PDA

View Full Version : CARL

06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
How come DACS patrols CARL lands and does the same job as FWC? I am just curious as this is a duplication of L/E duties that was talked about in the sunshine review. I know some of the lands are owned by DOF and DACS, but why duplicate jobs? This is in no way to stir things up, I am just curious. You guys are great to work with and are always there if needed on the forests. Also, is it true there is only about 15 CARL positions statewide?

06-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes CARL is wasteful and duplictaes duties. This could have been cut from the budget and the officers used to fill the ever vacant positions in the uniform section of our department, or the money used to give much needed raises to all officers. It is also wasteful as the CARL Officer is tied to that state forest and not expected to perform duties outside of it. It also has nothing to do with our core mission of agriculture.

06-13-2008, 02:48 PM
CARL is good for Ag Cops because it is one of the VERY FEW positions they can get into and get off the ramp. Most departments have lots of different teams and specialized positions that offer an opportunity do something different without leaving your agency.

06-18-2008, 09:15 PM
The CARL officer poisitons are not funded by the department, they are funded by grant monies. Since DOF pays for the officers they want the officers assigned to enforce all laws and ag rules wich apply to that forrest. FWC would not be able to dedicate an officer to just one forreest, FWC officers have way too many rules and laws to enforce dealing with a varity of things.

DOF is able to get an officer who is assinged there all of the time, except during emergenicies such as hurricanes. The officer gets to know the area very well and gains a feeling of ownership fo the forrest (not in a bad way in most cases) They get to know all of the rangers and DOF employees assigned to that area. They also investigate fires. I don't know of any FWC officers or investigtors who are certified wildland investigators. (not a slam on FWC)

06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I see that someone thinks that dof is not part of our core mission. WE are AGLAW enforcment, we enforce laws and rules of every division within the department. FYI we have 13 divisions. You may need to go review what aglaw really does, not just want uniform does.

06-18-2008, 11:41 PM
good posts.

Many of the things that officers complain about as being "waste of money" are not out of our general budget, not out of our salaries, but come from grants.

06-19-2008, 12:55 PM
How come all State Forests do not have CARL Officers if it is so important to DOF?

06-19-2008, 11:55 PM
CARL stands for Conservation And Recreational Lands and forests that fall in that category must be purchased or partially run by CARL Grant moneys to quailify for a CARL officer. Not all state forests are.

07-16-2008, 02:11 AM
I have been a CARL officer for about two years. On my Forest I rarely encounter any other Law Enforcement. If I did not patrol my Forest it would not be Patrolled at all. FWC shows up now and then during hunting season but after that I never see them the rest of theyear. Forestry used to have their own Fire Investigators but could not maintain the needed standards. Now CARL fills that need. I worked the Ramps before coming to CARL and I respect my Brothers who work the Ramps. They are the backbone of AG Law. But CARL does fill an important niche and are not redundant. FWC Guys come to me about illegal burns. Transportation of Feral Hogs etc. They have their job and CARL has ours. We usually have no back up when we make an arrest. We do a dangerous job and a job that is relevant. Do we love it.You bet. I would recommend it to anyone. Do we work as hard as the Investigators? Probably not. That is why they make 9K a year more.

07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
wHAT?? carl officers dont do much, they go 10-8 and 10-42.

07-18-2008, 10:32 PM
DEP should patrol CARL lands. they have they equipment and they are more of a general law enforcement agency than AG or FWC. They do more traffic and and regular LE than both agenices and their brass encourages hard work and proactivity. Their trucks have cages and radars and they have a lot of boats and other equipment that can be used in the forests. In reality, a lot of these agencies should be combined.

07-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Go back to your own board DEP

09-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Taken from Oppaga review for DEP Report No. 03-01
Conclusions and Recommendations
We recommend that the department outsource some of its park patrol services. The program’s park patrol officers spend most of their time conducting routine patrol services that could be performed by officers that do not have extensive, specialized training in environmental laws and regulations. Also, most of the arrests made by park patrol officers do not involve violations of environmental crimes. By outsourcing some of its park patrol services, the department could provide law enforcement and security services in state parks without having to hire costly additional full-time state law enforcement employees.

They brag about being a more traditional law enforcement agency doing more than just park patrol. Keep up the good work guys, your working yourself right out of a job or under another agency.

09-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Thats exactly what ag will do by working out out of a job! Keep up the traffic cop job and the same will surely happen when the gaurd changes. It will change.

09-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Both DEP and CARL are a waste, bunch of no load wanna be's............ quick stop em they are stealing twigs and stuff to build a camp fire, quick stop em they have a camp fire and no stones around it, quick quick quick bunch of loser's....

09-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Why don't you come tell us the next time you see one of us?? You gutless coward.

09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
that OPPAGA report was from 2001. They explored the issue and decided they could not get the level of service from outsourcing LE duties to local jurisdictions. There are something like 21 million visistors a year to state parks/lands/preserves/etc that the state is reponsible for.

09-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Why don't you come tell us the next time you see one of us?? You gutless coward.

uhhhhhhhh boy I'm a scared now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bahahahahahah you bunch of wanna be losers.