PDA

View Full Version : Great Job PBA, Once Again

05-21-2008, 03:45 AM
Broward County presses sheriff for deeper budget cuts

Deeper cuts in police and fire protection are on the horizon after Broward County commissioners Tuesday demanded more help from Sheriff Al Lamberti in providing cuts to accommodate property tax relief.

In the opening round of what could be lengthy and heated negotiations, Lamberti offered to cut his spending by $14.2 million, less than half the amount commissioners have sought. Those cuts include closing a leadership program for at-risk youth and cutting in half programs to ensure those in jail do not return to a life of crime.

Lamberti and commissioners struck a conciliatory tone in the 21/2-hour meeting, a departure from recent comments about a standoff that would result in an appeal to Gov. Charlie Crist and the state Cabinet to resolve the dispute. Lamberti, though, said more cuts would require elimination of law enforcement and fire protection programs.

"In good times, we developed programs to address problems, and if we now eliminate the program, that doesn't mean the problem is going to go away," Lamberti said.

Related links

Other action by the Broward County Commission

Commissioners told Lamberti he should craft levels of cuts to discuss with them so they could then weigh those ideas against slashing other county services. They must cut spending $100 million because of tax relief voters approved in January, and the Broward Sheriff's Office represents about half of county government's $1.3 billion general operations.

Eliminating some of the deputies stationed at schools or requiring the School Board and cities to pay more of the cost was among the suggestions that commissioners offered Lamberti. They also proposed not buying new patrol cars this year.

"There are nice-to-haves and there are need-to-haves, and I'm in a need-to-have mode," Commissioner Ilene Lieberman said.

Another area that commissioners want Lamberti to review is whether the 14 cities that contract with him for police and fire services pay as much as they should. An audit released last week shows county taxpayers subsidized $21 million of that cost.

The largest share of the cuts Lamberti proposed would come from the administration of the 6,000-employee agency. The overhead would be cut $4.9 million, while $4.8 million would be shaved from jail operations, $1.7 million from fire-rescue and $2.8 million from law enforcement.

The sheriff would eliminate 105 jobs, but there would be no layoffs. Most are vacant positions; other jobs would be lost through future attrition.

Lamberti said he tried in his budget to balance law enforcement needs with the required property tax relief.

He noted the 12 months between November 2006 and November 2007 was the deadliest period in the history of the agency. He cautioned against cutting law enforcement during the economic downturn.

Lamberti said crime usually increases in such circumstances, noting the April 24 standoff at a Pompano Beach condo that ended in a SWAT team shooting and killing a man who had taken two hostages. A note the man left cited financial problems as his motive.

"In desperate times, desperate people do desperate things," he said.

Although commissioners are looking for more cuts, they also learned there are costs not included in the sheriff's spending plan.

They may have to find up to $1.7 million more to provide fire-rescue services along the section of Alligator Alley near Weston. And their financial advisers said they must find $22.6 million a year to pay for post-employment benefits for Sheriff's Office workers.

Commissioners want the sheriff to share more equally in spending cuts because they are also looking at cutting library and park hours and eliminating long-standing social service programs. Still, some of them said dollar-for-dollar cuts might not be reasonable.

"I would venture to say every resident believes health and safety are No. 1 in their books and where they least want us to cut," Commissioner Diana Wasserman-Rubin said.

05-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Broward County presses sheriff for deeper budget cuts

Deeper cuts in police and fire protection are on the horizon after Broward County commissioners Tuesday demanded more help from Sheriff Al Lamberti in providing cuts to accommodate property tax relief.

In the opening round of what could be lengthy and heated negotiations, Lamberti offered to cut his spending by $14.2 million, less than half the amount commissioners have sought. Those cuts include closing a leadership program for at-risk youth and cutting in half programs to ensure those in jail do not return to a life of crime.

Lamberti and commissioners struck a conciliatory tone in the 21/2-hour meeting, a departure from recent comments about a standoff that would result in an appeal to Gov. Charlie Crist and the state Cabinet to resolve the dispute. Lamberti, though, said more cuts would require elimination of law enforcement and fire protection programs.

"In good times, we developed programs to address problems, and if we now eliminate the program, that doesn't mean the problem is going to go away," Lamberti said.

Related links

Other action by the Broward County Commission

Commissioners told Lamberti he should craft levels of cuts to discuss with them so they could then weigh those ideas against slashing other county services. They must cut spending $100 million because of tax relief voters approved in January, and the Broward Sheriff's Office represents about half of county government's $1.3 billion general operations.

Eliminating some of the deputies stationed at schools or requiring the School Board and cities to pay more of the cost was among the suggestions that commissioners offered Lamberti. They also proposed not buying new patrol cars this year.

"There are nice-to-haves and there are need-to-haves, and I'm in a need-to-have mode," Commissioner Ilene Lieberman said.

Another area that commissioners want Lamberti to review is whether the 14 cities that contract with him for police and fire services pay as much as they should. An audit released last week shows county taxpayers subsidized $21 million of that cost.

The largest share of the cuts Lamberti proposed would come from the administration of the 6,000-employee agency. The overhead would be cut $4.9 million, while $4.8 million would be shaved from jail operations, $1.7 million from fire-rescue and $2.8 million from law enforcement.

The sheriff would eliminate 105 jobs, but there would be no layoffs. Most are vacant positions; other jobs would be lost through future attrition.

Lamberti said he tried in his budget to balance law enforcement needs with the required property tax relief.

He noted the 12 months between November 2006 and November 2007 was the deadliest period in the history of the agency. He cautioned against cutting law enforcement during the economic downturn.

Lamberti said crime usually increases in such circumstances, noting the April 24 standoff at a Pompano Beach condo that ended in a SWAT team shooting and killing a man who had taken two hostages. A note the man left cited financial problems as his motive.

"In desperate times, desperate people do desperate things," he said.

Although commissioners are looking for more cuts, they also learned there are costs not included in the sheriff's spending plan.

They may have to find up to $1.7 million more to provide fire-rescue services along the section of Alligator Alley near Weston. And their financial advisers said they must find $22.6 million a year to pay for post-employment benefits for Sheriff's Office workers.

Commissioners want the sheriff to share more equally in spending cuts because they are also looking at cutting library and park hours and eliminating long-standing social service programs. Still, some of them said dollar-for-dollar cuts might not be reasonable.

"I would venture to say every resident believes health and safety are No. 1 in their books and where they least want us to cut," Commissioner Diana Wasserman-Rubin said.
How about shaving off the County Commissioner's budget. No more around the world trips that "promote Broward County."

05-21-2008, 04:27 AM
I hope the PBA is proud of themselves. I guess their lies have come to light. I thought that great "economist" said the Sheriff could subsidize city's as matter of fact he said the Sheriff could do whatever he wanted with BSO's Money.

Well this article tells a different story. Now the PBA has talked everyone into voting down this contract, by providing false information, and things only look like they may get worse.

If we lose our retirement medical benefits, takehome cars, or increase our health insurance contributions, that would be be the icing on the cake.

F--k the PBA, Bailen, Diperna, and the rest of the fools on the PBA board.

I must be missing something, the County Commission is not and cannot tell the Sheriff who is a Constitutional Officer how to spend his budget. They made suggestion of what they would like to see be cut but dont have the authority to institute the cuts. The Sheriff offered to cut $14.2 Million which by the way is less then half of what he gave back last year. If the County Commision is not willing to accept that cut then the GOVERNOR not the County Commission has the final say. Lets see the Sheriff will be appealing his budget from the DEMOCRATIC County Commision to the Republican Governor, hmmm I wonder how thats going to go!!!! By the way Sheriff Lamberti gave back $33 Million last year:
If he gives back $14.2 Million and gave us our requested raise $2.3 Million that would total $14.5 Million. Subtract that from $33 Million and you still have $18.5 Million left over. That still leaves more then enough money for the Sheriff to hire at least another 20 of his buddies and make them Majors and above. Did I mention my favorite part of that article where it says that Sheriff Lamberti is subsidizing $21 Million to the Contract Cities, you know what he said he couldnt do. Good old honest AL!!!

05-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Keep on slanting things to make your point. Jenne negotiated the contracts with the cities. BSO has to honor those contacts untill its over. The Sheriff has every plans on raising the cost. If you heard what the Sheriff said at one of his meetings, it pretty much mirrored what the Commisson said about the cities. On top of that the cities allowed a 3 percent raise for the contract deputies. Not 5 percent. The Sheriff also told us he is trying to get the cities to ammend the contracts to allow more of a raise. Oh but the PBA never put that out did they.

05-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Let's consider the article in the Sun Sentinel. When the Sheriff stated that he was not permitted to use County money to fund the City employees that was a big fib.

Read the article the County is complaining that he is already using County money to subsidize the Cities as we speak and they can't stop him for doing it because he is a Constitutional Officer.

Who's telling the truth? If he is already using County funds then why can't he keep doing it with just a little more for raises?

I'm confused..............

I support Al Lamberti for Sheriff but he needs some new advisors.

05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
The Broward County Commission is making Al Lamberti their financial sacrificial lamb because he replaced their Democratic felon friend Ken Jenne. The BSO DLE Deputies are helping the commission by turning down their 3rd contract offer from Sheriff Al Lamberti in a row. The DLE Deputies don't care about their Sheriff or anybody else at BSO other than themselves. This group cried for years because a lawyer /politician was their Sheriff. Now that one of their own is the Sheriff, they are too selfish to back him and work with his budget. These whiners are just like lawyers, but without the education. They don't care about anyone other than themselves. Deputies, when your free cars, free pensions, cheap health care and other benefits either go away or are priced through the roof, don't expect Sheriff Al Lamberti to fight for you and hold your hands. What goes around comes around. The actions of the DLE Deputies is a disgrace. Budget cuts are here and they are real. Get a grip on basic economics people!

05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
The Broward County Commission is making Al Lamberti their financial sacrificial lamb because he replaced their Democratic felon friend Ken Jenne. The BSO DLE Deputies are helping the commission by turning down their 3rd contract offer from Sheriff Al Lamberti in a row. The DLE Deputies don't care about their Sheriff or anybody else at BSO other than themselves. This group cried for years because a lawyer /politician was their Sheriff. Now that one of their own is the Sheriff, they are too selfish to back him and work with his budget. These whiners are just like lawyers, but without the education. They don't care about anyone other than themselves. Deputies, when your free cars, free pensions, cheap health care and other benefits either go away or are priced through the roof, don't expect Sheriff Al Lamberti to fight for you and hold your hands. What goes around comes around. The actions of the DLE Deputies is a disgrace. Budget cuts are here and they are real. Get a grip on basic economics people!

Excellent....well said! Grow up people!!!!!

05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
The Broward County Commission is making Al Lamberti their financial sacrificial lamb because he replaced their Democratic felon friend Ken Jenne. The BSO DLE Deputies are helping the commission by turning down their 3rd contract offer from Sheriff Al Lamberti in a row. The DLE Deputies don't care about their Sheriff or anybody else at BSO other than themselves. This group cried for years because a lawyer /politician was their Sheriff. Now that one of their own is the Sheriff, they are too selfish to back him and work with his budget. These whiners are just like lawyers, but without the education. They don't care about anyone other than themselves. Deputies, when your free cars, free pensions, cheap health care and other benefits either go away or are priced through the roof, don't expect Sheriff Al Lamberti to fight for you and hold your hands. What goes around comes around. The actions of the DLE Deputies is a disgrace. Budget cuts are here and they are real. Get a grip on basic economics people!I am a deputy with BSO and I gather by your post you are not. However, I have to admit you nailed it on the head. The only problem I have with your post is that you included all deputies and this is not true. A little over 400 of us voted "YES" for the contract and we were well out numbered by a little over 800 that voted "NO". Basically...2 to 1. The problem here is that the majority of the department is young and the department in a whole has been mismanaged and cheated out of money by top cops from other jurisdictions and politicians. Deputies with tenure are tired of this and rookie deputies do not know enough. We are in need of someone within that came up through the ranks. An, Lamberti is the one. Unfortunately, Sheriff Lamberti is getting the brunt of it and his hands are tied. Lamberti is holding Jenne's left overs (budget) and mishaps, poor decisions, political favors, shortcomings and unwarranted promotions of unqualified personnel. And to add, Lamberti has to run a strong campaign for the upcoming election. Sounds like Lamberti's plate is full. Lamberti has to make all of the right moves and that is very difficult to do when everything that was handed to you from a felonious sheriff is not yours. Jenne allocated everything and left peanuts for us. Don't you guys get it. Has anyone read the recent articles in reference to Jenne's spending and misallocation of monies to benefit himself. Jenne gave sweetheart deals to cities who contracted BSO and he did it with county money. And he did it to make more money for hilself and to get more cities to contract BSO to make him more powerful. Is that ethical? Now, Lamberti wants to straighten this mess out with all of the contract cities, but he can't do a thing till their contracts expire. And Pompano Beach is looking to start their own PD again because they see Lamberti making them pay their fair share. The Pompano contract is up next year and I would love to see what happens. I bet they will be given a fair package from Lamberti in which they will have to pay their share not subsidized by Lamberti with county money like Jenne did. So, when Lamberti tells you he doesn't have the money...he means he doesn't have the money. Would you like him to continue the unethical practices of past sheriffs? I wouldn't. We all knew what this job was about when we took it, what it paid and the risks involved. If you didn't, shame on you. If you found out after employment and remained here to become disgruntled and a pimple on everyones arse, then shame on you again and you get what you deserve for your own stupidity. And to top it off we have New Yorks finest from NYPD instigating this "NO" vote to the contract. Sounds like the "NO" voters need to do some of their own homework and look into the backgrounds of those spearheading this "NO" vote and read the writing on the wall. It is very interesting!

05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Let's consider the article in the Sun Sentinel. When the Sheriff stated that he was not permitted to use County money to fund the City employees that was a big fib.

Read the article the County is complaining that he is already using County money to subsidize the Cities as we speak and they can't stop him for doing it because he is a Constitutional Officer.

Who's telling the truth? If he is already using County funds then why can't he keep doing it with just a little more for raises?

I'm confused..............

I support Al Lamberti for Sheriff but he needs some new advisors.

Read the full article, not only part of it everyone. Then you will see this guy is going to start another Rodney King situation by not telling the whole truth. First of all, the County Auditors advised that State Law Prohibits the County from Subsidizing a specific community (contract city). The office has been doing it, but it will stop, or the Commission will sue the Sheriff because of it. These actions were started under Jenne and have not been fixed yet.

So the truth is COUNTY MONEY CANNOT SUBSIDIZE CONTRACT CITIES.

05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
I hope the PBA is proud of themselves. I guess their lies have come to light. I thought that great "economist" said the Sheriff could subsidize city's as matter of fact he said the Sheriff could do whatever he wanted with BSO's Money.

Well this article tells a different story. Now the PBA has talked everyone into voting down this contract, by providing false information, and things only look like they may get worse.

If we lose our retirement medical benefits, takehome cars, or increase our health insurance contributions, that would be be the icing on the cake.

F--k the PBA, Bailen, Diperna, and the rest of the fools on the PBA board.

I must be missing something, the County Commission is not and cannot tell the Sheriff who is a Constitutional Officer how to spend his budget. They made suggestion of what they would like to see be cut but dont have the authority to institute the cuts. The Sheriff offered to cut $14.2 Million which by the way is less then half of what he gave back last year. If the County Commision is not willing to accept that cut then the GOVERNOR not the County Commission has the final say. Lets see the Sheriff will be appealing his budget from the DEMOCRATIC County Commision to the Republican Governor, hmmm I wonder how thats going to go!!!! By the way Sheriff Lamberti gave back $33 Million last year:
If he gives back $14.2 Million and gave us our requested raise $2.3 Million that would total $14.5 Million. Subtract that from $33 Million and you still have $18.5 Million left over. That still leaves more then enough money for the Sheriff to hire at least another 20 of his buddies and make them Majors and above. Did I mention my favorite part of that article where it says that Sheriff Lamberti is subsidizing $21 Million to the Contract Cities, you know what he said he couldnt do. Good old honest AL!!!

WOULD YOU PEOPLE STOP SAYING LAMBERTI GAVE BACK MONEY....The last to give back that money was your good ol Sheriff that 'yall miss....JENNE. Lamberti has NOT given money back...yet. Get that right please. I would like to see lots of the perks at the jail for inmates to be cut. NO MORE CABLE. See what the Sheriff in Maricopa County has done there to save millions of dollars.

05-21-2008, 02:43 PM

When was the last time you put your filthy a/s/s on the line for someone? How many people in your job (that is if you have one) have been killed doing their jobs? How many hurricanes have you left your wife and kids to fend themselves why you are out trying to control the idiots out in the street when they should be home at 3 a.m.? How many times have you jumped in a situation knowing you're going to get hurt just to save a sorry a/s/s like yours? THESE DEPUTIES DO IT EVERYDAY. They chose that profession, because they wanted to make people's life better, and MAKE A DIFFERENCE. For putting their lives on the line buddy, a raise is the least we can give them. A 3% raise is NOTHING COMPARE TO WHAT THEY DO EVERYDAY TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. Try to walk in their shoes for one evening and see. I thank these guys and gals everyday for being out there for me 24/7 hurricanes or not, rain or sun. THANK YOU BSO DEPUTIES, from a Pompano Beach resident that truly appreciates YOU. THANK YOU FOR PUTTING YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE FOR ME AND MY FAMILY. THANK YOU FOR BEING OUT THERE DURING THE HURRICANES, WHILE I'M NICE AND DRY IN MY OWN HOME. THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING THE BUSINESSES FROM LOOTING. THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU - THE BRAVE ONES.

05-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Excellent post. The kind of words that makes the job worthwhile. Thank you.

05-21-2008, 03:02 PM

You must be one of those hard working, kool aid drinking, knee pad wearing a$$ kissers! Deputies are better then lawyers, more honorable and willing to put their lives on the line everyday!! Now why did the contract get voted down, because it was not fair. Plain and simple if he had offered a fair contract that would have compensated the deputies and allowed them to keep up with inflation it would have passed. The sheriff can cut his budget rather quickly if he would get rid of the command staff, and all the useless civilians with take home cars. Look at what some of the civilians make, more than a deputy and they do less.

05-21-2008, 04:09 PM
I want to thank that citizen for being appreciative of the job we do. It's not like the deputies are asking for tons of money, gold, government bonds, crude oil, and diamonds. Just a raise to marginally offset the quickly rising cost of living. We have take home cars, but we don't go to church, Winn-Dixie, abuela's house, etc, in them. We have our own vehicles that guzzle gas, which we all know is over 4 bucks a gallon. We need to feed our families and if you've been to the store lately, you know everything has become way more expensive. Look at milk, for Pete's sake. We've had to cut things out of our lives and our kid's lives because we're just not able to keep up with the times. I understand there are civilians that are also going through this, but most of them work 9-5, Saturday and Sunday off, and they just mess around on YouTube all day long while they're working. Not exactly as dangerous as keeping South Florida safe, which over the last few years, has been a LOSING battle. How is the morale supposed to be good for public safety personnel when they are broke, watching their partners die, and being unjustly punished? All this while the criminals are running rampant out there. They don't worry about the economy because they just rob and steal everything and sell drugs to our kids. Management sits up there with HUGE salaries and I can't be mad at them, they once made peanuts, too. They did what my partners and I once did. My question is, how can they just watch us suffer, having gone through what we went through? Letrell Sprewell, the basketball player, once rejected a contract worth tens of millions of dollars because he had "kids to feed." We rejected 3% because we have kids to feed. We wanted 5% simply because it's more than 3%. Nothing out of this world, just a little more to ease the burden of the cost of living. I support Lamberti and I support the changes he wants to make to this agency, but, we absolutely, positively deserve more than 3%. I keep hearing about the benefits we do get and how they offset or enhance our pay. I haven't heard how we basically have no more details and alot of OT has dried up. Now, if that was still around, sure, 3% looks good. But, that's gone. It's not being selfish. Being selfish would be getting paid for doing JACK SQUAT. Which is 3/4 of the people in the PSB. 2.2 mil to give us 5%. Cut 20 do-nothing in that building and you save 10 mil. Again, I support Lamberti, but we do need more than 3%. If I don't get anything, I'm still BSO through and through. I'm still backing up my partners and doing my job to the best of my ability. But, like Billie Jean said, Fair is Fair!

05-21-2008, 04:27 PM

Maybe if we have received more that just 3% a year for the past 10 years, we might be able to afford to say yes this time.

BUT WE"VE ONLY GOTTEN 3% A YEAR WHEN THE COUNTY WAS RAKING IN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! Where were our raises then? I voted no to the 3% contracts back then and I voted no this time as well. Even living very modestly, I work six days a week to provide for my family. My kids ask all the time when the neighbors take their kids to Disney or where ever, "Why can't we go?" It's not easy telling them why but I have to. I know 2% more a year isn't a lot but It’s a start and will help. The cost of living has been hovering between 4 to 5 % for more than two years now.

Get your facts straight. If we cried for years because a politician/lawyer was our Sheriff, it was because he was a Politician and not a SHERIFF. Law Enforcement is based on: Integrity, Honesty, Honor and Professionalism, just to name a few. Everyone knows Politicians have no integrity and are less than honest. We saw it from the inside and now everyone sees it as he's now a Convicted FEDERAL FELON. This is only the first contract from Lamberti that we've voted down, the others never made it back to the membership for a vote.

I wish our Sheriff wasn't in this position but he is. There were things he could have done to prevent this but he didn't. He could have told us what was going on in his budget from the beginning and asked for us to work with him, but he didn't. He's the best candidate. I hope we'll be able to work with him in the future.

05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
South Dep makes one of the best arguments yet. We believe 5% is not only fair but necessary for our families. We are going BACKWARDS people. Last year we had $33 million left over AFTER making up a $21 million shortfall in the contract cities. Forget about the County Commission ordering budget cuts. If the Sheriff were to better manage his budget, a 5% COLA would be a no brainer. How about demanding the School Board actually pay for the SRDs. What a novel idea!