PDA

View Full Version : OFFICER SHOT

05-25-2008, 06:58 PM
NORTH MIAMI BEACH - An officer was shot while police were pursuing a robbery suspect around noon on Sunday.

The shot police officer – believed to be a Miami-Dade cop -- was flown by helicopter to Jackson Memorial Hospital after the emergency aircraft landed at nearby JFK Middle School to pick him up. It was not immediately known what the officer's medical condition was.

Residents in the neighborhood said a robbery suspect may have been shot in the exchange of gunfire with police.

A SWAT team has been called and police have cordoned off a three- to four-block area around Northeast 10th Avenue and 169th Terrace.

Residents in apartments and homes in that area are not being allowed to return home.

Residents said they heard two or three shots initially, then a volley of 10 or more shots.

Daimein Standback, 25, said he was returning from shopping at a nearby Walgreens when he and a friend heard the shots.

"All I could see was sparks," Standback said. "We were standing right (there) trying to dodge gunfire."

Marc Levasseur, 52, said he heard the gunshots, too, and "saw the police running for cover."

"That's scary, I have my two boys here," he said as he pointed to his children.