PDA

View Full Version : soon

05-20-2008, 03:09 AM
I am looking forward to retiring from FHP in 25. Making a little over $36. seventy five percent of that is $27,000 a year! Take the $12,000 for the insurance and I can now enjoy a rich retirment of $15,000 a year! I hope the aplicants keep signing up because I have stopped drinking the Kool Aide!! Oh by the way make sure you write some seat belts!

05-20-2008, 09:03 AM
I am looking forward to retiring from FHP in 25. Making a little over $36. seventy five percent of that is $27,000 a year! Take the $12,000 for the insurance and I can now enjoy a rich retirment of $15,000 a year! I hope the aplicants keep signing up because I have stopped drinking the Kool Aide!! Oh by the way make sure you write some seat belts!

The premium for the insurance is set by the state, not the insurance company. I'm sure it will increase over the next 10 year's. The rich retirement you speak of could be less than $15,000.

05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Here is what is scary about the low pay at FHP. Say you are lucky enough to promote to the rank of Lt, which would put your salary around $50,000. 80% of $50,000 is $40,000 or $3333 a month. Subtract the $750 a month for insurance and you will have a GROSS pay check of $2583 a month, which is a tad more than I gross now as a trooper.

So, for your 25 years at FHP and promoting twice you are rewarded with a wonderful $2500 a month in retirement. Can you say door greater at Wal-Mart?

05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Isn't it calculated based on your top 3 years including overtime?

05-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Yes, but using the LT analogy they don't get OT and their SOAR doesn't count towards retirement. Kind of like hireback for Sgt. and below.\

When you look at this place from a retirement aspect you can see how truly sorry the state is. Forget "retirement" once you leave here you will have to start your second career just to survive, or go without insurance, in which case you will have to start a second career to have insurance. This outfit is a no win situation. GET OUT NOW!!! or convert to the IP and hope you can ride the market into retirement. :lol:

05-20-2008, 01:30 PM

TOP 5 YEARS

05-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Oh okay, top 5 years including overtime and off duty. The OP said "Making a little over $36. seventy five percent of that is $27,000 a year!" so he's doing something wrong if his avg. top 5 years with OT/OD is 36k

05-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh okay, top 5 years including overtime and off duty. The OP said "Making a little over $36. seventy five percent of that is $27,000 a year!" so he's doing something wrong if his avg. top 5 years with OT/OD is 36k

Where do you get off duty from? Are you talking about SOAR? The only OT that counts toward your retirement, or high 5, is regular/incidental/court and SOAR. Hireback does not count and neither does 208.

05-20-2008, 02:11 PM

You are missing the point dude. We shouldn't have to be scamming OT and maxing out SOAR to have a livable retirement check.

05-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Work yourself to death the last five and you can become a statistic and die within seven years of retirement. Thats what the state wants after all. Less $$ they have to pay out when you croak.

05-21-2008, 04:15 AM
i pulled my app

05-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Here is what is scary about the low pay at FHP. Say you are lucky enough to promote to the rank of Lt, which would put your salary around $50,000. 80% of $50,000 is $40,000 or $3333 a month. Subtract the $750 a month for insurance and you will have a GROSS pay check of $2583 a month, which is a tad more than I gross now as a trooper.

So, for your 25 years at FHP and promoting twice you are rewarded with a wonderful $2500 a month in retirement. Can you say door greater at Wal-Mart?

I am a Sgt. with more than 20 years on, actually closer to 25 than 20. A little less than 4 years ago the FRS sent me my yearly statement with my projected retirement benefit. It was $2800 a month for option 2 I think. That is where your spouse gets a check for 10 years after you die. Take out the insurance and that leaves $2000. Who can live on that? Not me.
Thats when I decided to switch to the Investment Plan. So far I have more than doubled my money even in this volatile market and the FRS forecasts I have a 90% chance of reaching my retirement goal of 50k. I also have Deferred Comp and a Roth. I figured I was going to have to continue to work anyway so to me it was an acceptable risk. I guess the market could crash tomorrow but like I said I was going to have to work anyway....
A sad but true story. Anyone that reads this should take heed as this is what you are looking at down the road. I wish I had been smart enough to leave a long time ago instead of waiting til next year and guess what? Next year still hasn't come.
So I say switch over what do you have to lose?
Below is a cut and paste from my FRS page.

Your Retirement Outlook at Age 56 As of 5/21/08 at 8:46 EDT Refresh
Current Estimates

Forecast Retirement Forecast
Chance your investments and benefits will provide $50,000 or more per year. More...

Retirement Income Retirement Income
Estimated annual income you may have at age 56. More...
$89,600.00
Upside - excellent performance*
$63,800.00
Median - average performance
$45,800.00
Downside - poor performance*

You're on Track
Explore Changes

Your Goals
Edit
Desired Goal $50,000
Minimum Goal $40,000
Retirement Age 56

Get Quarterly Forecast
Updates by Email
*There is a 5% chance that you'll have less than the downside amount and a 5% chance that you'll have more than the upside amount. Amounts shown in pre-tax dollars and have been adjusted for inflation.
Limitations and Assumptions

05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Better yet, leave now or do not apply.

05-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Just to give you a little incentive to get out of FHP, I have posted my projected retirement estimate which is only based on the years that I have worked so far with the pension option. The first estimate is if I left at 25.5 years and the second is if I left at 33.67 years. I did two years at FHP and that was enough time to see what was going on, I left several years ago and went to an S.O., where I still am today. I urge you to compare your numbers and see where you will be at the same time frame of 25.5 and 33.67 years. If you are doing better than this God Bless you, if not think long and hard before you wait for "next year". Lsten to your fellow FHP Sergeant above and get out of there while you can so that you too one day can retire and enjoy your life.

Average Final Compensation (AFC): 97,018.38
Accrued Percentage: 76.50
Normal Annual Benefit: 74,219.06

Option 1 - 6,184.92 a month
Option 2 - 6,126.35 a month

Age Projected Estimate:

Assuming you are continuously employed in your current plan until you reach normal retirement age of 55 and your current AFC increases 3% per year, your monthly benefit based on 33.67 years of creditable service and retirement effective 9/1/2023, would be:

Normal Annual Benefit: 133,545.96

Option 1 $11,128.83 a month
Option 2 $10,900.47 a month

05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Just to give you a little incentive to get out of FHP, I have posted my projected retirement estimate which is only based on the years that I have worked so far with the pension option. The first estimate is if I left at 25.5 years and the second is if I left at 33.67 years. I did two years at FHP and that was enough time to see what was going on, I left several years ago and went to an S.O., where I still am today. I urge you to compare your numbers and see where you will be at the same time frame of 25.5 and 33.67 years. If you are doing better than this God Bless you, if not think long and hard before you wait for "next year". Lsten to your fellow FHP Sergeant above and get out of there while you can so that you too one day can retire and enjoy your life.

Age Projected Estimate:

Assuming you are continuously employed in your current plan until you reach normal retirement age of 55 and your current AFC increases 3% per year, your monthly benefit based on 33.67 years of creditable service and retirement effective 9/1/2023, would be:

YOU FORGOT TO ADD THE DROP AMOUNT YOU WOULD ALSO RECEIVE IF YOU STAYED WITH FRS.

THE INVESTMENT PLAN ABOVE IS GOING TO MAKE THAT GUY RICH. :wink:

05-28-2008, 12:51 PM
[quote="Former FHP Trooper":2fckzwcv]Just to give you a little incentive to get out of FHP, I have posted my projected retirement estimate which is only based on the years that I have worked so far with the pension option. The first estimate is if I left at 25.5 years and the second is if I left at 33.67 years. I did two years at FHP and that was enough time to see what was going on, I left several years ago and went to an S.O., where I still am today. I urge you to compare your numbers and see where you will be at the same time frame of 25.5 and 33.67 years. If you are doing better than this God Bless you, if not think long and hard before you wait for "next year". Lsten to your fellow FHP Sergeant above and get out of there while you can so that you too one day can retire and enjoy your life.

Age Projected Estimate:

YOU FORGOT TO ADD THE DROP AMOUNT YOU WOULD ALSO RECEIVE IF YOU STAYED WITH FRS.

THE INVESTMENT PLAN ABOVE IS GOING TO MAKE THAT GUY RICH. :wink:[/quote:2fckzwcv]

I don't know about being rich, but the point is you will never get anywhere close to that at FHP unless you promote to CZ's spot, even then I am not sure. If you want to retire and be able to live, you need to move to another agency and you should not waste anymore of your time waiting for "next year".

05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
[quote="Former FHP Trooper":7syfnzz5]Just to give you a little incentive to get out of FHP, I have posted my projected retirement estimate which is only based on the years that I have worked so far with the pension option. The first estimate is if I left at 25.5 years and the second is if I left at 33.67 years. I did two years at FHP and that was enough time to see what was going on, I left several years ago and went to an S.O., where I still am today. I urge you to compare your numbers and see where you will be at the same time frame of 25.5 and 33.67 years. If you are doing better than this God Bless you, if not think long and hard before you wait for "next year". Lsten to your fellow FHP Sergeant above and get out of there while you can so that you too one day can retire and enjoy your life.

Age Projected Estimate:

THE INVESTMENT PLAN ABOVE IS GOING TO MAKE THAT GUY RICH. :wink:

I don't know about being rich, but the point is you will never get anywhere close to that at FHP unless you promote to CZ's spot, even then I am not sure. If you want to retire and be able to live, you need to move to another agency and you should not waste anymore of your time waiting for "next year".[/quote:7syfnzz5]

I'VE BEEN DOING THIS JOB FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND FOUND THAT LIVING WITHIN MY MEANS, WORKING A LITTLE SOAR HERE AND THERE, AND OFF DUTY MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH FOR THE HOLIDAYS HAS BEEN GOOD. I TURNED DOWN PROMOTIONS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SELL MY HOUSE EVERY TWO OR THREE YEARS, MOVE MY FAMILY AROUND THE STATE FOR A MEASLY 10% TO 15% PAY RAISE, AND BECOME ONE OF THE CURRENT BABY SITTERS WHO ARE ALSO DROPPING LIKE FLIES AROUND HERE LATELY. I GOT MOST OF MY STEPS AND LOOK FORWARD TO RETIREING AT 52 YEARS OF AGE AFTER 30 YEARS. NO MATTER WHAT AGENCY YOU GO WITH, NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO IN THIS ENTIRE COUNTRY IN LAW ENFORCEMENT YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH. YOU GOTTA FIND A DEPARTMENT THAT YOU LIKE. THE GRASS AIN'T ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE ASK ANYONE WHO QUIT FHP AND CAME BACK. I'VE WORKED FOR OTHER PD'S AND THEY HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WE HAVE. JUST BE HAPPY WIT WHAT YOU GOT BROTHER!! :D

05-29-2008, 08:28 PM
[/quote]
I'VE BEEN DOING THIS JOB FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND FOUND THAT LIVING WITHIN MY MEANS, WORKING A LITTLE SOAR HERE AND THERE, AND OFF DUTY MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH FOR THE HOLIDAYS HAS BEEN GOOD. I TURNED DOWN PROMOTIONS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SELL MY HOUSE EVERY TWO OR THREE YEARS, MOVE MY FAMILY AROUND THE STATE FOR A MEASLY 10% TO 15% PAY RAISE, AND BECOME ONE OF THE CURRENT BABY SITTERS WHO ARE ALSO DROPPING LIKE FLIES AROUND HERE LATELY. I GOT MOST OF MY STEPS AND LOOK FORWARD TO RETIREING AT 52 YEARS OF AGE AFTER 30 YEARS. NO MATTER WHAT AGENCY YOU GO WITH, NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO IN THIS ENTIRE COUNTRY IN LAW ENFORCEMENT YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH. YOU GOTTA FIND A DEPARTMENT THAT YOU LIKE. THE GRASS AIN'T ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE ASK ANYONE WHO QUIT FHP AND CAME BACK. I'VE WORKED FOR OTHER PD'S AND THEY HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WE HAVE. JUST BE HAPPY WIT WHAT YOU GOT BROTHER!! :D[/quote]

Thats easy for you to say, like you said you got most of your steps. You probably make more than my Sgt. I have never gotten a step.
So, what are we supposed to retire on? $2000 a month before Ins.? You can be happy with what you got while the rest of us have to start our second careers when we "retire" or live in poverty. So hows about you shut your pie hole old man and keep your happiness to yourself :x

05-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I need some step pay SOON or I'm out of here with the rest of them. I've eight years and I'm not stay'n past ten if the pay is not corrected. I know go ahead an quit now! I have my "fillers" out! STEP PLAN PLEASE!

05-30-2008, 02:14 AM
I need some step pay SOON or I'm out of here with the rest of them. I've eight years and I'm not stay'n past ten if the pay is not corrected. I know go ahead an quit now! I have my "fillers" out! STEP PLAN PLEASE!

In all seriousness why are you waiting one more day? After the long history of abuse that has been shoveled onto the backs of every single person who has ever worked at FHP why would you think that “next year” is going to be any different? I mean wake up, when you get to 10 years you will come up with another excuse, “just wait, I am giving them two more years”, then that will come and go and you still be sitting there with your thumb up you’re a$$ waiting for “next year”.

05-30-2008, 02:25 AM
no step plan is wack

05-30-2008, 03:24 AM

Don't listen to these FOOLS.

I heard from a friend of mine in Palm Beach, that he was talking to a guy, who knows some staff, that overheard a senator and another congressional official talking about a letter that was written by a citizen.

Now apparently this citizen had spoken to a member of FL PBA and that member heard from one of his bosses that Gov Crist was looking into it personally.

The word is that next year, it is a done deal :!:

So please just hold on a little while longer, or at least until one of my apps gets through :wink:

05-30-2008, 03:19 PM

I heard from a friend of mine in Palm Beach, that he was talking to a guy, who knows some staff, that overheard a senator and another congressional official talking about a letter that was written by a citizen.

Now apparently this citizen had spoken to a member of FL PBA and that member heard from one of his bosses that Gov Crist was looking into it personally.

So please just hold on a little while longer, or at least until one of my apps gets through :wink:

dude either your joking or you are living in a fantasy world. (with all due respect)

05-31-2008, 02:46 AM

dude either your joking or you are living in a fantasy world. (with all due respect)

DONE DEAL :!: next year

06-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I'VE BEEN DOING THIS JOB FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND FOUND THAT LIVING WITHIN MY MEANS, WORKING A LITTLE SOAR HERE AND THERE, AND OFF DUTY MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH FOR THE HOLIDAYS HAS BEEN GOOD. I TURNED DOWN PROMOTIONS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SELL MY HOUSE EVERY TWO OR THREE YEARS, MOVE MY FAMILY AROUND THE STATE FOR A MEASLY 10% TO 15% PAY RAISE, AND BECOME ONE OF THE CURRENT BABY SITTERS WHO ARE ALSO DROPPING LIKE FLIES AROUND HERE LATELY. I GOT MOST OF MY STEPS AND LOOK FORWARD TO RETIREING AT 52 YEARS OF AGE AFTER 30 YEARS. NO MATTER WHAT AGENCY YOU GO WITH, NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO IN THIS ENTIRE COUNTRY IN LAW ENFORCEMENT YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH. YOU GOTTA FIND A DEPARTMENT THAT YOU LIKE. THE GRASS AIN'T ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE ASK ANYONE WHO QUIT FHP AND CAME BACK. I'VE WORKED FOR OTHER PD'S AND THEY HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WE HAVE. JUST BE HAPPY WIT WHAT YOU GOT BROTHER!! :D[/quote]

Thats easy for you to say, like you said you got most of your steps. You probably make more than my Sgt. I have never gotten a step.
So, what are we supposed to retire on? $2000 a month before Ins.? You can be happy with what you got while the rest of us have to start our second careers when we "retire" or live in poverty. So hows about you shut your pie hole old man and keep your happiness to yourself :x[/quote]

Pie hole.... Old Man!!..... You won't last my rookie piss ant! Quit now and get out of law enforcement while you can still get the retirement you desire in the private sector......ONCE AGAIN YOU CAN"T GET RICH IN LAW ENFORCEMENT !! :wink:

06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Dude, Troopers are not looking to get rich. We just want to be able to live without working 72 hrs a week. We want to have the chance at a decent retirement. My retirement as it stands would be $2124 a month. Do you think that is livable? That is before ins. would be taken out. Hell, the way it is looking most of us will be making entry pay when we retire. The whole patrol will be making entry level with Cpls. 10% above that and on up the line. Good for you that you got some steps and are probably making $55K but he way it stands we will never get there so telling us to live within our means is a ridiculous insult. So I say again take your 55k and shut your piehole :wink:

06-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Dude, Troopers are not looking to get rich. We just want to be able to live without working 72 hrs a week. We want to have the chance at a decent retirement. My retirement as it stands would be $2124 a month. Do you think that is livable? That is before ins. would be taken out. Hell, the way it is looking most of us will be making entry pay when we retire. The whole patrol will be making entry level with Cpls. 10% above that and on up the line. Good for you that you got some steps and are probably making $55K but he way it stands we will never get there so telling us to live within our means is a ridiculous insult. So I say again take your 55k and shut your piehole :wink:
good posting there sir

06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
I'VE BEEN DOING THIS JOB FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND FOUND THAT LIVING WITHIN MY MEANS, WORKING A LITTLE SOAR HERE AND THERE, AND OFF DUTY MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH FOR THE HOLIDAYS HAS BEEN GOOD. I TURNED DOWN PROMOTIONS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SELL MY HOUSE EVERY TWO OR THREE YEARS, MOVE MY FAMILY AROUND THE STATE FOR A MEASLY 10% TO 15% PAY RAISE, AND BECOME ONE OF THE CURRENT BABY SITTERS WHO ARE ALSO DROPPING LIKE FLIES AROUND HERE LATELY. I GOT MOST OF MY STEPS AND LOOK FORWARD TO RETIREING AT 52 YEARS OF AGE AFTER 30 YEARS. NO MATTER WHAT AGENCY YOU GO WITH, NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO IN THIS ENTIRE COUNTRY IN LAW ENFORCEMENT YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH. YOU GOTTA FIND A DEPARTMENT THAT YOU LIKE. THE GRASS AIN'T ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE ASK ANYONE WHO QUIT FHP AND CAME BACK. I'VE WORKED FOR OTHER PD'S AND THEY HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WE HAVE. JUST BE HAPPY WIT WHAT YOU GOT BROTHER!! :D

Let me get this straight. You've been on board 30 years and are 52 years old. So you're saying you started at age 22. Plus you wrote "I've worked for other PD's (PLURAL) and they have the same issues"

Wow so from age 18-22 you worked for PD's (plural) ... You have achieved alot in life my friend.

06-02-2008, 10:03 PM

Let me get this straight. You've been on board 30 years and are 52 years old. So you're saying you started at age 22. Plus you wrote "I've worked for other PD's (PLURAL) and they have the same issues"

Wow so from age 18-22 you worked for PD's (plural) ... You have achieved alot in life my friend.

easy man....

06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
It's entirely possible that he worked a couple of rural agencies in 1976 or 1977, then started FHP in '78.

06-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I worked for a small PD at 19. Then I made the fatal mistake of coming here. Of course at the time it was a pretty good raise, but now I would be making wayyyy more. Sigh..........

06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I worked for a small PD at 19. Then I made the fatal mistake of coming here. Of course at the time it was a pretty good raise, but now I would be making wayyyy more. Sigh..........

WELCOME TO THE CLUB! :D