PDA

View Full Version : 3 Minutes 24 Seconds of Total Terror

NewsHound
07-02-2008, 06:01 AM
PLANTATION - Despite a two-minute conversation in which a 911 caller told an operator she was racing to the police station with a gunman in pursuit, police weren't dispatched to help her until she lay dying in the station parking lot, according to records obtained Tuesday by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Olidia Kerr Day, 45, repeatedly screamed for help. But no one sent officers to try to rescue the mother of three, no one helped guide her to the police station, and no one waited for her in the parking lot, dispatch records show.

Plantation Police Chief Larry Massey said the 911 center, like other computerized dispatch centers, aims to alert officers within a minute of receiving an emergency call. Information is sent to all patrol officers and 911 center employees as soon as it's entered into the computer.

It took twice as long for the Plantation 911 center to enter the details of Day's call on April 25 into its computer system. Day already had spent another minute on the phone with Sunrise 911 operators before she was transferred to Plantation. Her total time on the phone with dispatchers was 3 minutes, 24 seconds.

Records show nothing was typed into the system until shots were fired.

"We all know that seconds save lives," Massey said. "Do I wish that the communications center personnel got it on the radio sooner? Yes."

When Day and gunman Carlos Cevallos, 48, drove into the parking lot, Officer Amy Wetzel, 28, was behind a front desk window, talking to a dispatcher and a community service aide. She ran out of the lobby with her gun drawn after she noticed the commotion outside, police said.

Cevallos chased Day across the parking lot and shot her from behind. Wetzel ordered him to drop his gun and fired two rounds but missed. Day had fallen face-first to the ground. Cevallos stood over her and shot her once more. He then turned to Wetzel, put his Bersa 9mm handgun to his temple and pulled the trigger, police said.

"I'm shocked that it's a possibility that a call could go on that long before anyone sends help," said Day's son, Edward Kerr, 24. "She does everything she can (to get help), but everything she tries fails."

Day's boyfriend, Jesus Sosa, 41, also had called 911 about the same time. He told a Plantation 911 operator that he was in his van, trying to follow Day and Cevallos, who were traveling south of Northwest 70th Avenue in separate cars.

Sosa lost sight of the two cars and hung up on the 911 operator. He then flagged down an officer. As Sosa begged the officer for help in finding Day, the officer received an alert on his police radio about the shooting in the station parking lot, police said.

The 911 center at the same time also was juggling a report of a possible abduction from the Broward Mall, according to police reports.

Day's family and some emergency services consultants have criticized the Police Department's handling of the call.

Paul Linnee, a consultant based in Minneapolis, said calls from people who are not at a fixed location are challenging, but once an operator learns where the caller may be or is headed, the call should be dispatched to officers.

"Did the call taker take all two minutes of the caller's call to try and get information out of her before telling the cops about it? If the answer to that question is 'Yes', then the call taker may have done something wrong," Linnee said of Day's case.

The signal from Day's cell phone bounced off a cell phone tower that initially routed the call to Sunrise's 911 center, even though she was driving in Plantation at the time. A Sunrise 911 operator transferred the call to Plantation, where 911 Operator Rebecca Prieto, 28, tried for about two minutes -- most of the call -- to get Day to describe her location. Prieto also asked Day whether she spoke Spanish and if she knew the man who was chasing her. Day screamed back that she wanted to know where the Police Department was, but neither operator told her.

Day reached the station on her own at 7:28 p.m.

Though Massey said he doesn't fault his department's handling of the chaotic situation, on May 8 he issued a memo to department leaders, calling for a revamp of the current training program for 911 center personnel.

"In its totality, I think we did a good job," he said. "I think the actions of the dispatcher were certainly reasonable. I'm standing behind her. I know she took a beating in the press for it, and it's unfortunate. It's a tough job."

Source (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-729flb911calls,0,3333930.story)

07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
It seems like the city that has lower crime haqs the better officers. Since we all work within close proximity and you guys can't control the violent crime in your city, it would only prove that you are the lousy cops that can't get the job done. It's Plantation cops that actually put fear in the bad guys and force them over to your city where they know they have a better chance of scoring against you baffoons.

Shot twice at the bad guy and missed ? did the gun run out of ammo ?

You guys suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-03-2008, 07:19 PM
It seems like the city that has lower crime haqs the better officers. Since we all work within close proximity and you guys can't control the violent crime in your city, it would only prove that you are the lousy cops that can't get the job done. It's Plantation cops that actually put fear in the bad guys and force them over to your city where they know they have a better chance of scoring against you baffoons.

Shot twice at the bad guy and missed ? did the gun run out of ammo ?

You guys suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Your argument lacks direction. Quit reading the Dumb Sentinel and pick up a real paper. You channel 7 watcher...

07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Not cops. You have a firm control over the English language, I see.

07-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Money needs to be put into the equipment for the 22nd century dispatcher. After all that is where we are headed. 911 operators are usually dealing w/hysterical callers that do not know where they are and it is left to us to guide them to descriptions of the area they are in or near,and trying to get them to calm down enough to answer us. When cell phones can show EXACT LOCATIONS for each and every call that will be a GOD send for the citizens and the 911 call takers. In this excerpt it does not clarify how Sunrise pd knew to patch the caller to Plantation PD. The citizen could have asked to be transferred thinking she knew where she was AND THEN kept just saying i am in plantation please get me the police,i am in plantation while the 911 op was trying to clarify WHERE IN PLANTATION. Also IM for 911 would be very beneficial. We have IM for regular email, why not for pos life and death situations that are the reason for 911? An IM might have been a life saving upgrade for the Charlotte County sheriffs office bc the IM would pop up in front the dispatcher attached to the call in question w/the needed immediate information to get out to the road patrol. A dispatcher could be working w/30 to 100 units and getting many messages that sometimes takes a while to get looked at, w/IM that problem would be eliminated. We need to staff all 911 centers to the capacity of the population not just today but for the population in YEARS TO COME. Staff the 911 center to be able to meet the demands of the citizens and not have any given operator do the work of usually 2.5 people. Automate all maps to be zoned for adjoining jurisdictions so that any multi - agency situation can be promptly handled and patched to the corresponding agency w/o mistakes that flipping thru a map book can create and the time it takes to do so would be non-existent and should be if at all possible. Automated maps are possible. IM is possible. Full staffing of 911 centers is possible. We handle calls from people usually in their worst states of mind, trying to get exactly what the problem is and descriptions of persons involved is usually difficult to acquire ,never mind the where help is needed question, especially w/the inundation of cell phone. Most of the time people do not know where they are, or what direction they are heading in. Especially in Hectic situations where they usually just say 'get the police here! i am in broward county! get the police here. If only it were that simple. SO w/this being a Fact and part of the job, lets put the technical advances of this century and beyond to work in a job that will utilize all the gifts of technology EVERY DAY, ALL DAY to the benefits of the hysterical citizen, frustrated call taker and roll on down to the questioning officer. The hysterical citizen is a given, but the frustrated call taker and questioning officer DOES NOT HAVE TO BE.

07-04-2008, 12:43 AM
simple. the call taker was not properly trained in dealing with the type of hysterical citizen that called her that day. period. training, training, training. our call takers get none. this is what happens. talk about all the fancy electronics and gimics but when it comes down to it, it's always been human beings dealing with other human beings, always will be. learn to deal with the worst and the rest will be easy. stop making excusses.

07-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE EVER WORKED 911 ? IT DOES NOT SEEM SO FOR YOU TO SAY WHAT YOU POSTED. MOST 911 CALLS GO LIKE THIS "911 DO NEED POLICE , FIRE OR PARAMEDICS? 'YES' 'WHICH ONE DO U NEED?' ' YES" SOOO FINALLY , HOPEFULLY WE GET THE ANSWER AND IT IS NOT THE FAMOUS BUT LOVELY 'THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY (ON GOOD OLD 911- SHAME WE CAN NOT FINE THOSE WHO CALL 911 INSISTING IT IS NOT AN EMERGENCY AND GET AN ATTITUDE FOR ASKING. BUT ANYWAY, I DIGRESS. IT IS NOT THE LACK OF TRAINING. IN THE LEAST. I DONT KNOW IF IT IS TODAYS SOCIETY AND PEOPLE ARE JUST RUDE AND PRESUME , LIKE TV SHOWS, THEY CALL 911 AND BOOM HELP IS THERE. NOT W/HOW WE ARE TECHNOLOGICALLY LACKING. WE NEED THE UNCOOPERATIVE, HOSTILE CITIZEN TO STOP. TO THINK. YOU CALL 911. GIVE THE FULL ADDRESS WHERE U NEED HELP. BE IT A HOME AND NOT JUST 9411 IN TAMARAC OR THE OTHER GREAT ONE ON 31 STREET...NE NW SE SW? WHAT CROSS W/31ST? SINCE PEOPLE CALLING ARE NOT TRAINED AND CAN NOT BE TRAINED. OUR TRAINING AS 911 OPERATORS ONLY GOES SO FAR. IT IS ALMOST LIKE DEALING W/A DRUNK OR A VERY YOUNG CHILD (WHO IS SPOILED). SO IF WE COULD BY PASS THE PROBLEM OF THE UN-COOPERATIVE CITIZEN IN NEED OF HELP, THEY CALLED FOR, W/THE TECHNOLOGY OF GPS , WHAT HARM IS THERE IN THAT?????? SO WE GET THE SCREAMING 'GET THE POLICE HERE I AM IN BROWARD!! ( BROWARD COUNTY COVERS LAUDERDALE LAKES, LAUDERHILL, UNINCORPORATED FT LAUDERDALE, OAKLAND PARK,DEERFIELD,POMBANO,WEST PARK,PEMBROKE PARK, PARKLAND, NORTH LAUDERDALE,TAMARAC,PEMPBROKE PINES, MIRAMAR,HALLANDALE,SEA RANCH LAKES,LAUDERDALE BY THE SEA, DAVIE,SOUTHWEST RANCHES,WESTON,DANIA,THE PORT,THE AIRPORT, AND THAT JUST WHAT IS COVERED BY BSO- FOR OTHER JURISDICTIONS BROWARD COUNTY IS SUNRISE,PLANTATION,HOLLYWOOD,CORAL SPRINGS,FT LAUDERDALE, SOOOO BROWARD COUNTY IS CERTAINLY NOT SPECIFIC ENOUGH INFORMATION TO ALLOW FOR HELP TO BE SENT. NEITHER IS 31/5 .IF I SAID MEET ME ON MCNAB, YA THINK YA COULD GET TO ME???? SOOOO TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING OUT THE WAZOO WILL NOT SOLVE THE UNKNOWLEDGABLE CITIZEN CALLING UPSET AND WANTING IMMEDIATE HELP YET REFUSING (OR SOMETIMES , I GUESS)UNABLE TO GIVE THEIR LOCATION. SO TECHNOLOGY - GPS- WOULD TAKE THE GUESS WORK OUT OF SOMEONE IN NEED OF HELP THAT IS BEING THEIR OWN WORSE ENEMY BY CALLING 911 ON A CELL PHONE W/OUT KNOWING, OR BEING WILLING TO, OR ABLE TO GIVE US WHAT WE NEED TO DO OUR JOB. NO EXCUSES. HA NOPE NO EXCUSES. JUST 20 YEARS WORTH OF ANSWERING 911 AND DEALING OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER W/PEOPLE WHO CALLLLLLED 911 AND THEN WONT ANSWER THE QUESTIONS WE MUST ASK TO CLARIFY WHERE HELP IS NEEDED, SO THAT WE CAN GET A CALL IN TO OUR CENTER OOOOR PATCH TO THE CORRECT JURISDICTION, AND WHAT HELP IS NEEDED...ON AND ON UNFORTUNATELY. BUT AGAIN IF TECHNOLOGY WHERE A PART OF THE EQUATION THEN THE CITIZEN COULD BE AS HELPFUL AS USUAL AND EITHER WAY WE WOULD KNOW WHERE TO SEND POLICE AND OUR TIME WOULD NOT BE WASTED ARGUING W/SOMEONE THAT CALLLLLED 911 FOR HELP.

07-04-2008, 09:47 PM
When a 20 year veteran of dispatch (we'll take your woed on that) says that trining is not the answer, you see why we have the problem up there. You see vet, you're the problem! Narrow minded thinking. A dinosaur. Retire and let the people who want a better dispatch center, believe me we're ready, take over and get some fresh thinking and TRAINING (I CAN YELL TOO) started.

07-04-2008, 10:38 PM
HA HA HA YEAH HAVING A TECHNOLOGICALLY IMPROVED 911 POLICE DISPATCHING CENTER IS EXTREMELY NARROW MINDED (U HAVE MY WOED ON THAT) O B V I O U S L Y MY CONCEPT IS BEYOND THE GRASP OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU. THEREFORE THINGS WILL REMAIN THE SAME......AND WE SEE HOW WELL THAT HAS BEEN. YOU CAN PUT YOUR MONEY IN THE BANK THAT I WILL NOT WASTE MY TIME W/E V E R READING AGAIN ANY RESPONSES TO MY IDEA. YOUR ONE OF THOSE THAT WANT TO SAY THE POLICE SUCK, DISPATCHERS SUCK AND BLAH BLAH BLAH....YEAH HOW COULD TECHNOLOGY HELP ANYTHING AT ALL?? PENICILLIN WAS A HORRIBLE IDEA ...GOSH SHOULDA STUCK W/KEEPING THE WINDOWS CLOSED ....HOW MUCH OF A DINOSAUR WAS HE THAT CREATED PENICILLIN AND THE CONCEPT OF KEEPING CLEAN...O SHAME...AND THEN O MAN THE CONCEPTS OF FIRE ,,,SHELTER...OOO AND HORRIBLE HORRRIBLE THE WHEEL OOO LORD....AIRPLANES.... HOSPITALS....HEART TRANSPLANTS (NOW THAT HEART TRANSPLANT IDEA WAS FROM SOMEONE TRULY NARROW MINDED,HUH? JEEEZ YEAH THIS DINOSAUR IS NOT GOING TO WASTE ONE MORE MINUTE W/DEALING W/CITIZENS UNTILL I MUST...AND THEN I WILL DO AS I AM TRAINED WHICH IS TO ASK, I KNOW THAT SOOOO STUPID, WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO ASK ANYTHING...BUT ASK WHAT,WHO WHERE AND WHEN AND HOPE FOR AN ANSWER ANNND BE VERY VERY GRATEFUL FOR THE NARROW MINDED DINOSAUR THAT DARED TO CREATE THE RECORDER WHICH WILL COVER ME WHEN HELP DOESNT GET TO THE CALLER THAT DID NOT HAVE A CLUE ON WHERE THEY WERE....AND OO YEAH THANK GOD NO HORRIBLE NARROW MINDED DINOSAUR TECHNOLOGY WAS ANY WHERE INSITE TO ELIMINATE THIS WHOLE SCENARIO!!!! O YEAH LETS JUST TRAIN TO TRAIN AND TRAIN AND TRAIN AND TRAIN AND HOPE THAT THE CALLER WE GET HAS SOME BRAINS SO OUR TRAINING WILL COME IN USEFUL...YEAH THATS IT

07-04-2008, 11:32 PM
20 years as a dispatcher and you're trying to impress whom??? All I've grasped is more money, more presige, a better pension than you. Wow, 20 years in that whole with no movement anywhere. Gosh you sure put me in my place. How will I spend twice as much money as you this year????? Oh yeh, technology. A big screen t.v. Sucker!!!!

07-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Listen, shut up and give out the calls, thats what ya do! keep eating, getting fat and nasty and dispatch... Doesnt take rocket science to do what your doing. and yes Ive done it been there, but I got tired of you talking about BS and other ppl problems, specially your spouses!!!
People have cad and you still cant get it right!

07-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Apparently training isn't a priority which is obvious by the fact you have a female officer who shoots and misses.... Nice job....Unless you have been involved in a shooting, you don't what it is like and by the way, it is apparent Wexel needs training in firearms...end of story...should have taken him out, but thank goodness he did it so nothing happened to anyone else..Training is a great tool, just sometimes the people behind the desk and gun aren't efficient and need to find employment elsewhere..
They should both be fired...

07-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Apparently training isn't a priority which is obvious by the fact you have a female officer who shoots and misses.... Nice job....Unless you have been involved in a shooting, you don't what it is like and by the way, it is apparent Wexel needs training in firearms...end of story...should have taken him out, but thank goodness he did it so nothing happened to anyone else..Training is a great tool, just sometimes the people behind the desk and gun aren't efficient and need to find employment elsewhere..
They should both be fired...

07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
obviously "20 yr dispatcher" works for another dept. If she works for PPD, she must have been asleep this entire time because we have had electronic mapping for quite some time. Stay on your own board, you are preaching to the choir