PDA

View Full Version : Extra Duty

05-15-2008, 01:04 PM
I woke up early on the 10th of May (first day to sign up for June jobs) and what did I see...........................3 hr gig at a bar, 3 hr gig at a bar, 3 hr gig at a bar.

This sucks!!!!!

I surely hope the reserves aren't taking all the jobs.

05-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Kidrock,

Don't you have anything to do but bash the Reserves. They did not take all of your silver spoon extra duty jobs. There was hardly anything posted.

Oh and before you start chewing on me! I am not a Reserve and looked at the board for myself! Weather than get on LEOAFFAIRS and start crap, I inquired with the Extra Duty Office for myself!

05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
It's true the good jobs are very hard to find these days. Seems as though many companies are pulling out. The recent raise in $$$$$ by the city will not help things either. Start writing tickets my friend. It's money in the bank.

05-15-2008, 06:15 PM
I woke up early on the 10th of May (first day to sign up for June jobs) and what did I see...........................3 hr gig at a bar, 3 hr gig at a bar, 3 hr gig at a bar.

I got up late on the 10th of May, had lunch, ran some errands, then went down to 411 in the evening. I saw a lot more than a few three hour bar jobs on the board. If you're so torn up about it, put in a friggin availability list!

05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
I am surely not mocking the reserves as I used to be one, but I do feel officers should get first pick over reserves. I know for a fact there are alot of jobs downtown that are hand selected by reserves.

And I did turn a availability sheet once, but when I was given a job by the OD office, a sgt called and *****ed me out because I took his spot. he told he has been working the job forever. I dont want to step on any toes.

05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
reserve 2 officers mainly work bar jobs that no one else will take

05-15-2008, 10:01 PM
reserve 2 officers mainly work bar jobs that no one else will take

Its the Reserve Ones, they ones that worked here when the policy gave first bids to regular officers.

05-16-2008, 06:20 AM
The problem is not with what is posted on the board. The problem is with what never makes it on the board. I know of at least 10 regular gigs with premo hours that are run by other people than extra duty. Most of them are run by retired reserves and people with special connections. Look at the clothing store on Hillsborough. I stopped in their one day and noticed a crusty old reserve working at the front door. He did not know I was a cop. When asked, he shared with me that he works day shift hours every day of the week. I regularly see jobs available on the mdt that have never been on the board. This stuff is run like the mafia and needs to stop. The main problem is that its a win win for the dept. The dept. gets the pimp fee and never has to worry about paying for man hours to schedule the job.

05-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Above post says it all. The jobs are offered to a select few before they EVER get near to being posted. This is a problem and simply is not fair. How long will the brass let this go on??? Dam.

05-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Here's what happened;

Instead of posting the jobs on a Monday, like they usually do if the 10th falls over the weekend. They posted the jobs on the 9th without telling anyone and did not give out the availbility sheets until the middle of the next week. It must have been one of the new women, because Jeff told me on the phone Firday morning around 0800 that the jobs would be posted on Monday.

05-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Nice try.

The majority of the jobs are given to a select few before ever getting posted. That is FACT.

If this is fair way of doing things, I would have to disagree. Someone needs to step in and take control. Especially if this is going to be a money making machine.

05-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Instead of posting the jobs on a Monday, like they usually do if the 10th falls over the weekend. They posted the jobs on the 9th without telling anyone and did not give out the availbility sheets until the middle of the next week. It must have been one of the new women, because Jeff told me on the phone Firday morning around 0800 that the jobs would be posted on Monday.

Wrong. I was working the night of the 9th and went to the fourth floor to see if any jobs had been posted. The board was outside of the extra duty office and there were only May jobs posted. June jobs didn't get posted on the board or show up on the website until Monday.

Quit spreading lies.

05-17-2008, 03:13 PM
It's not a lie. I too was working Friday night. The jobs were posted on the internet when I logged on and checked at about 5 pm.

I then went to the extra duty office on Saturday night and both boards were there. There was a board for May right next to the extra duty door and a board for June in the hallway opposite the extra duty door.

Look behind you next time.

I even signed up for a job.

05-18-2008, 04:29 AM
None of this deals with my original post about the problem with hand selected jobs. I can pretty much promise you that this problem will never be answered. It's a huge benefit for the city to have jobs run by cops rather than extra duty. These cops are setting up everything for free and the city gets the whole pimp fee with no overhead or at least a very reduces overhead. They don't care who works the gig, they just want the money.

I am very curious to see what our pay is when the pimp fee goes up. We make 38/34 an hour to work bucs games. When the fee goes up are they going to increase the hourly rate they charge the TSA or are they going to keep paying 38 and we are going to make 30? Same with the other jobs. I love the idea that the city is trying to come up with ways to save/make money without affecting us, but I am curious to see the outcome.

05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
The jobs were posted on Friday because they finished them late that afternoon. They were originialy going out Monday morning. I agree they should have kept it on Monday.

05-20-2008, 03:09 AM
None of this deals with my original post about the problem with hand selected jobs. I can pretty much promise you that this problem will never be answered. It's a huge benefit for the city to have jobs run by cops rather than extra duty. These cops are setting up everything for free and the city gets the whole pimp fee with no overhead or at least a very reduces overhead. They don't care who works the gig, they just want the money.

I am very curious to see what our pay is when the pimp fee goes up. We make 38/34 an hour to work bucs games. When the fee goes up are they going to increase the hourly rate they charge the TSA or are they going to keep paying 38 and we are going to make 30? Same with the other jobs. I love the idea that the city is trying to come up with ways to save/make money without affecting us, but I am curious to see the outcome.

Still no answer. Just what I suspected.

05-22-2008, 03:22 PM
THERE IS A SECURITY AGENCY OF RETIRED AND EX-POLICE OFFICERS THAT WILL BE BIDDING ON A LOT OF THE OFF DUTY JOBS, THEY ARE EXPERIENCED AND KNOW HOW TO HANDLE PEOPLE. IF TROUBLE STARTS THEY JUST CALL TPD TO TRANSPORT OF BACK THEM UP. THEY WILL UNDER BID THE OFF DUTY RATE AND WILL BE HIRED BASED ON THEIR EXPERIENCE AND ATTITUDE.