PDA

View Full Version : 12 hour shifts

06-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Thoughts???

06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
about time, our current schedule has always sucked, we've told them over and over. The problem was when it came time to choose 10 or 12 hour shifts, people began to ***** and moan too much so they dropped it. Glad our admin can make a decision, finally.

06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
10 hour shifts would be better, as the county figured that out after working 12's. The 12 hour shift will effect off duty work. You probably will not be allowed to work off-duty on your work day. Not to mention if you work 7p-7a then have court at 8:30 and done with trial...lets say 1pm. Go home and goto bed by 2pm...wake up 6pm...bad case scenario but it will happen.

15 officers working...so 5 take leave and your down to 10 again?...i dont know, guess we shall see how it all plays out.

06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
the deputies loved 12 hours, those who were worth a damn anyway, the only reason they went back to 10 hour was because of a certain captain they have and a certain"someone" who had close ties to that captain. Most of them were upset. Where else can you work 182 days a year, with 10 paid holidays and another 240 hours leave. For those of you who abuse leave like a step child, that means really you only have to "work" about 4 months a year compared to everyone in the private sector.
If you don't like it quit, I am for it, but the whiners who abuse their leave caused it.

06-13-2008, 07:54 PM
The median income for Escambia County is 35K. Off duty is just that, off duty, meaning "EXTRA MONEY". Don't use the off duty arguement. For a single officer who doesn't want to leave the area, try and find a job making more than 30K, good luck unless your Daddy owns a business. If you have put yourself and your family in a situation where you depend on off duty, sorry, that's your problem.

Our starting salary is 35K. When I started is was below 20K and that was not that long ago. Those of you in this new generation don't know what it is to have to work off duty to make ends meet to just provide the basics. Get rid of one of your vehicles, your boat, jet ski, and your house that a realtor like Sgt. Horn (he is a proven liar) convinced you that you could afford even though you couldn't. It's called budgeting folks. A lot of you young folks can't even budget your leave, which is why you don't have any. If your leave is less than 400 hours, don't complain about 12 hours shifts, YOU PUT US THERE!!!!

06-14-2008, 05:48 AM
All I can say after reading the above post..wow.

..and the 35k? Damn..working toward 5 years and thats about my base pay...officers start at 35k? Sucks for me I guess.

06-17-2008, 12:39 PM
is anybody talking about leaving the department because of the change in shifts? it's going to be a hard adjustment, but i'm willing to try it out. i love this job and i'm not going to let a little obstacle like this get me down.

06-17-2008, 08:09 PM
It wasn't that long ago that Pensacola Police Department was the PREMIER agency for new applicants. For the most part, every former PPD officer who left for ESCO wasn't missed. Don't be misled because they have rank now, they are idiots, the Lt's, and Sgt's. If you want names, just ask. It seems as of lately because of corrupt operations by the sheriff, everyone who has standards gets hired by ECSO, which even drops the hiring standards. I think in the past 3-4 years PPD is competing with the SO to see who can hire the biggest idiot! Amanda, you there? You are on the list, Sherry, don't laugh to hard, who is your babies daddy? I don't think you can answer that, it's between a few officers, supervisors and Lt's. You two don't need to ***** about 12 hours, you are two great reasons to go to it, don't let your spineless supervisors who are scared of speaking the truth fool you. Why don't you do us a favor and quit? All we are is welfare for you anyway. You are slackers and do the least amount of work possible, play stupid to avoid calls and are "running scared". The state gives food stamps to folks like you, you caused 12 hour shifts, so go away, please, we hate you.

You are an embarrassment to the department. Hiding behind an anonymous name on a message board and calling out other officers is as gutless and spineless as it gets. Approach those officers and tell them how you feel instead of hiding on a message board like a coward. In a way you have proven part of your point, that being that the PPD has lowered it's standards if you put in the uniform.

06-18-2008, 01:53 AM
bad approach, but approach either one of them with the truth and see what happens, really, they are teflon, they can do what they want without fear of punishment, they "slide" right out of it. The only difference between the two of them is that one was successful in her bs sexual harassment claim. Just a "retired" observer.

06-21-2008, 07:20 PM
the deputies loved 12 hours, those who were worth a darn anyway, the only reason they went back to 10 hour was because of a certain captain they have and a certain"someone" who had close ties to that captain. Most of them were upset.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The majority of ECSO Patrol deputies hated twelves and voted to go back to tens. The only people who like twelves were single folks who wanted to work more gigs. Twelves destroys any family life you have especially if you have kids.

There was no captain who forced us to go back in fact we went back to tens in spite of most captains, who BTW only worked eight hour days.
Twelves ended up costing our dept more in comp time, damage to vehicles i.e. more wrecks, morale plummeted and sick leave usage skyrocketed. The sheriff realized it was a disaster.

You guys will learn.....trust me.

Veterans take notice, the only people embracing twelves are rookie boys, divorcees who seldom see their kids and your admin.

06-22-2008, 03:32 PM
THE ABOVE POSTER DOES NOT SPEAK FOR MOST DEPUTIES.

There are definitnely bad sides to 12 hour shifts, but this is what it comes down to. In exchange for getting your azz kicked on sleep for 2-3 days while you are on, you get WAY more days off. I personally prefer the extra days off. I mean hey, you are already at work, do another 4 hours and get an extra 6 days a month off.

That of course, is just an opinion, and there are thsoe who would rather have a shorter day and only 2 days a week off. Just be open minded and I bet you find that about 70% like the 12 hour shifts.

06-23-2008, 04:11 AM
THE ABOVE POSTER DOES NOT SPEAK FOR MOST DEPUTIES.

Correct I don't speak for most deputies but the polls taken by ECSO Patrol deputies stated it loud and clear.

The written poll taken of Patrol guys in 2004 said that twelves were garbage and tens needed to come back.
Another poll taken in late 2007 by patrol in outlying precincts reaffirmed the love of tens and hatred of twelves.

Zip your trousers Dooley, your rookie is showing.

06-24-2008, 09:20 PM
10 hours? we work 9 on a 28 day pay cycle, what could be worse? 12's are an improvement!!!

06-26-2008, 03:30 AM
haven't checked this site in a while, but WOW!!!

Check out Boston PD's forum, we can all learn from them. Peace out!

08-05-2008, 02:41 AM
What does patrol think about 12 hour shifts and how it was all handled? You really think your saving gas?

08-05-2008, 01:47 PM
The shifts are long, but not that bad, but the time off more than makes up for it. I didn't see or hear of any other gas saving ideas, what was yours?

08-05-2008, 06:25 PM
We could switch to a ford focus like most of europe uses or a smart car. lol :evil:
Oh, and they do come with police packages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vien ... ce_Car.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vienna_Police_Car.JPG)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Poli ... 750pix.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Police.car.1.arp.750pix.jpg)

Deputy Dooley
09-21-2008, 01:25 AM
From what I hear, 12s are working just fine.. kinda like I said they would ;)

09-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Um, define "working just fine."

09-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah??? Almost everyone on my shift hates it, so do I.

09-23-2008, 02:53 AM
I think the 12 hour shifts are working just fine for everyone that doesn't have to work them. Pretty much everyone that I've spoken with doesn't like them at all. I wonder if the savings are really adding up like it was proposed. I seriously doubt it.

09-25-2008, 12:52 AM
For the most part, a majority of those *****ing would ***** if we worked 2 hour days. So that "squad" who hates it needs to look in a mirror. You are probably all females or dayshift cry babies. Work about 5 years as a real police officer than you might deserve to cry. If the majority of your time is on dayshift patrol, I'll supply the mirror.

09-25-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm not sure I understand what makes dayshift easier than any other shift. There's more brass, paperwork, heat, traffic, wrecks etc. etc. on days. Not knocking any other shift, just curious. From what I understand, the night crew is the one having more problems with the 12 hour shift. Can't say that isn't understandable though, when you schedule your homelife around getting off at 1200 then it gets changed to 500 or 600 that can seriously screw things up. Dayshift really only got an hour added to the end of their shift, the biggest inconveinience is getting up two or three hours earlier.

09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Dayshift is just for those who want to wear a uniform. The real cops work at night. It cracks me up to hear a newby say, "I have to work days because of family issues". What that translates to is, "there is bad guys at night and I'm scared". What does the brass have to do with how you do your job?

09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
If you want a good homelife you need to find a new career. They didn't teach you that in college? A law enforcement career is not good for a marriage, not easy for your kids and is defintely not a job to make friends. I am sorry you have that impression of it. Doing this job is a committment and you as a police officer have to make sacrifices to make up for it in your marriage and with your children, not the job sacrificing for you. This is a tough job for tough minded people, if you can't hang find a new one.

09-25-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with the last poster. Law enforcement is like the military, you took an oath, and I don't think that oath said anything about wife and kids! If you want a JOB, go work at a bank, this isn't a job.

02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
I've been working the street for just on 25 years now in Victoria, Australia. I've done a lot of different shift systems over the years and have to say a properly managed 12 hour schedule is the best I've tried. The key is good management. Like most departments, (Victoria Police has around 12,000 members) we suffer from chronic understaffing and under an 8 hour system, we end up working most weekend, too many nights and up to 15+ shifts straight. At least with 12s we get decent rest and recovery time. Our administrators don't like 12s and don't understand them because... they don't have to work shifts so itreally doesn't matter to them. Close to 98 % of officers who have worked 12s here wouldn't go back to 8s in a million years. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. If anyone wants any info please feel free to contact me at timetraveller58@iprimus.com.au
Take it easy out there,
Peter Oliver
L/S/C 23952
Warragul Police
Victoria,
Australia

02-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Good hearing from "down under".

There are various messages making the rounds saying that crime is on the increase since your country required everyone (except criminals) to turn in their firearms. What is your take on that subject?

02-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Funny you should ask.... our out going chief says crime is down overall. Funny word that - 'overall'. The most recent figures say that the only significant increase has been in murder, rape offences and armed robbery! She (that's right - Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon) is a media spin doctor 'par excellence'. She has turned Victoria Police into a community policing/ baby sitting organisation.
As far as gun laws over here are concerned, it's extremely difficult for decent honest people to own any sort of firearm. Try a 'net search on 'Victoria gun laws' and you'll see what I mean. Surprisingly enough, I haven't seen one criminal come in to register his sawn-off shot gun or 9mm or to get a shooters/firearms licence! What's wrong with these people - don't they know it's against the law to do that stuff!
Sorry for the cynicism but it's getting quite ridiculous over here.
Most aussie crims know that VIctoria is the place to go to commit crimes because if you get caught not much will happen to them. They even raised the age for juveniles attending children's court to 19! Not many 19 olds I ever met that I'd call a kid.
There have been recent calls for a NY style 'no tolerance' policy to be introduced in Melbourne to deal with out of control street violence around the night club precinct.
Chief Nixon didn't want to know about it (too confrontational) and instead set up a 'quiet area' where drunks could sit for a while and have free tea/coffee and biscuits!
She also got a bunch of dolled up Hummers for the guys to drive around the city in. The idea was that the drunks would notice the Hummers and behave a bit better?
It didn't work. It all sounds like something out of a Chevy Chase movie but it's true! 'National Lampoon's Australian Vacation' perhaps?
As a NY officer said when one of our guys visited recently, "Waddya kiddin' me!"
Take it easy,
Aussie Pete.

retiredFDLE
04-11-2010, 04:26 PM
???

former231
04-11-2010, 05:16 PM
The median income for Escambia County is 35K. Off duty is just that, off duty, meaning "EXTRA MONEY". Don't use the off duty arguement. For a single officer who doesn't want to leave the area, try and find a job making more than 30K, good luck unless your Daddy owns a business. If you have put yourself and your family in a situation where you depend on off duty, sorry, that's your problem.

Our starting salary is 35K. When I started is was below 20K and that was not that long ago. Those of you in this new generation don't know what it is to have to work off duty to make ends meet to just provide the basics. Get rid of one of your vehicles, your boat, jet ski, and your house that a realtor like Sgt. Horn (he is a proven liar) convinced you that you could afford even though you couldn't. It's called budgeting folks. A lot of you young folks can't even budget your leave, which is why you don't have any. If your leave is less than 400 hours, don't complain about 12 hours shifts, YOU PUT US THERE!!!!

When I was there I started at $21K ... boat? jetski? I couldn't afford any of that stuff. I was lucky to bring home $950 a month and of course the Sgts played favorites with "extra jobs" Resigning was the best thing I ever did. I missed it for awhile but thankfully now I make 6 figures. Congrats on finally getting taking home cars.

04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
This is what 12 hr shifts do for you

Working an 11-hour day can increase heart attack danger by 67 per cent

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z1IgiN7CzF (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1373375/Working-11-hour-day-increase-heart-attack-danger-67-cent.html#ixzz1IgiN7CzF)