PDA

View Full Version : What is it really like?

06-16-2008, 11:27 PM
I am currently a LE applicant and have recently been reading the forums on this site and wonder if I really want to work at this agency. All I see is complaint after complaint. Its either the supervisors, Col, guns, badge, computers,pay, etc.

Now Ive worked in the government all my life and couldn't care less about some of those things. I expect them to say there is not enough money for an important resource then spend 10 million on a toilet seat. I accepted that when I decided to stay in government work. And I know the pay is below standard. I'm taking more than a 15% pay if I get on at this agency. But if it is even 1% better than my last agency then it is more than worth it.

Now I don't work for the agency yet so I cannot say one way or the other if the problems in these forums are bad enough to not work there. (a job I thought I could be happy with)

Before I read these forums I believed this to be a great place to work. I formed this opinion after reading the GO's. They seem straight forward with no BS. Unlike the SO I just left, where its NOTHING BUT BS, that is designed to ruin deputies lives and make their job a living hell.

All I've read on this site are negative things, CAN ANYONE SAY ANYTHING POSITIVE?

06-17-2008, 01:01 AM
I got news for you, if you read the other forums for the other agencies, thats all you hear is complaints. And its always the same thing, not being paid enough.

06-17-2008, 01:34 AM
The best job in law enforcement, if you can afford to do it.

06-17-2008, 01:58 AM
second that

06-17-2008, 02:34 AM
There will always be things you will not agree with at any agency. If being a Game Warden is what you want to do, FWC is as good as any other Resource agency. The best thing you can do is talk with as many FWC Officers (in person) as you can and form your own opinion. The good thing about the FWC is if you don't like the area you are assigned to work, you can always transfer.

The Number ONE problem with FWC (or any state agency) is not knowing if you will ever get a pay raise!!! Based on past trends, after 14 or so years your salary will be roughly $3,000 more than starting. The questions you should be asking yourself are;

"Can I afford to support my family in 14 years for under $40,000 a year?"

"Can I financially afford to work 25 years for the state and be able to retire on 75% of a very low salary"?

"How will I be able to pay for health insurance upon retirement"? It is currently $900 or so a month.

06-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks!! I know that no matter where I go or even what I do there will be something I dont like about my job. And as for the pay, I knew I wasn't going to be rich when I decided to be in Law Enforcement.

Sadly, in today's world, no LE will make what they should!!! We can only hope that brass will get smart and change. No one knows what the future will hold. It's nice to know that some people enjoy their job!!

06-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks!! I know that no matter where I go or even what I do there will be something I dont like about my job. And as for the pay, I knew I wasn't going to be rich when I decided to be in Law Enforcement.

Sadly, in today's world, no LE will make what they should!!! We can only hope that brass will get smart and change. No one knows what the future will hold. It's nice to know that some people enjoy their job!!

Don't get hung up on the old saying "I knew I was never going to get rich in law enforcement" That happens to already be the excuse used by those who choose not to pursue a pay raise for us. Between that and "Suck it up", I don't know which is worse. These are only beat by "Well you could always promote". This saying fails to recognise that there are only so many positions at the top.

Until changes are made in the pay structure, go elsewhere and do right by your family. Other than serious medical problems financial problems can affect you more than anything else. They can affect every aspect of your life up to and including your faith. Remember, money is not everything unless you have enough of it. It may sound shallow but it is true.

06-17-2008, 09:40 PM
What ever you do stay away from the NORTH WEST region!!!! The rest of the state is a better place to work. We have to put up with a micro manager here. He was bad as a Captian, But now as a major its a NIGHTMARE!!!!! He spends more time mis treating his officers than trying to improve things. I think it boils down to "little man" syndrome.

06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
He woodent happin to be wonna den dare game wardins that likes to talk about de good ol des wood he?

21Regal
06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Sounds like B,W,P&M to me. The job is what you make of it. If all you do is think of things to gripe about then that is what YOU have made of it. Enough is enough, like I said before I am still enjoying the job. If you think it suck$ then go ride with a Deputy. When the domestic viol. calls hit double digits for the night, and all of your reports are due by the end of the shift, then you got a right to gripe.
:twisted:

06-18-2008, 02:47 PM

It's not about getting rich.... It's about earning a decent living for you and your family!!!! The price of everything has nearly doubled or went higher, yet FWC pay has barely budged!!! It's simple economics. You earn a certain amount, you spend a cetain amount. When you have cut the spending all you can but the income still can't cover it, it's time to move on (unless you want to wok a bunch of Off-duty and overtime)!!!