unincorporated" automatically appears in the "In/Near City or Town" field of the SmartCop report. If the location is in an unincorporated area, the Crash Report Manual instructs us to list the distance and direction from the nearest city. Therein lies my confusion. The "city" field is automatically populated with "unincorporated" but it seems that we should then delete "unincorporated" and replace it with the name of the nearest city, keeping the "00" in the city "code" field). Is that correct?

As for the longitude and latitude fields, it is my understanding that the feds are going to want location data in that format in the future. If we are sitting in a parking lot off the highway or on the side of the road and hit the "paste from GPS" button, the coordinates being entered are not going to show the actual POC of the crash, and in fact could show a location that is not even on the road where the crash happened. If, for safety reasons, I cannot drive my car to the POC and paste the GPS, I use Google maps to determine the exact lat/lon coordinates and then enter that into the report. How critical will this be as we move forward?

Finally, the Florida Traffic Crash Manual and the FHP manual for SmartCop both instruct us to place node numbers on the report but virtually nobody is doing it. What are your thoughts on that?

07-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Dude I love you but you need a life. Maybe a girlfriend. No man should be that anal about a crash report!

07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
The new crash report will be out later this year or early next year if I can get it approved. It will fully transmit data to FDOT.

It is totally different from what we have now. It will be fully MMUCC compliant and most of it will print out on the report. There will be some stuff that is sent to FDOT that comes from linking other databases, but neither you nor anyone else will see that data. (Daily vehicle count for a particular road.)

We are currently testing the Panasonic CF-30 (full size laptop), CF-19 (tablet laptop), General Dynamic VR-2 (full size) and the XR-1 (full size). The XR-1 is being limited due to issues we have found that does not make it conducive to our work. I expect to also test some Dell rugged computers, but I don’t know which ones. We are in the process of buying 45 Pocket Ticket Writers for the motor units. Laptops will be purchased around the first of the year.

The City name is populated from the City code automatically. Unincorporated is linked to 00. When you put the distance in, delete Unincorporated and put the City name in its place.

For the GPS location, if you move your mouse over the location while in MapPoint (in SmartCOP) the GPS displays. You cannot paste that but it displays for you to copy. In the new crash you will have an actual field to paste the data, and then you can edit it easily.

Node numbers are gone forever I hope. I haven’t used a node in 25 years (yeah I know I haven’t worked the road in 25 years.).

A lot of politics in changing anything, especially the crash report. This is a major change and people don’t accept change very well. As with anything there will be things you like and things you don’t like. It will be different and not look like anything you have now.

We have the report finished. I’m currently reviewing each section cell by cell. As soon as that is done and the modifications made then we will do the print layout. Everything should be done by August 1 to present to the committee for their review and to establish edit rules for each cell.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi