PDA

View Full Version : BPD could eliminate top officer positions !!

07-03-2008, 05:43 AM
BRADENTON --Several high-level officers with the Bradenton Police Department are facing the possibility of losing their jobs by next June.

Bradenton police Chief Michael Radzilowski said Wednesday he will recommend council members cut of the department's two positions of major, as well as four lieutenant spots.

The council has asked all city departments to look for areas to make cuts based on a $2.7 million budget shortage.

"This is something that every city agency is having to do," Radzilowski said. "But it will be up to the city council to make the decision. It may happen, it may not. It is just too early."

The department's majors, Jeffrey Lewis and Bill Tokajer, declined to comment on the proposal Wednesday.

They were told of the plan before the rest of the department was notified Wednesday, Radzilowski said.

In the announcement, Radzilowski said the cuts would reduce the force to three captains, six lieutenants, 17 sergeants and 92 officers and detectives.

If the proposal is approved, it will be a year before the positions are eliminated.

"It is not like this is going to happen tomorrow," Radzilowski said.

Radzilowski said the proposal could be decided on as early as the July 16 council meeting.

Also, the police department may see changes to its vehicle take-home policy.

City council members discussed the issue at length Wednesday during an almost three-hour budget meeting.

To help save the city money, the city may no longer allow police offers to take home patrol cars if they live outside city limits.

Radzilowski said he was opposed to the idea because it would hurt response time.

"You're dragging the time out in getting to the scene," Radzilowski said. "Now they have to come (to city hall), get their car, get their equipment. That will have a negative impact on public safety."

However, Councilman Gene Gallo said the city could not afford to continue paying the additional miles on patrol cars for an officer's commute to work.

"It's hard for me to justify that cost," Gallo said.

Council also discussed requiring non-city officers to reimburse the city for the cost of their commute.

Officers would be charged a designated milage rate from their home to city limits.

However, city officials said it would be difficult to keep track those figures.

"It's going to be a nightmare," Gallo said. "You can't keep that record. There's no way you can."

07-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Is A$$holster on the top of the list to cut??

07-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Gallo is the biggest **** sucker i've ever heard speak. Lets see if he can justify the cost when something happens to him or one his family members. What a D!ck!!!

07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
First of all..Let's thank the Chief for fighting for us.

To the Mayor and Council............

Where are the cuts at City Hall?
1. They just hired two people
2. Department heads getting a $500 month vehicle allowance
(but they are talking about taking away our take homes and
these people make $90,000 to $110,000 a month.)
3. I heard SC has her son as contract employee for IT, what's up with
that.

Where are the Fire Department cuts?
1. They are in the process of hiring

But no we can not hire, we even have to take officers off the road to cover dispatch. Which is wrong, but even more maybe the supervisors of dispatch should start working and look at a better schedule.

07-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I am concerned about the budget cuts of the city. Take home cars are used as a deterrent in every neighborhood that a cop lives in. To take these cars away will bring crime back into THOSE areas which were not being hit by burglars, etc.

As far as reducing staff by ridding the department with those that are and have been in the DROP program, it is a great idea. That program was not to be "used" the way it is now. The program was designed to keep experienced people around to TRAIN others and then to step down and leave your position to another person. These past ten years, the program has been used to line one's pockets with extra dough. Yes, I understand that the department was so severely underpaid for nearly 17years that a lot of officers were actually being paid poverty money. That changed and now the department is up to speed with money.

It's tough when cities across the State have to lower their budgets, but maintain. I am not thoroughly convinced that City Council is capable of making this type of decision. They do not understand the full circle of things to come because they do not understand the complexity of law enforcement. Don't take cars away from officers, and expect them to leave 2 hours earlier to get to downtown B'town, get an assigned car (possibly clean it out from the guy before) and get all of their necessary gear) and be ready to take calls on time. DON'T TAKE AWAY AN IMPORTANT PART OF THEIR JOB AND EXPECT THEM TO DO MORE. That is stupid.

Take the perks away from the city people such as their cars. Why does Carl Calahan need a vehicle to drive to work? Why am I paying for his gasoline or the others that I see driving around and eating in their cars? I'm trying not to be cynical, but let's be honest. Perks are perks. I am a citizen, and I don't want the city people driving perk cars when they can drive their own. You are wasting my money. Let's get real. I don't know if City Council drives their own cars or not, but if they don't, they need to be. Also, let's take a look at their cars. They don't need these big Tahoes or SUV's. If we are so concerned, then show us how concerned you are.

Frankly, we don't need disgruntled police officers. If I have a problem, I need someone immediately, I expect someone to be there immediately - the same with fireman.

Is the County having to make cutbacks also?

07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
When Gallo has his house broken into again and has everyone working come out there it will be delayed and lets see if you like it then you sorry piece of ?x?x!!! I will be so happy when you are off the council long time coming!!!I dont and wont give you the time of day!!!!

07-03-2008, 02:12 PM
No take home cars....you better build a new parking garage to park all the vehicles and then my civilian car because we will be taking up half of the metered spots out there!!!You the City will lose all that revenue or will you screw us again and make us pay to park in the city lot??Oh yeah Chief go ahead and park your car to the Council is not giving you a free pass for that long drive to south sarasota!!!

07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
The Chief's car is in his contract.

he could of said OK with this but he went toe to toe with Gallo for us. So why try to make him the bad guy cause he will keep his car?

07-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Well the requirement of him living in the bradenton city limits is also in there and that has never been enforced so is it really worth the paper it is written on? I commend the Chief for going toe to toe but I feel like he will get screwed also by Gallo who is worthless to Bradenton!

07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
If Gallo or the others really cared about the city, where are the rest of the city cuts? How come we haven't heard about any of them. How come we haven't heard about any of the department heads giving up their $500 a month perk. Or the other city department take home vehicles being "parked." Why haven't they "reduced" some of the "fat" admin positions in the other city hall departments. Hey, lets start with IT; or how bout HR; those departments could be reduced and rolled back! How about the Planning department? Or how about Accounting? Surely, if they can't figure out how to figure out "mileage" on a weekly basis from an officers home to work, maybe we need someone that can?? Isn't that what Carl said in the paper today, it would be too difficult to figure out.

07-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Oh please, if it got down to charging officers for gas (who have take home cars that live out of the city/county), how difficult could that be? For goodness sakes, are you people that stupid that you couldn't figure out a competent way of doing this?

This is a crucial time, and for no thought given as to HOW this could be done if need be, I vote to bannish all the city leaders. Remember when the city was found to have not billed/collected for millions of dollars several years ago (after an accountant was hired to look into matters) - is that stupidness that gets us all in trouble. Now the city is in trouble because of less money - frankly, I don't trust them to do the right thing - EVER.

07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh please, if it got down to charging officers for gas (who have take home cars that live out of the city/county), how difficult could that be? For goodness sakes, are you people that stupid that you couldn't figure out a competent way of doing this?

This is a crucial time, and for no thought given as to HOW this could be done if need be, I vote to bannish all the city leaders. Remember when the city was found to have not billed/collected for millions of dollars several years ago (after an accountant was hired to look into matters) - is that stupidness that gets us all in trouble. Now the city is in trouble because of less money - frankly, I don't trust them to do the right thing - EVER.

Frankly, I don't trust them to do the right thing either!! Here's the quote:

However, Councilman Gene Gallo said the city could not afford to continue paying the additional miles on patrol cars for an officer's commute to work.

"It's hard for me to justify that cost," Gallo said.

Council also discussed requiring non-city officers to reimburse the city for the cost of their commute.

Officers would be charged a designated milage rate from their home to city limits.

However, city officials said it would be difficult to keep track those figures.

"It's going to be a nightmare," Gallo said. "You can't keep that record. There's no way you can."

If they can't figure that out, maybe it's time to look at someone that can! Just how smart are these people that are handling all this money???

07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I agree, take home cars should not be taken away but stricter rules should apply:

No personal business is to be done, to and from work only.
No picking up or dropping of kids.

Basically to a from work.

Let us open our eyes, there are people being let go that will not get a paycheck (public works, 2-Lts. positions), and we are upset with take home vehicles. Put yourself in one of the positions that will not get a paycheck.

But I also agree....other departments should do the same.

07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
the 2 lts will be getting a fat retirement check each month, 1 lt will get a promotion and the other 1 lt well he will get demoted to 1 of those sgt positions problem solved.

07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Hey Guest123123,
Everyone that is getting the boot is in the DROP PROGRAM, YA DUMBASS!!! That means they are retired!!!! which means they will get a pay check every month. I dont feel sorry for them, I feel sorry for the rest of us who now have to deal with things like our cars being taken away and probably not getting a raise next year and having to put up with f*cking piece of sh!t Gallo! We arent the highest payed PD around here and perks like the take home car help save us money on $4.30 gallon of gas prices! Get a clue!

07-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Its ok, I look good in green

07-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey Guest123123,
Everyone that is getting the boot is in the DROP PROGRAM, YA DUMBASS!!! That means they are retired!!!! which means they will get a pay check every month. I dont feel sorry for them, I feel sorry for the rest of us who now have to deal with things like our cars being taken away and probably not getting a raise next year and having to put up with f*cking piece of sh!t Gallo! We arent the highest payed PD around here and perks like the take home car help save us money on $4.30 gallon of gas prices! Get a clue!

I wasn't talking about them, public works employees, one Lt position.
If they cut three there are only two in the drop.
I know you dont care about public works or anything, but the city budget includes all employees.

07-03-2008, 09:42 PM
the 2 lts will be getting a fat retirement check each month, 1 lt will get a promotion and the other 1 lt well he will get demoted to 1 of those sgt positions problem solved.

Maybe it will be you worm(L9)

07-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Everyone needs to be very careful when asked to give up your uniform cleaning service to save the take home cars. These cuts will last for years to come so they will still take the cars and we will never have uniforms again. Plus we only have one more year for this contract so I wouldn't be willing to give up anything in that contract. Seems like Gallo and Bemis Smith want to play hardball and so should we.

Bemis its a good thing you didn't get arrested on that DUI that the police let you get away with. We see your thanks A$$ hole.

07-03-2008, 10:33 PM

One Lt spot is vacant so they wouldn't even be demoted. So the two already on the drop, gone. One gets CPT and the other one is no one so who really loses out on that one?

07-03-2008, 11:49 PM
To the SORRY ANONYMOUS poster at 1234........Dont you DARE start whining about losing your take home car!!!! Ive been here ten+ years, live in Manatee County, and still dont have a take home car. I have three questions for you:

1.) How long have you been with the department??
2.) " " " " had your take home car??
3.) ' much money in gas and wear/tear on your POV have you saved
because you had a take home car??

Thats how much money has been taken away from my family, and thats extra money youve had for yours. So dont you DARE start crying that you have to pay for gas, when Ive already been doing it all these years!!

07-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Camacho I agree that you have been done wrong and you have every right to be upset about them refusing to give you a take home. Shame on the department for that, however it still is going to be a big loss for everyone and we will now probably get hit with the financial loss that you have had.
Saying that you have more than likely opened the door for people to slam you and you know they will not put their name on the slams. You have desireved a car for a long time but it still isn't right for them to take away the cars that have been given out for take homes.

07-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Guest, thanx for siding with me....... I really dont wish hardship on anyone in the department, however I have to be honest......I find it extremely hard to feel sympathy for all the guys w/ cars who are facing losing them, when only a VERY SMALL NUMBER of people within this agency fought to try and get me one......Ive said my peace.........

07-04-2008, 01:13 AM
So, when they vote on the car issue next week you guys/gals want to show up in force or what, hey PBA reps where you at? :evil:

07-04-2008, 01:53 AM
I think we should all show up in force to let them know we are there to watch the ones trying to screw us. I understand things definately have to be cut, its happening to agencies all over the state and we are no different than anyone else. However, there is alot of FAT over on the city hall side they need to look at first before public safety. Its all been said on this site and we all know who is getting paid money that shouldn't especially when you start cutting public safety.

Lets all gather together on this and and unite to show them (Gallo and Bemis) they could be losing officer as a result of their financial cuts at BPD when the FAT is getting FATTER on the city hall side.

07-04-2008, 04:57 AM
Camacho, you are GOOD dude as we have worked together over the years! Why in the hell do you not have a take home??? Especially when so many rookies do!!!???? WTF is going on over there??? Hang in there Bro!

07-04-2008, 05:29 AM
So, lets get this right, Gallo and Smith are the ones pushing for big cuts at the PD. Hmmm, ex-Fire chief gallo and should-have-been-arrested Smith. What are the odds these two idiots want to cut the PD budget so drastically. It makes me wonder how much the FD will be asked to cut? I know some of them have take homes vehicles too. Are they going to be asked to leave it at the Station and drive there to respond to a fire? I doubt it, Gallo will take care of his suck-up buddy chief.

When it comes to cutting the budget at city hall, I am very interested to see if that happens. I agree completely with a previous post about the recent hirings in some departments while others are forced to do without, where is the sense in that? That seems like a story the herald should look into, maybe even carl's big suv truck he gets the tax payers to foot the bill for. You know because he is always called out for emergencies. NOT! Carl, why don't you lead by example and give yours up first!

Same ol' song and dance, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Vote for a change, I mean I should have voted for a change!

07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Camacho, If you took personal offense to my post to 123, relax. Its just one more way for the council to screw us and to screw you into never having a take home. Dont make this about you, its about all of us.

07-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Camacho, you have been here for 10+ years and you have NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT! You have done nothing, you are a typical BPD officer as you simply take your calls and nothing more! Who are you tring to kid acting like a hard @ss when you are nothing more then a coward. You are a huge part of the reason this dept is so looked down upon, you are a pure model for what so many BPD rookies aspire to become, A LAZY DAYSHIFT CALL TAKER whos afraid of his own shadow!!!

Now go ahead, this is the part where you say "come see me face to face and we will have a talk", cause thats all you do

07-04-2008, 12:05 PM
To the SORRY ANONYMOUS poster at 1234........Dont you DARE start whining about losing your take home car!!!! Ive been here ten+ years, live in Manatee County, and still dont have a take home car. I have three questions for you:

1.) How long have you been with the department??
2.) " " " " had your take home car??
3.) ' much money in gas and wear/tear on your POV have you saved
because you had a take home car??

Thats how much money has been taken away from my family, and thats extra money youve had for yours. So dont you DARE start crying that you have to pay for gas, when Ive already been doing it all these years!! That is exactly why you don't have a takehome, because you are a loner and an outcast who secretly wishes bad for his fellow officers. Its not our fault you have sat around like a bump on a log, waiting for what you think you are entitled to, just like all those sorry a$$es on welfare. What have YOU done over the last ten years to get a car? MSO has had cars for years and since thats all this is about to you and you got it sooooo bad, why havent you left yet? Oh that might involve leaving the safety and comfort of your shift and zone and your true colors as a LEO coming out.... :roll:

07-04-2008, 12:11 PM
OMG...if you do not like it here go some where else...oh yeah no one hiring.

If you were in another job, they would not pay for your gas or clothing.

I agree you all should make more money, but we all whine about other little things that take away from raises.

I agree Carl give up your car first, and the department headS give up your vehicle allowance.

As for Camacho, he is the smart one, does his job and goes home. All you rookies are crying the most. You do not know when there was no take homes, no dry cleaning, no computers. So stop whining. How many rookies with take homes, wrecked them or wrecked cars before getting a take home? REMEMBER THAT COST TAKES AWAY FROM THE BUDGET ALSO.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FIGHT....WE SHOULD ALL BE AT THE NEXT COUNCIL MEETING JULY 16.

07-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Camacho, I worked with you on dayshift for a while and I know for a fact that these guys on here are wrong. You do not work dayshift to hide, you're out there being proactive in other ways. You might not be getting the dope cars like all the rookies do but you do what is needed. You have been screwed over a lot and I would ***** about it too. And when these guys saying you're hiding have kids and families, they're all going to be fighting for those dayshift spots. Don't worry about them. Keep doing what you're doing.

07-04-2008, 05:50 PM
not to mention your awsome attitude, and I quote "I hope this f*cking place burns down!!" sound familiar camacho?

07-04-2008, 09:01 PM
What time is the city council meeting? Will we be able to voice our concerns without reprecution from admin? I would like to go see what the council says when someone addresses the dept. head's vehicles!

07-04-2008, 10:04 PM
To all my fellow "brothers" who want to come on here and, as usual, hide behind and "anonymous" username to slam me, you obviously werent here when I was on mids......I busted my ass on the eastside chasing the dope dealers through Oakmeade and Woodbury...I chased down Sig 41 suspects and chased down Sig 10's.....Is that what you think I shoud still be doing now?? Perhaps I should a little more than I do, but you know what?? Ive earned my place on days, in the zone Im in, and I definately dont think I need to prove myself to anyone, especially to people within this agency who are too afraid to come to me if they have an issue w/ me.......

07-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Once again a post that might actually do us some good if we stick to the subject matter is getting off track by mud slinging. As Mack said can we show up to this meeting without getting owned by the brass??? Will we be able to voice are opinions? If so we all should show up and put our thoughts out there. Sure the chief can fight for us, but he is only one person. Our voice might get heard if we have 50-60 or more show up... Lets keep this post on track people.

07-05-2008, 02:59 AM
To all my fellow "brothers" who want to come on here and, as usual, hide behind and "anonymous" username to slam me, you obviously werent here when I was on mids......I busted my ass on the eastside chasing the dope dealers through Oakmeade and Woodbury...I chased down Sig 41 suspects and chased down Sig 10's.....Is that what you think I shoud still be doing now?? Perhaps I should a little more than I do, but you know what?? Ive earned my place on days, in the zone Im in, and I definately dont think I need to prove myself to anyone, especially to people within this agency who are too afraid to come to me if they have an issue w/ me....... Why not try and change your attitude toward the public. Your disgruntled crappy attitude shows everytime you come into contact with anyone, including the citizens. Try and prove me wrong and I will get have the female citizen file a complaint against you for being disrespectful toward her like she wanted to do but was talked out of it by me in an attempt to save your butt. Change the attitude or its going to end your career!

07-05-2008, 06:47 AM
So all that hard work you did in the beggining of you're career can justify you being a whiny officer with a bad attitude?? Probably not. Try not to give yourself to big of a pat on the back, oh mighty hard working camacho. [/img]

07-05-2008, 11:29 AM
To all my fellow "brothers" who want to come on here and, as usual, hide behind and "anonymous" username to slam me, you obviously werent here when I was on mids......I busted my ass on the eastside chasing the dope dealers through Oakmeade and Woodbury...I chased down Sig 41 suspects and chased down Sig 10's.....Is that what you think I shoud still be doing now?? Perhaps I should a little more than I do, but you know what?? Ive earned my place on days, in the zone Im in, and I definately dont think I need to prove myself to anyone, especially to people within this agency who are too afraid to come to me if they have an issue w/ me.......ummm, I don't remember that...

07-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Camacho, I worked with you on dayshift for a while and I know for a fact that these guys on here are wrong. You do not work dayshift to hide, you're out there being proactive in other ways. You might not be getting the dope cars like all the rookies do but you do what is needed. You have been screwed over a lot and I would ***** about it too. And when these guys saying you're hiding have kids and families, they're all going to be fighting for those dayshift spots. Don't worry about them. Keep doing what you're doing. ok peter

07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah, Camach is the smart one, thats why he has been at BPD on PATROL for 10 years, working for peanuts, poor benifits, no respect and no take home. Yeah he is the smart one... How many officers have come and gone since you've been here? Did you ever think that might be your hint to get out of here? No you where probably just happy to see your seniority get higher and higher.. because after all its not about what you do here, its just how long you have been employed.. :roll:

07-05-2008, 12:13 PM
whiny officer with a bad attitude That sums him up right there

07-05-2008, 04:32 PM
To all my fellow "brothers" who want to come on here and, as usual, hide behind and "anonymous" username to slam me, you obviously werent here when I was on mids......I busted my ass on the eastside chasing the dope dealers through Oakmeade and Woodbury...I chased down Sig 41 suspects and chased down Sig 10's.....Is that what you think I shoud still be doing now?? Perhaps I should a little more than I do, but you know what?? Ive earned my place on days, in the zone Im in, and I definately dont think I need to prove myself to anyone, especially to people within this agency who are too afraid to come to me if they have an issue w/ me....... Why not try and change your attitude toward the public. Your disgruntled crappy attitude shows everytime you come into contact with anyone, including the citizens. Try and prove me wrong and I will get have the female citizen file a complaint against you for being disrespectful toward her like she wanted to do but was talked out of it by me in an attempt to save your butt. Change the attitude or its going to end your career! Why not start by just treating your fellow officers with some respect first. Maybe then we would have been more concerned with your lack of a take home

07-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Camacho, I worked with you on dayshift for a while and I know for a fact that these guys on here are wrong. You do not work dayshift to hide, you're out there being proactive in other ways. You might not be getting the dope cars like all the rookies do but you do what is needed. You have been screwed over a lot and I would ***** about it too. And when these guys saying you're hiding have kids and families, they're all going to be fighting for those dayshift spots. Don't worry about them. Keep doing what you're doing.LMAO, go back to the PPD site Mrs C.

07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Ofc C, arn't you the one that let the S5 suspect get away?

07-05-2008, 07:04 PM
This is the kind of back slapping all agency "brothers" should be doing!! And you call yourselves professional! No wonder no one takes this agency serious. When someone has the balls to post something in their name you can't type fast enough to bash them.

The topic was regarding admin and taking away the cars; can't you even stay on track?

07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
This is the kind of back slapping all agency "brothers" should be doing!! And you call yourselves professional! No wonder no one takes this agency serious. When someone has the balls to post something in their name you can't type fast enough to bash them.

The topic was regarding admin and taking away the cars; can't you even stay on track? Don't see your name, bro

07-06-2008, 03:35 AM

The topic was regarding admin and taking away the cars; can't you even stay on track? Don't see your name, bro

Klemkoward There you happy?