PDA

View Full Version : HARD TIMES 4 EVERYONE?

07-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Budget outruns resident increase
By PAUL QUINLAN
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 05, 2008
WEST PALM BEACH — The turn of the millennium marked the beginning of a hot streak for Florida, especially Palm Beach County.

For many of the more than 1,000 newcomers who streamed into Florida every day, Palm Beach County was the destination. Between then and now, the county's population grew 12 percent as 135,000 new residents moved in - more than all other Florida counties except the two immediately to the south.

Graphic: County government staff growth

But that was merely a growth spurt compared with the metamorphosis the county's government has undergone during that time.

Flush with cash from the South Florida building boom and real estate run-up, Palm Beach County borrowed, spent and hired lavishly and aggressively, increasing its government staff twice as fast as the population.

The $2.2 billion budget nearly doubled to more than $4 billion, as the staff ballooned from 9,320 to 11,564, budget records show. Borrowing increased the county's annual debt payments from $38 million in 2001 to a projected $75 million in 2009, Budget Director Liz Bloeser said.

Staffs that grew the most, in percentage terms, include fire-rescue, libraries and the supervisor of elections and sheriff's offices, whose staffs grew between 55 percent (fire-rescue) and 34 percent (sheriff's office) since 2000.
Deputy Chief Steve Delai said county fire-rescue was forced to expand after service fell below expectations in the 1990s. During the past five years, the county built or rebuilt 13 stations and added a third staff member to most of its fleet of 36 rescue trucks, among other improvements. The department also merged with six municipal fire departments, increasing the overall staff count.
"When the extra tax money came in, that's what we spent it on: extra service in the county, which is what people said they wanted," Delai said.
Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said correcting the top-heaviness of his department has been a priority since he took office in 2005 and that the staff has grown much less on his watch - about 9 percent.

Still, the department has grown by more than a third since 2000, and Bradshaw said he remains understaffed in a few critical areas, such as the detective bureau. He has refused layoffs.

The average deputy will receive a 7.45 percent raise this year under the three-year contract that ends in 2009, Bradshaw said. With more than 80 percent of his budget devoted to personnel costs, Bradshaw said the next round of union negotiations will present an opportunity to trim expenses - for example, by cutting the cost-of-living increase included in raises from 5 percent to no more than 3 percent.
"I want to be able to treat the employees fairly but keep (costs) as low as I possibly can," Bradshaw said.Defenders of the county's fiscal habits say much of the new staff is dedicated to the new libraries, parks, law enforcement and fire service that taxpayers demanded. For example, voters approved two separate bond issues to expand the county's library system, County Administrator Bob Weisman said.

"We are very efficient for what we try to do," Weisman said. "This is a very lean organization."

But critics say most voters paid little attention to the spending.

Shielded by the Save Our Homes 3 percent limit on annual increases in taxable home value, taxpayers with homestead exemptions found satisfaction in the commission's strategy of lowering or holding flat the property tax rate. The county scooped in hundreds of millions more in property tax revenues every year as the flat or lowered rate was applied to an expanding kingdom of taxable real estate.

The minority of non-homesteaded property owners, including businesses and seasonal residents, were less fortunate. Their taxable values soared, along with their tax bills.

"The philosophy of the commission was what I call TIA: Take It All," county Republican Party Chairman Sid Dinerstein said. "Whatever amount the property values went up was exactly the amount they raised the budget."

Seeing little change in their tax bills, most homesteaded residents were blissfully unaware that statewide property tax collections surged 68 percent during the past four years, said Kurt Wenner, a research director for Florida TaxWatch.

"It took the voter out of the spending process," Wenner said. "People quit going to the meetings. People quit questioning what was going on because their taxes weren't going up. The only people who complained were the snowbirds and the businesses."

Not so this year.

Brief consideration of increasing the tax rate for the first time in a decade provoked public outcry, as e-mails, letters and phone calls rained down on commissioners' offices demanding the rate stay flat. Weisman and others noted that the rate increase simply would have let the county counteract the decline in property values, as state law allows.

But commissioners agreed to reject the rate hike. Now they are considering which programs to cut.

Dinerstein has called for much stronger action: a 10 percent pay cut for all county commissioners and constitutional officers, a moratorium on new capital projects that are not required for public safety and an across-the-board wage freeze.

He also called on commissioners to limit future budget increases to the sum of the rates of inflation and population growth, so as to avoid crunches like this year's.

"It's like a family budget," Dinerstein said. "If the family gets a big bonus, well, if you spend it all that year, all of sudden you're in house you can't afford. Which is where we are right now. We're in a county we can't afford."

07-06-2008, 02:12 PM
THIS IS PART OF SUN SENTINEL SUN MORNING

When the county's laying off people, it's tough to go in and start asking for raises," said Armand Nault, union vice president.

Mike Mayo, the union's bargaining table representative, said firefighter raises are ranging from 1 percent to 3 percent in cities like Palm Beach Gardens and Tequesta. He said the era of 5 percent, across-the-board raises are over.
County firefighters have a starting salary of about $45,000, but the raises add up quickly. A firefighter hired in 2004, for example, now makes about $67,000, not including overtime, according to payroll records. In addition, 307 fire-rescue workers make more than $100,000 in base salary, according to an analysis of the pay records.
"It's a risky job, so they're paid fair for the environment," Mayo said. "Food is through the roof, gas is through the roof. We've still got to survive."

07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Great information, thanks again. So PBSO and PBCFR is being taken care of, whereas school cops are not. In addition it seems the "head honcho" of each bureaucracy, has expressed their ideas and opinions. Our head honcho has done what for his troops? NOTHING, as always! So dont blame the reps, or the PBA. They are the only ones trying to make this department better.
-So the grass is greener-

07-06-2008, 06:52 PM
So go apply for the Sheriff's Office jackass and stop *****ing about this department.

07-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I love that reply, someone blows off some steam, and mr. nice guy shows up. Why the name calling? Why take it so personal? Its sad to read a reply that is full of such hate and anger.

07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Well lets see......we are down about 20 positions, and the Chief is not going to replace them right now, because he has shave a million from the police budget??? WTF????? FAU PD was the only department not affected because of the importance the police are on a college campus! Not here!

But we gotta fill that Sgt. spot, and 2 Commander slots that pay more! So now the average Officers daily duties double and we get zero compensation for it, not even a marked unit to help them out. Dont forget our gang unit, and a full time officer in VCT, is he a school cop or what? Great guy, but come on, SCHOOL POLICE. And the list goes on, and on. These are facts.

Dont forgot ole DS, Commander, transport, HR, whatever you want buddy, its fine by me, here is your department phone, and car. Great to have you back!

retsro
07-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Well lets see......we are down about 20 positions,
But we gotta fill that Sgt. spot, and 2 Commander slots that pay more!

Unless AJ lets him replace the positions in the schools, the three new bosses will result in three less officers at school sites.[/b]

retsro
07-06-2008, 08:44 PM
There will be a 4th when another sgt retires next month

07-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Well lets see......we are down about 20 positions,
But we gotta fill that Sgt. spot, and 2 Commander slots that pay more!

Unless AJ lets him replace the positions in the schools, the three new bosses will result in three less officers at school sites.[/b]

Exactly, this makes no sense, I like all the Officers, and Sargents, and Majors, AND COMMANDERS. But dont you think we are a lil too top heavy? There is NO NEED for all these Sgt.'s. Coverage in the school to protect the students and staff should be top priority, and our level of service is going to suffer (already is). The Sgt. has an important job, but we can do without the amount we have. I mean the ones I worked for are good for turning in OT and paperwork, thats about it.

07-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Hey Cleanhouse what you got against the G boyz? They aint done nothing to you.

07-07-2008, 02:41 AM
"Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of their sins. For day after day they seek me out; they seem eager to know my ways, as if they were a agency that does what is right and has not forsaken the commands of its Members. They ask me for just decisions and seem eager for you to come near them. My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain. Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold,
Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.
They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us, they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. By all this we are encouraged. In addition to our own encouragement, everyone’s spirit has been refreshed by all of you.

07-07-2008, 06:39 AM
I LOVE THE G BOYZ! I didn't mean it like that, but when it comes to cuts the specialized units go first. I think they do a great job and there should be more of them. With that said, getting coverage in the schools should be our top priority, considering we are school police. With that said, there is no money to run this PD!

07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Great information, thanks again. So PBSO and PBCFR is being taken care of, whereas school cops are not. In addition it seems the "head honcho" of each bureaucracy, has expressed their ideas and opinions. Our head honcho has done what for his troops? NOTHING, as always! So dont blame the reps, or the PBA. They are the only ones trying to make this department better.
Why don't you start by taking care of yourself. The Chiefs Job is to manage this agency, quit waiting for handouts, do something yourself to change your life or job if you are so unhappy. And if you keep waiting for your PBA reps to pull you out, don't complain about the condition your in.

07-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Why don't you start by taking care of yourself. The Chiefs Job is to manage this agency, quit waiting for handouts, do something yourself to change your life or job if you are so unhappy. And if you keep waiting for your PBA reps to pull you out, don't complain about the condition your in.

HUH?