PDA

View Full Version : Special Treatment

06-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Saturday's Editorial, made for some intersting reading.
Published: June 6, 2008

Coming from a family with a very long history in law enforcement, I find it very hard to understand why Chief Tom Dettman would expect his son to receive any type of special treatment when he is breaking the law.

I have parents, siblings, uncles and cousins that were and are in law enforcement. Never once did I, nor my family, expect special treatment when I was in the wrong! I've been pulled over for speeding or "coasting" through a stop sign and because of who my family are, has gotten me out of it but, I have also received tickets for these things.

I'm older now and a lot more responsible when it comes to my driving habits. I never once went to my family and asked them to take care of it. I also have never thrown in anyone's face as to who my family is. My parents would have never allowed it.

My siblings and I were always told growing up that if we do the crime we will do the time. Our parents would have expected whatever law enforcement agency we were in trouble with to treat us just as any other citizen would have been treated.

He is the chief of the Sebring Police Department and he knows the laws. If his son is breaking them, then he needs to face the music and suck it up. I don't think he would have this much sympathy for any other citizen who was treated this way.

I just find it a shame that the chief wants his son to be handled differently than any other citizen of Highlands County. I'm really sorry that the sheriff's office is having to deal with this because I have nothing but the utmost respect for all of the law enforcement officers here in our county. I believe they do an excellent job and I feel safer at night because of them and unfortunately, Chief Dettman is now trying to give them a bad name. I say "Good for you" for not giving his son any special treatment. He needs to grow up.

Douglas Harris
Sebring

06-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Douglas Harris for Chief!

06-11-2008, 03:34 AM
I'll second that nomination !

06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Chief Dettman is a sexist prick! How many women cops does he have? Umm...3? 4 tops!? JUST to cover each squad & to have someone to pat down females that get arrested. He'll hire men with NO law enforcement or military experience that are old & ALSO put them through the academy instead of hiring a female with law enforcement experience.
He's a pig. His son deserves NOTHING special. If you break the law you are & should be intitled to the same treatment as anyone else. No one, not even the Chief himself should be pampered or allowed special treatment or given the right to break the law. He needs to grow a set & quit letting Mommy & Daddy wipe his a$$ for him!

07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Chief Dettman is a sexist prick! How many women cops does he have? Umm...3? 4 tops!? JUST to cover each squad & to have someone to pat down females that get arrested. He'll hire men with NO law enforcement or military experience that are old & ALSO put them through the academy instead of hiring a female with law enforcement experience.
He's a pig. His son deserves NOTHING special. If you break the law you are & should be intitled to the same treatment as anyone else. No one, not even the Chief himself should be pampered or allowed special treatment or given the right to break the law. He needs to grow a set & quit letting Mommy & Daddy wipe his a$$ for him!

So tell us how you really feel.