PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Charlie Christ Getting Married

07-04-2008, 05:10 PM
ST. PETERSBURG — Florida's most powerful bachelor is getting hitched.

Gov. Charlie Crist, single for nearly three decades, on Thursday morning became engaged to his girlfriend of nine months, Carole Rome.

"She's special in every way. She's brilliant, beautiful and sweet. I'm very, very lucky," Crist told the St. Petersburg Times in an exclusive interview.

Crist said he picked out the sapphire and diamond ring on Wednesday at the Gold and Diamond Center in St. Petersburg's Northeast Shopping Center.

No date has been set for the wedding, but Crist, 51, said it would be in St. Petersburg, where he is a member of First United Methodist Church. There probably also will be a reception in Tallahassee.

Speculation has been rampant for months about Crist and Rome's future, as the two have been steady companions. Two weeks ago Crist tamped down a rumor that the engagement already had happened, saying "Not yet. … Stay tuned."

"We've talked about it quite awhile," said Crist, who proposed to Rome, 38, on Thursday morning in his Bayfront Tower condominium in St. Petersburg.

"God bless her, she said yes," he said. "What better place to do it than the 'Burg," said Crist, who said his parents were "ecstatic."

Rome is a 1991 honors graduate of Georgetown University who became president of her family's 100-year-old Halloween costume business in 2000 when her father died. She has two daughters, ages 11 and 9, with former husband Todd Rome of New York, CEO of Blue Star Jets. She moved to Fisher Island in Miami in 2006.

The Romes' divorce was finalized this year, and Todd Rome has been quoted in New York gossip columns speaking fondly of his ex-wife and wishing her the best with Crist.

Crist's famously frugal lifestyle could be coming to an end. While he has never bought a home and earns $140,000 a year as governor, his net worth of about $450,000 was by far the smallest of any other statewide officeholder.

Meanwhile, Todd Rome estimated in court records that his ex-wife's income has been as high as $1.48-million a year, and the Romes' numerous properties included a 10,000-square-foot vacation home in Southampton, N.Y.

Crist would be the first Florida governor to get married in office since Claude Kirk in 1967. Crist was married once before, for less than a year, but divorced in 1980.

And his engagement is likely to reverberate well beyond Florida because the popular governor is widely viewed as a contender to be likely Republican presidential candidate John McCain's running mate. Not since Franklin Pierce picked William King to be his running mate in 1852 has America had a bachelor vice president.

Rome will join Crist on a 12-day trip through London; Paris; Normandy, France; and St. Petersburg, Russia, that leaves July 11. The trip is described as a "business development mission for Florida's aviation, defense and climate change sectors."

Crist, though, was focused Thursday on his bride-to-be.

"I'm very, very happy," the governor said. "I love her."

Adam C. Smith can be reached at asmith@sptimes.com or (727)893-8241.

07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I saw this before, I'm so gald someone poste d the articf :snicker: e!

07-04-2008, 06:10 PM
People have strong feelings on our Gov's decision:

Comments on this article

by Carol Jul 4, 2008 12:00 PM
Like Elton John and Michael Jackson...

by D Michael Jul 4, 2008 11:59 AM
Whoopdeedo

by Ed Jul 4, 2008 11:58 AM
Perhaps the wife to be is naive and is blind to the fact that Charlie Crist is nothing more than an opportunistic user. Poor little rich girl needs to open her eyes and see the Pasco County Phonies he mingles with.

by Big Dave Jul 4, 2008 11:57 AM
Charlie would be a great pick for VP, a true outsider that can bring a fresh breeze to the smoke filled, currupt, beltway. Running our difficult, varied, state, gives him more important experience to be a VP pick than Hillary.

by tom Jul 4, 2008 11:56 AM
This is the man that sold out Florida residents on drilling to become VP. It's no surprise he would orchestrate something as bizarre as being engaged.

by EX Florida Vacationer Jul 4, 2008 11:56 AM
When it comes to say "I do," Charlie can only say "I don't." Because Charlie just DON"T do anything right ! Resign along with your other crony colleagues from Pasco County.

by Geoff Jul 4, 2008 11:56 AM
Interesting to note the religious spin on the story, she Jewish, he Methodist. I suppose the writer is trying to tell readers who care about such things a message. Suppose those same people are also interested in knowing Obama is black.

by patriot Jul 4, 2008 11:55 AM
Shades o Larry Craig!!!! What/why would he be chosen by McSame? no real experience ...wouldnt it be nice if he would sit his fanny down in Tallahassee and do the job he was elected to do so ? wow anything to hide in the closet .... whew !!!

by Jon Jul 4, 2008 11:54 AM
The timing appears designed to allay the rumors that Crist is gay and increase his chances of being picked as McCain's VP.

by Neil Jul 4, 2008 11:52 AM
Now we'll see what he looks like with a beard.

by mike Jul 4, 2008 11:52 AM
Charlie, quit playing around and get back to Tallahassee and fix the stupid property tax issue like you promised in your campaign, not that token reduction you instantly achieved, taxes are killing florida.

by Patricia Jul 4, 2008 11:50 AM
Engagement timing coincidence aside, what about this European vacation we Florida taxpayers are funding? "Business development mission," yeah right....

by Debbie Jul 4, 2008 11:49 AM
If the future Mrs. Crist wants to make a mark, perhaps she can use some of her millions and pay for Charlie's precious Everglades not so sugary land deal. Or Florida Lawyers can go in and GRAB or ASSUME the Glades on Charlies behalf. Phonies.

by Jay Jul 4, 2008 11:49 AM
He does not have enough money to keep this one happy.

by David Jul 4, 2008 11:49 AM
Wow, how convenient. If this move manages to get Crist the VP slot, my guess is that if McCain loses in Nov. the wedding will somehow never take place. He must want that VP slot really badly. Just how stupid does Charlie think we are?

by Josh Jul 4, 2008 11:48 AM
Word choice?- What straight guy would use the first words describing his new finacee with the word "brilliant"-It's like a female pea**** saying she is attracted to a male pea**** for his "swift pecking ability". But then, maybe, I am not 51?

by JM Jul 4, 2008 11:47 AM
Let's see if Charlie screws this marriage up as much as he screwed Florida up.I bet she will have good insurance and tax breaks.

by Walt Jul 4, 2008 11:47 AM
JAP beard. What's in it for her? Only thing I can think of is a long-shot at First Lady. Good luck with that scenario.

by James Jul 4, 2008 11:47 AM
Are all you people really that jaded? Enough of the negative attitudes! I wish them happiness and longevity in their pursuits.

by dom Jul 4, 2008 11:46 AM
donja you guys worry, he will not be v.p, in fact the v.p. is already picked guys.. my main man MITT ROMNEY will be the v.p. you libs and leftist can have your inexperienced B.H.O. I NEED SOMEONE IN THERE WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT OUR COUNTRY

by Carolina Jul 4, 2008 11:46 AM
Charlie, Really ? Your State and especially your connections to Pasco Countie's Phonies has been more than enough comedy already. Your administration is now the laughing stock of some retired law enf in the Carolinas & Michigan.

by Sam Jul 4, 2008 11:46 AM
Congrats Governor Crist! I hope these rude people don't rain on your special moment!! Best wishes and God Bless!!!

by mike Jul 4, 2008 11:45 AM
The state is in trouble, people are losing there homes, gas and food going up-up-up and this guy are gov. is going on a vacation with his girlfriend on the tax payers dime. Unbeliveable what gaul!!!

by C. A. Foney Jul 4, 2008 11:45 AM
He's like a three-dollar bill, and he thinks we don't realize he's getting "married" to enhance his VP chances. If McCain picks Chuckles then I'm voting for Obama for sure, and I'm a Reagan Republican.

by Frank Jul 4, 2008 11:45 AM
It's nice to know the St. Pete Times is more concerned about Crist's engagement than they are about people losing their homes to foreclosure!

by Jerry Jul 4, 2008 11:45 AM
I for one am happy for the governor. He isn't perfect but I do believe he is trying to do his best. Some of these comments about our governor aren't very nice--aren't you ashamed?

by elaine Jul 4, 2008 11:45 AM
best wishes to the gov and the future first lady of florida

by Dan Jul 4, 2008 11:41 AM
What happens in New Jersey stays in New Jersey (and Florida)

by Laura Jul 4, 2008 11:39 AM
Crist is such a fraud! Have you ever noticed how he is always primping himself? Now just another opportunity! He is always about what is politically expedient. Has a woman on his arm during campaigns and then drops them.

by Jen Jul 4, 2008 11:36 AM
I guess this means he is getting the nod for VP?

by David Jul 4, 2008 11:36 AM
Just like the convenience weddins between royalty oh so long ago.

by PH MOM Jul 4, 2008 11:29 AM
He looks old enough to be her father! What does she want with him?

by Scott Jul 4, 2008 11:29 AM
This seems like an attempt to win McCain's (and Republicans') favor in order to get the VP spot. But I think it will backfire when former lovers/hook-ups will go public in light of this development.

by Reality Jul 4, 2008 11:28 AM
Charlie, you are going to have to flip flop on this decision too, once McCain doesnt choose you. You know this is not what you want to do. Be Free, it is acceptable, you can do what you always wanted to and come out and be a democrat!

by Jason Jul 4, 2008 11:28 AM
Who are they kidding? Rush Limbaugh is Florida's most powerful bachelor.

07-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Charlie Crist Getting Hitched
By David Knowles
Jul 4th 2008 9:09AM
Filed Under:eRepublicans, John McCain, Featured Stories, Veepstakes
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Greetings from Florida, where our governor, Charlie Crist, has just announced his plans to wed his girlfriend of nine months. Crist, who is 51 years old, has been single for the past 30 years. His first marriage ended after less than a year, giving way to a three-decade-long stint as a bachelor. His fiancé, Carole Rome, 38, is the president of (no kidding) a Halloween costume business.

Why does any of this deserve your consideration? Well, timing, for one thing. It's no secret that Crist is on McCain's short-list for Vice President, and, oddly, marital status seems to be something of a sticking point in the race to be number 2. In fact, America has not had an unmarried Vice President since 1852, when Franklin Pierce gave the nod to William King.

No date has yet been set for the wedding, and while the sound of church bells setting the mood for the Republican Convention in St. Paul may simply be a coincidence, some wonder if this marriage itself is not, in some ways, its own kind of costume.

Andrew Sullivan:

After nine months' dating, he gets married to a woman. I wonder if that was a condition of the vice-presidency. His parents, by the way, are "ecstatic." I'd say the odds of his becoming the veep--and McCain's heir apparent--just increased exponentially.

Ken Layne:

Orange-skinned Florida "bachelor 4 life" Charlie Crist is the latest in Florida's long line of moderate Republican politicians who live swinging, middle-aged male lives without women. But he apparently really wants to lose with John McCain this fall, so he has announced the impending tinkle of little wedding bells!

The Economist:

Charlie Crist, the Republican governor of Florida and possible vice-presidential candidate, has been a bachelor for nearly 30 years, sparking rumors that he might be gay. But it seems that the talk of the Green Iguana is wrong.

Like all Vice Presidential prognostication, speculating on whether or not political considerations played a roll in Crist's decision to pop the question amounts to little more than a parlor game. Would Crist's bachelor status have hurt the hypothetical ticket so much as to cost them the election that is still five months away? Inquiring minds, start your engines!

As the Economist points out, two things are certain about Florida and Crist. First, Barack Obama is closing the Sunshine State gap with John McCain. Second, religious conservatives don't care much for Charlie. Both campaigns are fighting tooth-and-nail now for moderate voters, and on that score, at least, Charlie Crist doesn't need a disguise.

Rotten Herman
07-09-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm so happy for Charlie. His parents must be relieved.

07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Don't be jealous but I'm invited to the wedding.

07-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm so happy for Charlie. His parents must be relieved.

Charlie Christ tricked the Florida voters with lies and empty promises. Now, sweet Charlie is pretending to want to get married to further his career. My main concern is his pending European Vacation with little rich girl "Carole" that is to be PAID FOR WITH TAX PAYERS MONEY. What an insult to all of us in Florida. Wake up Florida.

07-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Well, we're finally getting there;
Numbe One in the country for job losses, population decreases, rate of inflation, and amount of mortgage and real estate fraud.
Funny how clearly these state economists can see in hindsight years later, but are and have been absolutely blind to what's ahead in the future.
Florida politicians' have largely remained in the dark, sand covered state of ostriches believing "100,000 people a day are moving here" and other old myths, we have not seen any legislation enacted that might have prevented or limited the severe recession we are now living through in Florida. The insurance aand property tax revisions that optimistically came with the election of Crist have proven to be a band aid on skin cancer, despite smiling Charlie's claims. I still remember with a chuckle how he told the real estate agents' they'd better "get ready for their phones to begin ringing off the hook" when property tax and exemption portability pseudo-reforms were enacted.
I have warned since late 2004 that this would happen. Now it's here.....and will only get worse in the next two years.
Unless we see some real leadership with real problem solving legislation from our state politicians, (instead of the power ladder posturing and worthless legislation we as citizens have been willing to settle for) nothing will happen to reverse the current downward spiral.
Of course, I'm sure I'll hear a regurgitation of my predictions from these same state economists in 2009.

07-19-2008, 01:05 PM
South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Governor Charlie Crist to face problems in Florida after return from Europe
Governor ineffective easing economic woes, critics say
By AARON DESLATTE

Tallahassee Bureau

July 19, 2008

TALLAHASSEE

Gov. Charlie Crist returns from his European trade mission next week in time to celebrate his 52nd birthday at Palm Beach's historic Breakers hotel, where donors can pay $5,200 to get their names engraved on his birthday candles.

But the governor is coming home to an electorate clearly in no mood to party.

While Crist was touring a nuclear plant in France and meeting with aerospace firms and Prince Charles in London, Florida's job loss numbers were moving to the front of the pack nationally.

Home foreclosures ranked second in the country last month. Population growth has slowed, from 500,000 a year two years ago to a projected 117,000 this year.

And while Crist's office is preaching optimism and patience, there's no sign that his prediction to voters last January that the Amendment 1 property-tax cuts would produce a "sonic boom" for the economy is coming true.

As a result, the governor is facing the sternest test of his 19-month-old administration — and, critics say, he's been uncharacteristically stumbling.

He has taken heat for his quest to be Republican Sen. John McCain's vice presidential pick, for reversing his position on offshore oil drilling to match McCain's and for taking his fiancée on the $254,000 European trade mission.

"He doesn't seem to have any answers for the economic doldrums we're in, and he's too busy campaigning for the vice presidency of the United States," said University of Florida history professor David Colburn, who has written extensively on state government.

Florida led the nation with a loss of 78,100 jobs over the last 12 months, figures released Friday show, with unemployment at 5.5 percent in June.

That's roughly 508,000 unemployed people and was down slightly from a 5.6 percent rate in May, the highest in Florida since October 2002.

Crist's supporters say the governor is doing everything he can, by pushing through property tax cuts, freezing insurance rates for a year and chasing foreign investment.

"Everybody's paying a price for the bad economy, and certainly the governor's paying a price, too," said Brian Ballard, a Tallahassee lobbyist and adviser to Crist.

The employment numbers released Friday by the Agency for Workforce Innovation came while Crist toured a nuclear plant in France. So far, his trip — with remaining stops in Russia and Spain — has produced agreements with Florida universities to work on greenhouse gas emissions, but nothing that is easily translatable into jobs.

"We can't rely on the national economy to pick us up," said Barney Bishop, president of Associated Industries of Florida. "We're going to have to rely on ourselves."

Others complain Crist and the Republican-led Legislature have steadfastly refused to look at raising taxes or broadening the state's tax base to ameliorate Florida's boom-or-bust revenue picture.

"I don't know if there's a political will to make some of the changes right now that we need to make," said University of Central Florida economist Sean Snaith.

State economists say that Florida is in the middle of a historic "correction" that will last through January 2010.

Housing construction has plummeted 71 percent since its hurricane rebuilding peak in 2005 and is not expected to rise this year. Worse, economists predict another 72,700 jobs will disappear this year.

The numbers are so dire Crist may have to further cut state spending this fall, even though lawmakers already slashed $6 billion from the budget that took effect this month.

And for the moment, at least, his administration doesn't have much of a response.

"Frankly, a lot of this is based on consumer confidence," said Lt. Gov. Jeff Kottkamp. "And so the more we can get the message out that Florida's more affordable now than ever … that will have an impact on how long this will last and how deep it goes."

As he did after his economic mission to Brazil last year, Crist is expected to return from his 10-day European trek with a few deals in tow.

But the economic cards may be stacking up against him.

This week, State Farm announced it can't keep insuring homes in Florida without raising rates 47.1 percent.

Crist responded with a letter to Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty on Friday. He said he was concerned the request could "create a breaking point for the budgets of some of our fellow Floridians."

Aaron Deslatte can be reached at adeslatte@orlandosentinel.com or 850-222-5564.

Copyright © 2008, South Florida Sun-Sentinel