PDA

View Full Version : Employee Assistance available?

05-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is assistance available for sworn personell who have issues with dealing with job stress?

And if you go to them for issues will they end up ratting you out?

Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.

05-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is assistance available for sworn personell who have issues with dealing with job stress?

And if you go to them for issues will they end up ratting you out?

Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.

Yes there is. Call the # on your insurance card and ask for an EAP referral and they will give you names and numbers of people you can talk to. They will not "RAT" you out and can't based on confidentiality. I have used them before and although it took a few changes to find one I liked, it worked out very good and was helpful. One that does not know you and can be objective is the best, and from my history, the same sex is better. A man does not understand a woman's emotions , vice versa. If you are thinking of this, you have to be open with yourself and the counselor. If you aren't, there is no point. You will get some forms to fill out, questions per say, that give them insight on you and then you discuss it. Sounds crazy, but alot comes out that you would not normally share with others that know you. You pay the co pay per visit and that is it, no report goes back to the department. If you are thinking you need it, then you do - it is just up to you to take that step and ask for it and seek it. I wish you the best - it worked for me.

05-27-2008, 11:31 PM
The above post is an excellent idea. However your insurance carrier probably wont be able to help you with inner department issues like maybe geting you a new shift or, geting you away from some sgt who you cant work with. If you need inside the department help they have an emplyee assistance deputy. His name is Warren "Skip" Reasoner. He will assure confidentiality. If you dont believe him make him put it in writing. Skip is one of the most level headed, profesional officers I have met in 24 years of police work. He spent days in Pahokee helping the guys involved in the 2 tragic deaths out west. I dont want to post his number on a public site but you could E-mail him or get a message to him through the traffic office. Good luck. Plenty of guys have needed somebody to talk to, and worked it out without ruining a career.....

05-28-2008, 01:49 AM
HR has pamphlets that list the services EAP provides.

05-28-2008, 03:31 AM
For the original poster.........If you, or someone else, is in need of some help/advice, I wish you the very best. "Skip" Reasoner is a real good guy, and there are other resources within the agency as well that will remain completely confidential. Having been a peer counselor for the past 14 years, I wish others took the same initiative to reach out and ask questions in time of need. Take care of yourself and/or whoever you might be trying to help.