PDA

View Full Version : Amendment One

07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I just want to say thank you. Because of this we once again will not see a decent pay raise. Yet time and time again the city purchases things like palm trees and other unique items that do nothing for the city. Start investing in your public safety employees.

At the 3% or 2.5% cost of living/merit increases, I to will be living in the woods out in gateway. I just hope my family can adjust.

Snipe away at my post, it’s just sad that some people are deaf to this concern. It's not going to get any better.

07-03-2008, 01:41 AM
maybe if we stop buying spec houses and things you dont need, you would not worry about a measly 3 to 5 % raise. Deal with your decisions, dont try to blame them on a few innocent palm trees. Afterall, they help the enviroment and promote healthy air.

remember, the city did not overextend themselves, some of you did

07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
whats wrong with gateway? lushcious forestry. military compounds. caddy dealers. landfills. copper mining. Good family fun for all to enjoy.

closer to work for hurricane duty. close to wal-mart. close to work. more economical for gas. close to I-275. close to Starbucks. sign me up.

07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Very true, most of us just want a competive salary. Really I don't think it's to much to ask. How can you say spec houses,,,, most of us can't even afford to live in the city.

07-05-2008, 04:42 AM
How can any of you possibly defend such a complete waiste of money as 89K for palm trees with the current state of things. Just because it was grant money does not mean it Ok to blow it on expensive palm trees. Grant or not it is still tax payers money. Where to you think grant money comes from. It comes out your pocket the same as it comes out my pocket. I will tell you straight up. I do not live in Pinellas Park and when I first heard about this purchase my thoughts were that if the citizens of Pinellas Park do not have a problem with it then it is their business. That money came from everyones pocket. To see that kind of money spent on a particular specis of palm tree because they wanted them to match!!!
Who is running your city, Martha Stewart? You people should demanding someone be held accountable not defending the purchase because....Oh well, it was just grant money. Not real tax payers money. This is one of the most irresponsible waist of money I can recall.
Think of all the things that money could have purchased that would have a better impact on the citizens of Pinellas Park. Where is your outrage?

07-05-2008, 05:23 AM
You make a valid point but we have been expressing outrage at being one of the lowest paid police department's in the county for the past several years. It has gotten us no where.

We are mearly employees. It makes no difference if we express our outrage. If the citizens do it, that is another story.

However I think the point the officers were making is that in this case we can't be outraged that our pay is low because they bought palm trees. The point was that the money for this specific purchase was grant money and could only be used for landscaping. It could not be saved and then given to city employees to offset low wages.

Your point is valid and let me tell you, no regular city employees understand the purchase. Then again, they don't consult with the police department when they purchase palm trees. They do send over the assistant city manager to inspect our police cars before we can have them replaced though? It doesn't matter what the fleet management director and the mechanics say, the assistant city manager who knows little about engines and cars needs to see them first? I can only assume his time might be better spent reviewing landscape purchases in the future. Perhaps we need a new landscaping administrator in the city?

07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I like the palm trees, I don't have any outrage, sorry.