PDA

View Full Version : Who are you voting for?????

07-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Just wanted to find out who is more liked at this point in the game.

07-11-2008, 03:03 AM
Benton- I for one am happy with the current Sheriff. Yes there is always the normal BS but for the most part she has done a great job! People give her a hard time for spending money however she has done a lot of work getting everything up to date.

Rowan- I know nothing about him other than he kept himself out of the news for the short time he was interm Chief. I would like to know more about his campaign.

Grimming- I have heard from a few retired FHP that he is a piece of crap.

07-11-2008, 03:18 AM
It's funny how everyone forgets how things were before Sheriff Benton. Sure some of us have a beef with certain people that's been put in certain positions. But people should stop being so bloody judgemental and step back to look at all the good she's done for us too. She has brought our equipment up to par with other agencies, enlisted a person that has finally brought us training, gotten us accredited, consolidated dispatch, brought online a whole new system that makes our report writting easier as well as vastly improves the way we share information (smart cops), cameras in all of the patrol cars as well as new led light bars. The list goes on and on and on. Funny how fast we forget about all that though. And alot of you newer guys please don't be so quick to chime in, Most all of you guys weren't even around to experience the cave man like work environment that used to exist before Benton became Sheriff. So Mike Brown and Bobby Duncan hold a car wash of a bar b' q every freaking weekend to raise money for the competition. Don't make me freakin laugh. They only do it out of spite and the fact that theyre still pissed of 4 years later.
Oh and that reminds me. If the competition means that those guys come back to the S.O. you had best vote Benton right away, because trust me, things will only become ugly LOL.

07-11-2008, 03:46 AM
I believe if you compare the budgets from Sheriff Godwin and Sheriff Benton you will see how all of the new toys were purchased. If you look at all of the money that has been spent over the past few years it will show. It's not about the go but all about the show. The moral is at an all time low and the administration feels that if we just keep spending everyone will be happy. I feel that the public should have the right to step in and say that the spending needs to stop. Let’s get the deputies back in the neighborhoods and stop attempting to raise the spending limits. I for one have not seen a Deputy in my neighborhood in months but I have sure seen them on the highways. I believe that it’s time to become conservative and elect a new sheriff who is a little more down to earth. If you haven't spoken with Mr. Grimming you and the taxpaying citizens of Highlands County need to listen to his ideas.

07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Before you vote for Grimming, talk to some people that worked with and/or for him. He was not liked by the troopers, and did nothing progressive for them. If he was so great why is he still not their? I will tell you, he was not liked by anybody (troopers included). Rowan doesn't have enough experience to run APPD let alone the S.O. Benton has brough the S.O. from a joke to a professional organization in her 4 years. All I have to do is think back about 5 years ago when H.G. was sheriff and say "Thank you Sheriff Benton." and have 4 more years.

07-11-2008, 10:37 PM
I still say Benton is best. I have heard about the D/S's getting stranded on the side of the road because Godwin never wanted to spend the money. So what if she is spending the budget that was planned to spend. If what was left was divided up between the citizens of HC they would maybe get 10 dollars or probably less than that. All of the increase in technology helps keep the citizens and law enforcement safe in this county. It is in no way all about the look. If you want to talk about how stuff looks and how someone is trying to look better take a look at Godwin who spent as little as possible and gave back to the comissioners to look good. Also keep in mind after that they didnt go sending out checks to anyone either.

07-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Benton- you have brought us to the present, unfortunately your moral is really at an all time low. I was a strong supporter of yours, but my vote will be going in the Grimming box this time. We will not loose what you have brought us in the way of technology but the moral can only get better from here.

07-12-2008, 04:55 AM
i totally agree with the last poster. she has brought technology up to par. however she has let her admin completely treat people like crap bully the ones that are not in the click and throw people into useless ia's and when the officers proved they were innocent still allowed them to be disciplined with no cause. we need a sheriff that will stick up for the little people. not just the paper pushing admin that is in charge. after all. we are ones putting our lives on the line everyday. not them we are the ones having our files ruined because of stupid crap we are not even doing. we need a leader that will take care of us

07-13-2008, 12:16 AM
For those that do not realize it the last Sheriff spent absolutely nothing. Every spare cent went back to the county commissioners to make him look better and to please them. Well alot of that money that went back includes raise money, money for better training, and better equipment. Bottom line is if they give the money we should spend it for these things. ALSO alot of that money comes from grant money as Benton is very smart about using grant money for the good of us. So please don't preach about spending too much. Because when it comes to having smart well trained officers you can never spend enough. And if you think were ever going back to Barney fife-ville then some of you guys are living an impossible dream. The population will continue to rise and we HAVE to stay ahead of the game. So no. Stopping spending is NOT a good thing at all and I refuse to hear arguments to the contrary. And as for moral at an all time low. Yup, I do believe that to, and that is something I would like to see changed for sure. But please don't spak to me about clicks ok. This town runs on clicks, the peeps that grow up here stick to their own ONLY, and quite frankly if you weren't in our last Sheriff's click you you arse out as well. Or do we alll forget to quickly how Sheriff Benton was basically forced out of her position BECAUSE she was running for Sheriff. Those dudes did every thing possible to screw he up. So lets discus those clicks LOL.

07-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Almost forgot. I also think we should spend more times in the neighborhoods. Especially as that is what forces the bad guys out onto the highways. However Deputies answer absolutely rediculous calls ALOT. Not too mention there are times when there are just so many calls that it just never works out for them to get free to get to those neighborhoods. So alot of times it comes down to too much area and not enough D/S's. And just because yal DON'T see them doesn't mean their not there. Unless you spend all day staring out your window or posting lookout then you really don't know HOW many times a patrol comes by.

07-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Almost forgot. I also think we should spend more times in the neighborhoods. Especially as that is what forces the bad guys out onto the highways. However Deputies answer absolutely rediculous calls ALOT. Not too mention there are times when there are just so many calls that it just never works out for them to get free to get to those neighborhoods. So alot of times it comes down to too much area and not enough D/S's. And just because yal DON'T see them doesn't mean their not there. Unless you spend all day staring out your window or posting lookout then you really don't know HOW many times a patrol comes by.

i have seen state troopers in my area more than deputies. arent they suppose to be on the highways and not in these neighborhoods? not that i dont mind, at least there is a cop patroling, but how fast can someone be caught driving in these low speed roads?

07-13-2008, 12:54 PM
A little off topic of the whole vote thing but in reference to the sppeding you would be surprised. Some of these speeders have absolutely no regard for the safety of the residents. Were talking 20 miles per hour or more over the posted sped limit.

07-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Grimming. I am a retired trooper and can tell you that he did more for the FHP during his tenure than what was accomplished in the 20 years prior. All you have to do is contact him and meet him personally and you'll see what I mean.

He has more energy, ethics, experience and professionalism than you can ever imagine. When you talk to him, ask him why he left FHP and he'll tell you. I don't personally know any of the other candidates but I can tell you that you'll be extremely happy and impressed with Ron Grimming.

I'm also not sure where other posters have gotten their information about troopers not liking him - that is far from the truth.

not suprised
07-19-2008, 01:27 AM
I think that most of you that have been around have short memories. The new Sheriff is only taking credit for what the HG administration had already started.

08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I think that most of you that have been around have short memories. The new Sheriff is only taking credit for what the HG administration had already started.

Thats a fact! Godwin got the ball rolling for new software and the mobiles even if they dont want to give him credit for it.

08-02-2008, 03:41 AM
I don't want to take away from any of Howie's accomplishments but please give me a break. Howie had no intentions of putting computers in cars until it became a political issue prior to the completion of his last term. When I came to this agency I attempted to have wig-wag's(showing my age) put in my assigned vehicle. These were items that I brought with me. I was told that we couldn't have them installed because they might cause some senior citizen to crash their vehicle. When computers for patrol vehicles came out we were told we couldn't have them because they would cause Deputy's to wreck their vehicles.

So please give me a break about how things were started prior to Sheriff Benton taking over. Look at where we were, and where we are?!

I do not want to take away from anything that Sheriff Godwin accomplished during his tenure but we need to give credit where credit is deserved.

PS: I'm ready for your responses. Can we at least hold them down to the people that were here for the previous administration so that we can have an accurate response.

08-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Why do we want to justify our achievments and our failures by a comparison of an Administration, and the Administrator from 4 years ago. That was 4 years ago. If, you wish to address problems, lets look 4 years into the future. Lets recognize our achievements, and capitalize on them for the future. Let's learn from our failures, strengthen our resolve, and build a stronger organization with stronger personnel for the challenges that await for us If we continue to compare ourselves to the past, we will live in the past, and never secure the future growth of the needs of our Citizens now. The leadership of our organization is collectively strong. The focus though has been greatly detracted. That is accountable only to the Administrator of our organization. Our leadership has placed the helm of the organization into the hands of trusted soles that have never read a compass for direction, nor steered a heading true. As the Administrator walked about the 'ship' of the organization learning the crew, she forgot her focus. She forgot who was actually steering the organization. Yes, she is the Sheriff, the Boss, the 'Captain of the Ship' . But, those trusted soles has steered the 'ship' straight towards the rocks. The organization is slowly dissolving into the sea.

The question I pose: Do we save the 'Captain' and take charge of the 'Ship', and steer away from the rocks

or

Do we save the 'Ship' and take charge of the 'Captain', and steer away from the rocks

08-02-2008, 04:14 AM
Sebring 101, to what rocks are we steering? I’m afraid that you went to a Coast Guard meeting and picked up all of these really neat nautical phrases with out any actual knowledge of their true meaning, or their relationship to this agency.

I’m not sure if you recall how it was, so that you may compare it to what where we are? I can tell you from personal experience that we have experienced vast changes from the past to the present.

We have progressed from steam powered vessels to the new nuclear vessels. We have gone from wondering where people are to watching each others back by the computer screen in our vehicles. We have gone from wondering what activity is going on in the county to viewing it as it comes in on our computer screens. We have gone from waiting until Dispatch gives us a cal to viewing it as it comes in so that we can already be responding.

We have gone from searching individual data bases from various fields and multiplied by the year of occurrence to one single source. We used to spend so much time with documentation that it was almost comical and have reduced it to a working environment.

Have there been problems along our journey, yes, I would venture to say. But are we not better prepared today than yesterday to deal with our daily tasks.

We also do not rest on our laurals, we are held accountable and we are expected to handle the next situation better than the last.

As far as the Captain goes, I’ll stick with the one we have because if you do your research she is the one that got us to where we are. Remember, she didn’t do it alone and has never taken sole credit for our accomplishments.

I feel that you will take a slightly different view than I have but that’s what I like about America, we are all entitled to our own views and opinions.

I just think you are WRONG.

Anchors away.
Sheriff Benton has us steered towards an ever progressing agency to meet the needs of our citizens.

08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
JP,

First of all, I respect you for posting your name. Because of my current situation, I cannot at this time. You speak the truth and speak of specific facts and not generalizations as most do. Most on this site say the speak for others, although I question the existence of others. It is especially true when they speak of molale. If we have such a bad morale problem, why are all of these officers coming to the Sheriff's Office for employment. Why are current deputies recruiting them? I can assure you it's not for the recruitment bonus because most of these new employees are personal friends of the current deputies and their frienship is worth more than a few hundred dollars. The names of Smith, Worley, Abel, Plair, Livesay, Lightsey, Williams, Huften, Grieco, Moran, and Davidson ring a bell. All quality deputies/detectives/people and all came here because the morale is so bad. I think not. These are facts and not generalizations. The computer/Godwin statement gave me quite a chuckle. I still remember him giving back all that money to the county year after year and saying, and I quote, "I think all my deputies should have a second job." Anyways, enough with the past. It is common knowledge who are the few unhappy employees that are bitter for one reason or another. TO, BJ, JF, BN, KW, MS, and KA all have been spanked for minor things and they have turned into Benedict Arnolds. Training and the availability of modern equipment is the norm and not the exception. A new building in the horizon, more money than ever before, plus the new longevity benefit. A professional web-site and a competent law enforcement bureau which does what it says it's going to do. Bad guys going to jail, crimes being solved, and nothing in the future to stop it. Yes, we have issues like anyone else. There are a little too many complaints going to IA, but if you do your job like you should, that is a minor inconvenience in the entire scope of things. Brown was the great savior in the past and that didn't work out too well. Now it's Grimming to the rescue. What he is supposed to rescue is not apparent to me yet. I support Sheriff Benton and I got your back!

08-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Friend of JP,

You posted the following:

First of all, I respect you for posting your name. Because of my current situation, I cannot at this time. You speak the truth and speak of specific facts and not generalizations as most do. Most on this site say the speak for others, although I question the existence of others. It is especially true when they speak of molale. If we have such a bad morale problem, why are all of these officers coming to the Sheriff's Office for employment. Why are current deputies recruiting them? I can assure you it's not for the recruitment bonus because most of these new employees are personal friends of the current deputies and their frienship is worth more than a few hundred dollars. The names of Smith, Worley, Abel, Plair, Livesay, Lightsey, Williams, Huften, Grieco, Moran, and Davidson ring a bell. All quality deputies/detectives/people and all came here because the morale is so bad. I think not. These are facts and not generalizations. The computer/Godwin statement gave me quite a chuckle. I still remember him giving back all that money to the county year after year and saying, and I quote, "I think all my deputies should have a second job." Anyways, enough with the past. It is common knowledge who are the few unhappy employees that are bitter for one reason or another. TO, BJ, JF, BN, KW, MS, and KA all have been spanked for minor things and they have turned into Benedict Arnolds. Training and the availability of modern equipment is the norm and not the exception. A new building in the horizon, more money than ever before, plus the new longevity benefit. A professional web-site and a competent law enforcement bureau which does what it says it's going to do. Bad guys going to jail, crimes being solved, and nothing in the future to stop it. Yes, we have issues like anyone else. There are a little too many complaints going to IA, but if you do your job like you should, that is a minor inconvenience in the entire scope of things. Brown was the great savior in the past and that didn't work out too well. Now it's Grimming to the rescue. What he is supposed to rescue is not apparent to me yet. I support Sheriff Benton and I got your back!

Have to agree with what you have to say about JP.... he has never been one to keep his feelings about issues inside. Have to say thats one of the things that I admire about the guy......Since you didnt post your name I cant say if I have known him longer then your or not....all I can say is that while he and I dont always see eye to eye I respect his opinion.

For the record this is only the second time I have posted on this site....first time was while back when some folks were talking trash about Randy's family.

First, if I'm wrong about this I apologize ahead of time.....

In your posting you mentioned some initials and related them to Benedict Arnold...... letter BN were included. Now I am the first to say that I dont know all the folks at the SO.... THANKFULLY it has grown with the county and there are alot of new faces. So if you were not referring to me please read above....

If you were I have to have to take issue......There has been one person who has approached me and said that I was supporting another person for Sheriff. If you are in fact that one person, who I will not name in this setting, then I do feel sorry for you. Your status in the SO should preclude such postings...not to mention the fact that you were, during the same time frame, meeting with another person running for office....

If you are not that person then I offer this..... call me, stop me in the hall, come by my house or meet me for a cup of coffee after work...... give me a chance to respond to whatever you have heard or think. We may not agree on all issues but I will respect your stance. This is not a "get in your face" situation... I would just like the chance to respond, nothing more or less.

Everybody knows where I stood during the past election....have never tried to hide that. Sheriff Benton elected to put that aside and so have I. If you feel that getting information, listing to all sides and exercising my right to choose as being a Benedict Arnold then I feel sorry for the way you view our country. Many folks, including JP, have served our country to preserve that right.....

08-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Odd how this forum always get's off topic eventually isn't it. J.P. and J.P. friend you guys really don't need to explian anything. Especially since for all you know the neigh sayers might be for the other side just trying to use this as a forum to help their candidate. Lord knows there are still enough bitter people from the last election that have come back just for revenge. Then there's the open public. Most of which has never held a job in law enforcement and has absolutely no idea what is going on. But of course they will put their two cents in because they just can't help themselves.

But again. The topic is " Who are you voting for ".
I am voting for the person that realized the past administration cared only for appeasing the public at the cost of keeping its deputied well equipped and better trained.
I am voting for the person that got us respectibility through accreditation and has consolidated dispatch so were all on the same sheet of music
I am voting for the person that actually uses the money were are allotted each year (which by the way is OURS! to freakin use and not just send it back to make nice with the corrupt commissioners).
And I am voting for the person that actually knows this agency because she's been here and knows what our needs are.

Sheriff Benton I for one haven't forgotten what you brought for this agency and I am not so near sighted as to throw all that away simply because some of the higher ups you put in place have bad people skills. Youre name is where my check mark is going. The rest of you bashers need to at least show some respect to the lady that signs your checks every week. You know, the checks that are alot more than they were FOUR YEARS AGO!.

08-05-2008, 12:12 AM
This is for JP's friend. You say you can't give your name because of your current situation, funny how you can throw names and initials out, but you can't leave your own name? If you are such in the know and truely believe in the sheriff, then you have nothing to worry about. Have you talked to each person you mentioned or the initials of the people you used? To call people Bededict Arnold is not right, have you walked in their shoes? Do you really know what happened with some of those people? Funny how you didn't mention other people that have come from other agency's prior to the current administration. See some people start at smaller agencies and work to gain experience, then apply for larger agencies. This is a normal cycle in law enforcement. Sorry, but it doesn't always have to do with an administration. In some cases it does, but look around the country and see how many started in city departments and moved on. So JP's friend, know the facts before you start spread information. Oh and in America we have the right to choose who we vote for and are in a private booth to do so, in communist countries it doesn't work like that. So since I live in America, I will vote for who I feel is the right candidate.

08-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Dear Guest4680,

Your point is well taken. Thank you :snicker:

08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Whatever, I'm still voting for Grimming. I'd like to see a change.

08-06-2008, 06:03 AM
and what exacly makes Grimming stand out?

08-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Its the quality peeps that he has chosen to lead the next command staff with. Lets all take a look shall we? To start with we have a top notch security guard, a psycho ex-deputy, a garbage man, a hillbilly from LOWREEEDA, and the well known cry babies from the SO. Think silly rabbit B4 you ask a silly question will ya? :devil:

08-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Why do people talk for others on here. Guest do you know why those officer left their agencies? Was it for a bigger agency or were they unhappy, either way they decided to come to the S.O. I know why some of those officers left their agency but does that matter, No.

Bob good for you to stand up like that I would love to hear when that person approaches you.

I would love to see the deputies to come together and work as a unit. Most departments have a "one for all all for one" mind set. Why do we have a "me for me" mind set. Maybe because we hope to bet on the right horse and win a spot.

I wonder if anyone of us is out working and the shit hits the fan which attitude do you want your back up to have.

So to quote a famous criminal, " Cant we all get along" HA

Be safe out there we are the only ones watching our backs.