PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Lauderdale Police Chief Resigns

05-29-2008, 12:13 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/466/story/549913.html

05-29-2008, 12:33 AM
chupy, let me know when ours does???

05-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Gerald needs to man up and go out with some class and be a man not a mental midget.

05-30-2008, 08:50 PM
--All MDSPD's people with balls left! so sad!------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW THATS A MAN WHO HAS BALLS AND WATCHES OUT FOR HIS PEOPLE...HE DID IT IN STYLE.....

Police Chief Bruce Roberts abruptly quit this afternoon, leaving the largest municipal police department in Broward County without a leader and in the middle of a staffing crisis.

Roberts, who first was hired in 1973 and worked his way to chief, issued a scathing letter of resignation, accusing City Manager George Gretsas of ruling by "micromanagement and intimidation'' (sounds like Chubby Checkers)under a "suffocating atmosphere demanding personal allegiance.''

In a strong departure from his usual staid approach to city politics, Roberts says city management wanted police union officials to be punished for their comments during a year of contract negotiations.

The police contract was ratified Tuesday by city commissioners. The police union members refused to vote on it, except to give it the one ballot necessary to head to the City Commission.

Roberts cited gains the department made over the years and said, "I do not believe we can sustain this momentum.''

"Having just endured painstakingly long police contract negotiations, there is now a demand for retribution and punishment of the union leadership," Roberts' letter said.

"Furthermore, unless command staff recants eomtional statements made by the union president during negotiations, future command promotions will be prohibited.''

Roberts also says that "a request for valuable safety equpiement is intentionally being delayed.''

"I cannot stand idly by while the safety of a community is at stake, and I will not participate in the dismantling of the community's police department. In effect, I have been constructively terminated. Therefore, this letter is to inform you that I am resigning ... "

Well said by a real Chief with balls, speaking of no balls,

Your next Gerald, you are my prize picking in Clewston, Florida, or wherever you and your boys Clyde and Leroy go.