PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Search by BPD Lt.

06-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Reading this article it is a shame that we have BPD Supervisors that are teaching the new officers such illegal acts!!!I can think of one budget cut right there as a taxpayer who will paying out in this lawsuit!!!!!

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... 00350/1661 (http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080630/NEWS/806300350/1661)

I sure hope that you aren't in the teaching profession. Let's clean up the excessive punctuation, capitalization of non-proper nouns, and other grammar. Then maybe, you can begin to talk about professionalism.

As far as the matter at which you have a problem. It's clear that Lt. Affolter did not violate civil rights. He just seeemingly did not articulate well enough, he fear of the defendant having a weapon. In the same situtaion, I'd act the same way. It just comes down to writing the report articulate enough for our half-dumb SAO's to make it dummy proof enough to file.

06-30-2008, 06:57 PM
You sound like one of those loser officers that got fired. It is very noticable that you were a sucky cop even if you were a cop. Lt. A is actually the only Lt that get out and works the streets. So screw you loser. Good job L40

06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
If you read the report you will see that its not anything like the SAO version. The SAO even declined to file on the failing to pay a traffic fine stating that if its not a mandatory court appearance then they dont have to sign. WOW do we all know thats wrong. They have since recanted that decline after the division chief stepped in. As for the search, read the report, no conscent to search was asked, the bad guy was asked if he had any weapons and his answer was you arent searching me for weapons then went into a fighting stance. Again read the report not the decline to file. The LT still didnt search him but conducted a pat down of outer clothing which is still not a search. A pat down requires no PC just articulable suspicion, read the case laws for that. Point here is read the reports before you judge a SAO decline.

07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
It sounds like he tried to do the right thing even though it ment loosing the case. As mentioned he could have easily arrested him based on the refusal to sign and said that it was discovered search incident to arrest however he held to the truth. You can't hang him for that, at least he has his integrity.

07-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Does anyone even know what integrity is here? Some officers need to be careful of their leaders! I know he/she promises things and makes you feel like you are in the "gang" but in the end he/she will be your demise...just give it a little time.

07-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Some of you negative officers sound exactly like the assh*le citizens/SAO who want to crucify cops for doing thier job. Any cop who loves life and has a family wants to go home at night. When you have some guy who says your not serching me for weapons, kinda sends off red flags. Maybe the cops/assh*le's who write these negative comments are just dumb rookies, lets all hope so. Good job L40!

07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Does anyone even know what integrity is here? Some officers need to be careful of their leaders! I know he/she promises things and makes you feel like you are in the "gang" but in the end he/she will be your demise...just give it a little time.

Nahhh what the Toke are you talking about?

07-02-2008, 02:34 AM
How does a pat down for weapons lead to a find of narccotics and money? I've never felt a money roll that felt like a weapon...and it would be a mere assumption to say exactly what you feel in someones pocket and state it is drugs. The pat down was clearly legal but a search was not.....like they said, it's all about the articulation.

07-02-2008, 04:42 AM
I wasnt referring to Toke but someone more near and dear to your own heart!

07-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Does anyone even know what integrity is here? Some officers need to be careful of their leaders! I know he/she promises things and makes you feel like you are in the "gang" but in the end he/she will be your demise...just give it a little time. Trueee, just like big daddy H!ll... The dictatorship days of this dept are over, all the big names are falling! just goes to show you, you ain't always as BAD as you think u is :evil: