PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater to Own Nightclub

NewsHound
06-28-2008, 10:09 PM
CLEARWATER — For 40 years, Johnie Blunt has been the owner of the Blue Chip nightclub.

On Monday, after years of negotiations, he'll turn the night spot over to the city, along with two adjacent properties he owns.

The club, run out of a blue building at Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and Tangerine Street in the city's North Greenwood community, has been a constant source of friction for police, who say they've visited the establishment thousands of times for everything from fights to noise to shootings.

"The city wants it and I'm 80 years old. It's time for me to retire and get out of it," Blunt said Friday. "I'm going fishing."

The city will pay Blunt $525,000 for the property and up to $8,300 in closing costs. The majority of the money is coming from a community development block grant. An additional $59,000 will come from a state brownfields fund and federal dollars, said Gerri Campos Lopez, Clearwater's Economic Development and Housing director.

Clearwater City Manager Bill Horne said the city doesn't have any immediate plans for the site.

"We intend to have a broad range of conversations with nonprofits and residents in the area," Horne said.

He said some in the community want to see the building torn down. Others think the building is structurally sound and should be used for something else.

Katrina George has lived in the North Greenwood area all her life and runs a program for teen girls. She said closing the Blue Chip will lead to positive growth in the community.

"But I also feel that the city needs to be extremely conscious of what it puts in its place," George said.

This isn't the first time Clearwater has purchased a troubled property in the North Greenwood area.

In 2003, the city helped purchase Maccabee's Bar, which is a few blocks from the Blue Chip on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Residents complained about noise, fights and patrons causing trouble outside the establishment.

Clearwater Neighborhood Housing Services, with funds from Clearwater and NeighborWorks America, purchased Maccabee's for $125,000. In addition, the city forgave $45,100 in business loans.

The site is now the home of a business center, which includes a Head Start child care center.

Clearwater police Chief Sid Klein sees the purchase of the Blue Chip as "the closing chapter of a book."

"If I was an author, I would title the book The Last Bar," Klein said. "The closing of the Blue Chip closes a chapter of thousands of calls that involve everything imaginable that a police officer would have to deal with."

As for Blunt's retirement, Klein said: "Forty years is quite a history and I wish him all the best. But it's time to move on."

Blunt's doing just that. Sunday, he held his last party in the Blue Chip, giving his patrons free drinks.

"I'll miss it," he said. "But it is time for me get out of it."

Source (http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article648320.ece)

06-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Who says crime doesn't pay. Blunt has operated that hole for 40 years. You name the crime, it has occured there or outside of the place. I'm sick to think that the City is paying over 500,000 for the place. Horne and the boys suck.

06-30-2008, 03:07 AM
Maybe the city can turn it into a convention center! Half million for the property and 2 million for the renovations. It worked for the Harbor View Center.

Or, maybe Horne could donate five years pay so the city funds dont have to be used, and no jobs have to be cut.

06-30-2008, 10:18 PM
amazing..the city is cutting positions and laying people off, but are now buying bars...(?)WTF?[/b]

07-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Maybe Sid and Dewey are going to take it over and let J.B. run it...call it the D1NONLY CLUB! WWJD can take care of ladies nights, too. What do you think??

07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
that was a job security location for the North End....

07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Job security?.....they just closed the bar....the s@#$bags still live there.

08-01-2008, 01:47 AM
It amazing how the city is crying poverty and how amendment 1 forced them to cut the budget. Not to mention continuing a fight with the FD over money and yet they spend half a million on a building in the most S$$$hole part of the city. Just to put a fence around it and eventually plow it down.

Hey lets have David Blane do a stunt it that one, maybe he can run around the needles and crack pipes jumping over drug dealers and prostitues. Maybe even do a drive by too, while Ghetto gone wild films it with some ugly women dancing in bathing suits.

This city is run by the most crooked people who care about themselves and not the city employees or citizens. They need to be lead out in a field and shot for the waste of airspace they truly are. Constant spending in Greenwood while other parts of the community could use a facelift. And letting the dam cult takes over downtown, when is Tom Cruise becoming Mayor or city manager.

08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
While I completely agree the City should not have spent $500K on this property, the money is federal grant money that is required to be spent on purchasing property to improve certain neighborhoods. It can't be used for anything else and if it's not used in a certain time frame, it gets forfeited back to the federal government.