PDA

View Full Version : patrol area's

07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
I keep seeing you guys involved in incidents in locations which are a considerable distance from campus, are you guys patrolling a wider area now? I even saw a USFPD vehicle driving around my neighborhood in temple terrace.
Just interested to know.

07-03-2008, 01:27 PM
yes

07-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I keep seeing you guys involved in incidents in locations which are a considerable distance from campus, are you guys patrolling a wider area now? I even saw a USFPD vehicle driving around my neighborhood in temple terrace.
Just interested to know.

Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot I worked for a University.

07-03-2008, 08:59 PM
State Officer!!!!

07-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Actually you are classified as a University Employee. Fortunately you still fall under the state retirement system, so you still get the high risk retirement. But you are not a "state officer".

07-04-2008, 01:54 AM
"State Officer" as a University Police Officer is one of the biggest Urban myths still going. USF has an extended patrol area, and I have heard that they are going to take over the Temple Terrace areas south of Fowler, they do not have state wide jurisdiction.

07-04-2008, 02:46 AM
My question is; Law Enforcement take over jurisdictions is usually for tax revenue money. Is USF getting the tax money from all these areas they are supposedly expanding to? What's the deal here?

07-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Maybe this will help clear this issue up a bit.

FSS 1012.97 University police.--

(1) Each university is empowered and directed to provide for police officers for the university, and such police officers shall hereafter be known and designated as the "university police."

(2) The university police are hereby declared to be law enforcement officers of the state and conservators of the peace with the right to arrest, in accordance with the laws of this state, any person for violation of state law or applicable county or city ordinances when such violations occur on any property or facilities that are under the guidance, supervision, regulation, or control of the state university or a direct-support organization of such university, except that arrest may be made off campus when hot pursuit originates on any such property or facilities. Such officers shall have full authority to bear arms in the performance of their duties and to execute search warrants within their territorial jurisdiction. University police, when requested by the sheriff or local police authority, may serve subpoenas or other legal process and may make arrest of any person against whom a warrant has been issued or any charge has been made of violation of federal or state laws or county or city ordinances.

USFPD has Mutual Aid with HCSO, TPD, and TTPD. Latent investigations can take us anywhere we might need to go.

It's the Direct Support Organinzation thing that really gets confusing sometimes.

There is also this:
316.640 Enforcement
b. University police officers shall have authority to enforce all of the traffic laws of this state when such violations occur on or about any property or facilities that are under the guidance, supervision, regulation, or control of a state university, a direct-support organization of such state university, or any other organization controlled by the state university or a direct-support organization of the state university, except that traffic laws may be enforced off-campus when hot pursuit originates on or adjacent to any such property or facilities.

07-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Why is South Florida getting aggressive with the jurisdiction? Why not stay to your campus? I don't understand this in anyway?

07-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I care less who patrols what.. in FL cops are being cut back, violent crime is increasing and you worry about BS jurisdiction ... They protect everyone... it's the politicans who hold back State Certified LEO's..Especially if they are nationally accrediated...

07-04-2008, 10:31 PM
One day it's state employee, the next day it's university employee. It all depends if they are giving raises out.

07-04-2008, 11:26 PM
One day it's state employee, the next day it's university employee. It all depends if they are giving raises out.

Here at the PD it just depends who you work for. On one shift you're a Univesity Cop, on the next shift they ride you for spending too much time on campus. It's all pretty confusing for the new guys.

07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
The cops there are just pawns for their bosses career ambitions.

07-04-2008, 11:49 PM
The university police are hereby declared to be law enforcement officers of the state

That part of the statute is out dated and is null and void. When the Board of Regents as we used to know it controlled all 10 universities, each University Police Officer was designated as a "state employee". However, now that each university has their own Board of Regents, many things changed. One of those was the designation of "State Polic Officer" to "University Police Officer". You are classified as a staff member, with a high risk retirement system. The reason you can enforce outside of your jurisdiction is because of the statute that allows for "on and about", and because of your mutual aid policy with the city, county, and Temple Terrace.

07-05-2008, 09:22 PM

This is so true. I signed on to be a University cop, not a wanna be Deputy at a lot less pay. There are definitely some career ambitions through stats getting furthered here. And I think this has a lot to do with Benson being brought in. A lot of wasted money has been spent on this from the PD, as well as from the University Admin. trying to do what they want done. It's just poor Administration all the way around, and the patrol officers are the ones that get the raw end of the deal either way.

07-06-2008, 12:44 AM
After reading these forums, I think you reversed your quote with your statement.

07-06-2008, 06:28 AM
This is so true. I signed on to be a University cop, not a wanna be Deputy at a lot less pay. There are definitely some career ambitions through stats getting furthered here. And I think this has a lot to do with Benson being brought in. A lot of wasted money has been spent on this from the PD, as well as from the University Admin. trying to do what they want done. It's just poor Administration all the way around, and the patrol officers are the ones that get the raw end of the deal either way.[/quote][/quote]

I agree, either let me be a University Cop, or let me out of this ungodly contract so I can go somewhere else. Driving around in circles outside campus to create stats for the boss is a perversion of the mutual aid agreements that have been created with outside agencies. The students on our campus deserve better.

07-06-2008, 11:04 PM
geez....i wonder which of the new guys wrote the above message.....I can think of one or two "new" guys that just want to sit on campus and twiddle there thumbs while they talk about the "good ol days" and all they used to do.

07-07-2008, 01:25 PM
So true!? Well, you gotta admit writin' tickets is better than pickin' strawberrys!!!

07-08-2008, 01:03 AM
So whats the priority over in USF, Traffic stats off Campus or the protection of students, faculty, and staff and the prevention of crime???

07-08-2008, 02:51 AM
I enjoy reading these forums, but I must say that I learned the traffic fines in that county have went up again..., suprisingly happening during this time of year, as predicted, just like every year. It's not even about driving safety anymore, it's all about making money, especially around the holidays. Sure they off set it this year by a week, to disquise it from getting official citizen complaints, but I tell you I am going to send Gov. Crist a letter on this. Can't wait until my kid, or anymone working on a minimum wage gets another ticket on this campus, and what it will do to the insurance, especially for the next guy that has a kid going to school there. They are just raising everything above the affordable cost of living! I guess the tax money has got to be made up somwhere, but it's really sad. As much as I pay for my kid to go to school here, it's BS. The students you give tickets to, don't pay them, its us parnets that do. You all have or will have kids driving to college one day.

07-08-2008, 04:22 AM
If the person drivng your car hadn't made a traffic violation, they wouldn't have gotten a ticket! Student or not!

07-08-2008, 06:55 AM
I enjoy reading these forums, but I must say that I learned the traffic fines in that county have went up again..., suprisingly happening during this time of year, as predicted, just like every year. It's not even about driving safety anymore, it's all about making money, especially around the holidays. Sure they off set it this year by a week, to disquise it from getting official citizen complaints, but I tell you I am going to send Gov. Crist a letter on this. Can't wait until my kid, or anymone working on a minimum wage gets another ticket on this campus, and what it will do to the insurance, especially for the next guy that has a kid going to school there. They are just raising everything above the affordable cost of living! I guess the tax money has got to be made up somwhere, but it's really sad. As much as I pay for my kid to go to school here, it's BS. The students you give tickets to, don't pay them, its us parnets that do. You all have or will have kids driving to college one day.

Maybe you should sit your kid down and teach them to be a responsible "adult". If they can't obey basic traffic laws maybe you as a parent, should take the privilege of having a vehicle away from them for a while. Riding a bus or biking may humble them a bit

07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
So whats the priority over in USF, Traffic stats off Campus or the protection of students, faculty, and staff and the prevention of crime???

Well, either you have not been a cop very long or you have got to be very lazy! Everybody in police work knows the best way to prevent crime is to be nosy and stop people. Crooks dont like to be stopped and will avoid areas like little towns with speed traps. Anyway a good traffic stop will often lead to a warrant or something like that. So get off your duff.

07-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Well, either you have not been a cop very long or you have got to be very lazy! Everybody in police work knows the best way to prevent crime is to be nosy and stop people. Crooks dont like to be stopped and will avoid areas like little towns with speed traps. Anyway a good traffic stop will often lead to a warrant or something like that. So get off your duff.

Theres no problem with with anything you said. This issue is you guys have your own jusistiction. Doing traffic on Fletcher is not keeping USF safe. Be nosey and stop people where it counts, in your own backyard.

07-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Quit fooling yourself into thinking that your doing something exceptional out there. Your a little fish, in a little pond, nothing else.[/quote]

07-09-2008, 08:41 PM

That about says it all. thank you for noticing

07-10-2008, 04:19 AM
THOSE "OFFICERS" WHO WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT DOING PROACTIVE POLICE WORK ARE AN EMBARRASMENT TO THE PROFESSION. IT IS PRETTY PATHETIC WHEN SENIOR OFFICERS AND SOME SUPERVISORS HAVE MORE ARRESTS AND PROACTIVE POLICE WORK THEN SOME OF THE NEWER OFFICERS. YOU ALL KNOW WHICH ONES WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

ALSO FOR ALL YOU CITIZENS AND USFPD OFFICERS THAT CRY ABOUT DOING TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT ON FLETCHER, FOWLER, BB DOWNS, AND 50TH, AND YOU SAY THERE IS NO REASONF OR IT LET ME TELL YOU THAT I HAVE PERSONALLY BEEN ON NUMEROUS SCENES ON THOSE STREETS WHEN USF STUDENTS HAVE BEEN STRUCK BY SPEEDING VEHICLES OR DRUNK DRIVERS. SO DONT TELL ME WE HAVE NO BUSINESS ENFORCING TRAFFIC.

07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
quote=THOSE "OFFICERS" WHO WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT DOING PROACTIVE POLICE WORK ARE AN EMBARRASMENT TO THE PROFESSION.

I guess that would have to depend on your point of view. It's pretty embarassing when the proactive police work involves arresting someone for a marijuana seed found on the floor board after you conduct a "French Connection" search of their car from bumper to bumper, or because their license has a few unpaid ticksets on it. But I guess if your a little fish in a little pond, this type of activity is "real police" work to some. I do agree with you on traffic enforcement on the bordering roads. Speed and red light enforcement on these roads is needed.

07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
YOUR RIGHT INSTEAD OF ARRESTING SOMEONE FOR A CRIME I GUESS YOU CAN JUST DRIVE IN CIRCLES OR PULL TAG LIGHTS OVER. YOU GIVE ME A BREAK....THOSE LITTLE "SEEDS" AND MINOR TRAFFIC INFRACTION ARRESTS HAVE LEAD TO ALOT MORE FOR ME, BUT YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THAT UNLESS YOU DID SOMETHING.

07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Captial letters= shout in type, and is not acceptable on any forum.

Get them Marijuana seeds. One day you idiots will find out that that all that dope you smoked back in your teenage years, causes a lot less damage on society and a University campus than all that alcohol you drank. Find them seeds! Get em! and lock em up!

07-11-2008, 12:49 AM
YOUR RIGHT INSTEAD OF ARRESTING SOMEONE FOR A CRIME I GUESS YOU CAN JUST DRIVE IN CIRCLES OR PULL TAG LIGHTS OVER. YOU GIVE ME A BREAK....THOSE LITTLE "SEEDS" AND MINOR TRAFFIC INFRACTION ARRESTS HAVE LEAD TO ALOT MORE FOR ME, BUT YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THAT UNLESS YOU DID SOMETHING.

Alot more? Like what? Are the cartels feeling the impact from the few joints you've taken off of the streets? Are the 10 most wanted trembling because you put a few people in jail for minor traffic warrants? You want to impress.....let us know when you uncover kilo's, or pounds, or felons with major warrants, not students with warrants for suspended licenses. You need to stop inflating your ego to make yourself feel good.

07-11-2008, 01:07 AM
From a retried cop that was a student and has a son that is a student, it is unfortunate that there is no there is no officer discretion these days. Everything is "zero tollerance" these days. You have a can of beer, you are arrested. You have a joint of marijuana or a seed found somewhere, you are arrested. Your college career is pretty much ruined from your freshman year. Things are so much different these days. It's sad.

07-11-2008, 02:15 AM
The "zero tollerance" is there for a reason, all these dope smokers, and students that are drinking under age need to be held accountable for their actions! They are old enough to take responsibility for their actions! Marijuana is agaisnt the law and so is under the age of 21yrs drinking!

07-11-2008, 04:18 AM
THOSE "OFFICERS" WHO WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT DOING PROACTIVE POLICE WORK ARE AN EMBARRASMENT TO THE PROFESSION. IT IS PRETTY PATHETIC WHEN SENIOR OFFICERS AND SOME SUPERVISORS HAVE MORE ARRESTS AND PROACTIVE POLICE WORK THEN SOME OF THE NEWER OFFICERS. YOU ALL KNOW WHICH ONES WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

ALSO FOR ALL YOU CITIZENS AND USFPD OFFICERS THAT CRY ABOUT DOING TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT ON FLETCHER, FOWLER, BB DOWNS, AND 50TH, AND YOU SAY THERE IS NO REASONF OR IT LET ME TELL YOU THAT I HAVE PERSONALLY BEEN ON NUMEROUS SCENES ON THOSE STREETS WHEN USF STUDENTS HAVE BEEN STRUCK BY SPEEDING VEHICLES OR DRUNK DRIVERS. SO DONT TELL ME WE HAVE NO BUSINESS ENFORCING TRAFFIC.

Sounds like USF may have a supervisor in serious need of mentoring. Haven’t you guys had a murder on campus in the past few years? Proactive Police work also involves being seen and preventing crimes through high visibility…in your own jurisdiction. I did a Google search and found a city PD, SO precinct, and a FHP headquarters all within 2 miles of your campus.

Is the true measure of a University Police Officer the number of arrests or off campus citation stats?...I believe it should be the presence or absence of crime ON CAMPUS. Stop fooling yourself and be proud of what you are. There are a lot of municipal or county agencies that would love to have your zeal. If you can't focus on keeping those on campus safe then consider taking your misguided perception of what your job is to a jurisdiction that welcomes it.

http://beatrooper.com/fhpfaqs.htm

07-11-2008, 04:44 AM

What can you expect, some of the Supervisors mentioned should still be patrolmen and have a patrolman's mentality. Due to a lack of time on the job, they still compete for stats, instead of doing what they should be doing, which is Supervising.

07-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Sounds like USF may have a supervisor in serious need of mentoring. Haven’t you guys had a murder on campus in the past few years? Proactive Police work also involves being seen and preventing crimes through high visibility…in your own jurisdiction. I did a Google search and found a city PD, SO precinct, and a FHP headquarters all within 2 miles of your campus.

Is the true measure of a University Police Officer the number of arrests or off campus citation stats?...I believe it should be the presence or absence of crime ON CAMPUS. Stop fooling yourself and be proud of what you are. There are a lot of municipal or county agencies that would love to have your zeal. If you can't focus on keeping those on campus safe then consider taking your misguided perception of what your job is to a jurisdiction that welcomes it.
[quote]

To my co-workers at USFPD please learn from the above message and focus your attention ON CAMPUS. Get out of your car and get to know the students/staff. You can walk around the halls or ride a mountain bike. Traffic enforcement is great, but there is more to the job than TAG BINGO. Stop stressing out on how many tickets or arrest you have to make. Enforce the law=yes, Use common sense and respect your community.
If your Sgt. doesn't like it.....Just smile and wave.

07-12-2008, 01:25 PM

[quote:21twr7js]

To my co-workers at USFPD please learn from the above message and focus your attention ON CAMPUS. Get out of your car and get to know the students/staff. You can walk around the halls or ride a mountain bike. Traffic enforcement is great, but there is more to the job than TAG BINGO. Stop stressing out on how many tickets or arrest you have to make. Enforce the law=yes, Use common sense and respect your community.
If your Sgt. doesn't like it.....Just smile and wave.[/quote:21twr7js]

I thought the security gurads were doing that that. You say don't worry about the tickets, but the univeristy wants the cash cow from them. Can't have your cake and eat it to.

07-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Parking tickets are only issued by Parking Service people. Absolutely none of that money goes towards the PD even though we have a Sgt. now in charge of them and picked up their dispatching.

More work, no benefit.

UTT fines go to the County/State, NOTHING goes to USF / USFPD.

Oh by the way, AB Security people have a nice cards in their POV's Identifying them as such, no USF parking permit. I wonder if I place my business card in my window can I save the $200+ for a permit???

07-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Why doesn't parking services ticket them? Who cares what card is in the window. Or did this come from higher up?

07-12-2008, 10:18 PM
AB is Ole "Doc" Benson's go to team. If he says they don't have to pay, it will be done.

We're the only Police Department that has to pay for the "privilege" of parking at own station.

Oh by the way, we dispatch AB also

07-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Poor advice from USF PD administrators to a new Cheif, and a new Cheif's good, but unrealistic ambitions at USF, has caused this Benson to be brought in and causing all this mess. Ohh, the extra money that has been spent. Sad.

07-13-2008, 03:21 AM
Parking tickets are only issued by Parking Service people. Absolutely none of that money goes towards the PD even though we have a Sgt. now in charge of them and picked up their dispatching.

More work, no benefit.

He is making good money.

07-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Oh let me get a witness!