PDA

View Full Version : Major John Carroll - Partner with Jenne - See Miami Herald

05-10-2008, 08:15 PM
According to the MIami Herald- Circuit Judge Patti Englander Henning stepped down Thursday after Jenne revealed that he once employed the judge's brother-in-law while moonlighting as a consultant.

Henning's brother-in-law is Broward Sheriff's Office Maj. John Carroll, a member of the sheriff's command staff.

Carroll is a listed witness in the case.

Heyer asked Jenne about his guilty pleas last year to mail fraud and tax evasion charges that arose from a public corruption investigation and involved his undisclosed business interests in two companies, Havloc and Knodishall Trading.

It was known that Jenne's partners in those businesses were former undersheriff Thomas Carney and ex-Lt. Col Thomas Brennan.

But when asked, Jenne said he also had been in business in Havloc with Carroll. Jenne called him a ''contract'' employee.

''What was he doing for that company?'' Heyer asked.

''Just research,'' Jenne replied.

``OK. And was he paid by you to do this research?''

''By the company,'' Jenne said.

Henning had voluntarily disclosed her relationship to Carroll at a January hearing after learning he'd been subpoenaed by Townsend's lawyer. But the mere fact that he was a BSO commander didn't warrant Henning stepping aside, court papers say.

But the discovery of Carroll's ''personal relationship and private business activities'' with Jenne showed ''he also has a personal interest in the result of the litigation,'' plaintiff's court papers say.

Carroll today is director of staff services and inspections for Jenne's successor, Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti.

05-11-2008, 12:29 AM
According to the MIami Herald- Circuit Judge Patti Englander Henning stepped down Thursday after Jenne revealed that he once employed the judge's brother-in-law while moonlighting as a consultant.

Henning's brother-in-law is Broward Sheriff's Office Maj. John Carroll, a member of the sheriff's command staff.

Carroll is a listed witness in the case.

Heyer asked Jenne about his guilty pleas last year to mail fraud and tax evasion charges that arose from a public corruption investigation and involved his undisclosed business interests in two companies, Havloc and Knodishall Trading.

It was known that Jenne's partners in those businesses were former undersheriff Thomas Carney and ex-Lt. Col Thomas Brennan.

But when asked, Jenne said he also had been in business in Havloc with Carroll. Jenne called him a ''contract'' employee.

''What was he doing for that company?'' Heyer asked.

''Just research,'' Jenne replied.

``OK. And was he paid by you to do this research?''

''By the company,'' Jenne said.

Henning had voluntarily disclosed her relationship to Carroll at a January hearing after learning he'd been subpoenaed by Townsend's lawyer. But the mere fact that he was a BSO commander didn't warrant Henning stepping aside, court papers say.

But the discovery of Carroll's ''personal relationship and private business activities'' with Jenne showed ''he also has a personal interest in the result of the litigation,'' plaintiff's court papers say.

Carroll today is director of staff services and inspections for Jenne's successor, Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti.

One way or another. my hope for BSO is these employees that have caused some must harm are identified by the administration and removed, whether by Sheriff Lamberti or a new administration.

If the administration need help identifying these employees just read the BLOG. Everyone seems to know these employees, except the administration. Try the saying "Where there's smoke, there's fire."

05-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Is this really a surprise to anyone? The question is whether or not he used his research staff to do any of this work and whether or not it was during the BSO work day.

By the way, Isn't there a form that has to be filled out and approved for outside employment? If the Major didn't fill one out he's violating policy.

Dexter
05-12-2008, 01:34 AM
It's Broward County....It's a pot of soup. Who cares?

05-12-2008, 01:48 AM
their all scum. they promote each other, they protect each other, and they all look the other way. bso is truly a reflection of broward county. broward county scum.

05-15-2008, 11:03 PM
A whole bunch of posts got deleted and this got moved down to the 2nd page. This is not something that should be ignored. According to the Herald, John Carroll was in a business partnership with the convicted former Sheriff who was doing business with a security company. That violates Florida Law for the Sheriff. I'm not sure if it violates the Florida Law for the Major Carroll. It may also violate BSO policy.

Its time for the State Attorneys Office to check this one out.

05-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Rumour has it this major is losing his cool nearly everyday and the sheriff has noticed.

05-19-2008, 04:49 AM
[quote="Anonymous"]Rumour has it this major is losing his cool nearly everyday and the sheriff has noticed.[/quote

He musta been in the right place, but it musta been the wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong time.

05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Dr John - you must be older than dirt but I got a laugh out of it. My mother used to sing me that song.

05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Dr John - you must be older than dirt but I got a laugh out of it. My mother used to sing me that song.

The irony of quoting that ancient song lies in the fact, that the major in question calls himself Dr. John and yes I am older than dirt, but20 years younger than the the colonel.

05-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Its at least an ETHICS violation. I would hope all Command Staff at BSO sign the documents and file them with the County. We did in Dade. Someone needs to start the complaint process if not already being looked at !

05-19-2008, 11:13 PM
A whole bunch of posts got deleted and this got moved down to the 2nd page. This is not something that should be ignored. According to the Herald, John Carroll was in a business partnership with the convicted former Sheriff who was doing business with a security company. That violates Florida Law for the Sheriff. I'm not sure if it violates the Florida Law for the Major Carroll. It may also violate BSO policy.

Its time for the State Attorneys Office to check this one out.

Why not consult legal about possible ethics violations. Oh, never mind.

Dexter
05-20-2008, 12:59 AM

I don't remember writting that, I don't like soup.

But John is a good guy. Don't hate someone who bettered himself by actually going to college and getting a PHD. BSO will pay you to get it too. We all have a function some admin some grunts. If you don't want to be a grunt, better yourself.

05-20-2008, 03:27 AM
Ok, Dexter is John C PhD?? Piled high and deep.

05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Its at least an ETHICS violation. I would hope all Command Staff at BSO sign the documents and file them with the County. We did in Dade. Someone needs to start the complaint process if not already being looked at !

Dr. John used to teach ETHICS at the Academy! OUCH!

05-20-2008, 07:51 PM
[quote="Dade County LEO 2":wgq3et3q]Its at least an ETHICS violation. I would hope all Command Staff at BSO sign the documents and file them with the County. We did in Dade. Someone needs to start the complaint process if not already being looked at !

Dr. John used to teach ETHICS at the Academy! OUCH![/quote:wgq3et3q]

With a straight face?

05-21-2008, 12:58 AM
There seems to be quite a few allegations involving Dr. John. I've seen many questioning his ethics, his productivity, what his actual duties are. Lets face it there must be some truth to these allegations. The question the Sheriff should be asking himself is, would the agency be better off with or without Dr. John. I think the answer is obvious. Dr. John needs to go.

05-21-2008, 04:32 AM
Its all about integrity. Major John or Dr. John as you all like to call him should be investiagted by IA. That's of course if the Sheriff has any integrity.

Don't expect anything before the election.

05-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Its all about integrity. Major John or Dr. John as you all like to call him should be investiagted by IA. That's of course if the Sheriff has any integrity.

Pride and integrity, Dr. John has that bumper sticker!

05-21-2008, 05:42 PM

The longer the Sheriff allows those such as John Carroll to collect large paychecks when their integrity and ethics are questionable the longer I will continue to campaign against him. It's not about money Sheriff, it is about integrity. Let me campaign for you before it's too late. Clean out the garbage and you win. Get rid of JC, LR, KK and others with questional ethics. Keep em and I will have to reveal their ethical lapses to all the potential voters to whom I speak!

05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Without family help he would still be trying to be a road deputy. All the schooling cannot give someone common sense and it is clear by his actions you cannot fix stupid. As a major he sure doesn’t like law enforcement.

Again, why is he here. Surely his inlaw judge can not influence the election. But to allow him to stay is a slap in the face to all real law enforcement officers.

05-23-2008, 03:51 AM
We no longer have a democrat, whys he still here? Is it true he's married to Lori Parish?

05-23-2008, 04:40 AM
We no longer have a democrat, whys he still here? Is it true he's married to Lori Parish?

05-23-2008, 11:48 AM

But John is a good guy. Don't hate someone who bettered himself by actually going to college and getting a PHD. BSO will pay you to get it too. We all have a function some admin some grunts. If you don't want to be a grunt, better yourself.

Having a PHD doesn't give you a license to be threatening and intimidating. Having a PHD doesn't give you a license to be demeaning. To say his ego is overinflated is an understatement. I have no doubt his staff is working in hell. I know I used to work for Lt. Carroll and he was nightmare then. He should have stayed in Virginia. My condolences to his staff. If anyone has had a positive experience working for John Carroll, put it here. What comes around goes around. We're all waiting.

05-23-2008, 12:00 PM
[quote="Anonymous"]whys he still here? [quote]
The only reason he's here is because of Tom Carney. Carney saved him so many time, but then again, Carney's gone. I hope the Sheriff will do the right thing. Sheriff we do belive you are a man of integrity. Do the right thing.

05-25-2008, 02:26 AM
whys he still here?

He's still here because Lamberti's known him for nearly 25 years and Lamberti's not going to get rid of one of the "good old boys". The best thing Lamberti could do is offer him an early buyout. Carrol's only got about another year anyway. Buy him out Al. Save a Major's salary for the new budget year and save face by not putting him through an IA investigation and firing him.

05-26-2008, 04:11 PM
whys he still here?

He's still here because Lamberti's known him for nearly 25 years and Lamberti's not going to get rid of one of the "good old boys". The best thing Lamberti could do is offer him an early buyout. Carrol's only got about another year anyway. Buy him out Al. Save a Major's salary for the new budget year and save face by not putting him through an IA investigation and firing him.

if the allegations are true that type of activity dosnt mandate a buy out! An investigation would better serve the public. Pehaps no pension need be paid if certain laws have been boken. If Mr. PHD is worried about his pension, man up and resign. save the good folks of Broward county the price of an investigation! JcC your hero made made a deal, you can too!

05-27-2008, 12:39 AM
whys he still here?

if the allegations are true that type of activity dosnt mandate a buy out! An investigation would better serve the public. Pehaps no pension need be paid if certain laws have been boken. If Mr. PHD is worried about his pension, man up and resign. save the good folks of Broward county the price of an investigation! JcC your hero made made a deal, you can too!

Is it true he's married to Lori Parish?

05-27-2008, 12:41 AM
whys he still here?

Is it true he's married to Lori Parish?

MOD has removed several posts that would explain the REAL STORY!!
Thanks Mod

05-27-2008, 02:00 AM
whys he still here?

You make a good point but Carroll is good friends with Gajate. The investigation should be done by a State Prosecuter or maybe by the same guy that got Jenne.

05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
whys he still here?

You make a good point but Carroll is good friends with Gajate. The investigation should be done by a State Prosecuter or maybe by the same guy that got Jenne.

Mr. PHD, should show some class for once in his life and resign! It would be best for the agency. Believe me I'd much rather see him as Jenne's bunkie, but a resignation would be the manly thing to do. I quess Jennes more of a man than his PHD do-boy!

05-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Good idea, i hear Dr. Phil is looking for a stand-in, you up for it Dr. John, when your not at Spring Training baseball games at Fort Lauderdale Stadium, on the clock....and you thought we didn't see you there, nice try.

There seems to be quite a few allegations involving Dr. John. I've seen many questioning his ethics, his productivity, what his actual duties are. Lets face it there must be some truth to these allegations. The question the Sheriff should be asking himself is, would the agency be better off with or without Dr. John. I think the answer is obvious. Dr. John needs to go.

05-28-2008, 03:38 AM
[quote="Dade County LEO 2":200q0de8]Its at least an ETHICS violation. I would hope all Command Staff at BSO sign the documents and file them with the County. We did in Dade. Someone needs to start the complaint process if not already being looked at !

Dr. John used to teach ETHICS at the Academy! OUCH![/quote:200q0de8]

Using the logic that Dr. Major John should teach ethics, is like saying prisoner Jenne should teach a class on how to be tall.

05-28-2008, 11:24 AM
hey g-man, thanks for keeping this in the limelight. The indiscretions of this major will come out. There is so much more that will come out when the investigations begin and the investigation is beginning. The charges will be more than an ethics violations. The more unglued he becomes the more serious the findings will be. Hey Johnny. Do yourself a favor and resign.

G-man call me on cell.

05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
He has totally lost his mind, in order to speak to him you must make an appointment with his secretary, however he requires you make an appointment to speak to the secretary, I as a senior Lt. will not make an appointment to speak to a secretary, not even the Sheriffs. Sheriff get rid of this maniac, he will hurt you in November, he is already talking trash!

05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Did you know that he got one of his instructors a nothing big paying job at
BSO. He, a black male, was to assist in recruiting blacks. This guy walked around the high rise like he owned the place because he got Carroll his PHD.

05-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Lets stay on topic folks. The question is whether John Carroll's business dealings with Jenne and the security company constituted a breach of ethics, whether he did it during his work day at BSO, whether he used any other BSO employees or Staff Services employees to do the work and whether he claimed this extra income on his taxes.

His management style and everything else is secondary to possible ethical and criminal violations.

05-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Lets stay on topic folks. The question is whether John Carroll's business dealings with Jenne and the security company constituted a breach of ethics, whether he did it during his work day at BSO, whether he used any other BSO employees or Staff Services employees to do the work and whether he claimed this extra income on his taxes.

His management style and everything else is secondary to possible ethical and criminal violations.

The question is did he pay taxes on his ill gotten gains? I think the IRS would like know. Little Kenny did not pay tax on his earnings and gifts received in the Bahamas, do you really think Dr. Ethical paid federal taxes on his. Man up Doc do not make us report you, just resign!

05-29-2008, 05:04 AM
OOPS, was it also reported on the financial disclosure to the Supervisor of Elections as a public official???

That goes for all those who got paid for the "consulting" and "Carribean training junkets"

It's a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive....

05-30-2008, 11:33 AM
OOPS, was it also reported on the financial disclosure to the Supervisor of Elections as a public official???

That goes for all those who got paid for the "consulting" and "Carribean training junkets"

THIS IS SCREAMING BUY-OUT, BUY-OUT, BUY-OUT!

05-30-2008, 11:39 AM

You stupid a$$ Carroll is not a public official that reports to Supervisor of Elections. Only the Sheriff.

05-30-2008, 11:45 AM

You stupid a$$ Carroll is not a public official that reports to Supervisor of Elections. Only the Sheriff.

Who's the idiot???? Chiefs and above are required to disclose a finanacial statement yearly...once again....SHUT UP when you know nothing

05-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Who's the idiot???? Chiefs and above are required to disclose a finanacial statement yearly...once again....SHUT UP when you know nothing

You are correct, and many Lieutenants must complete the financial disclosure documents too. It is unlawful to lie on them as SKJ found out.

05-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Did big John report the gifts KJ gave him?

05-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Did big John report the gifts KJ gave him?

Florida State Statute 423.28 mandates gifts exchanged between lovers are exempt, should clear Dr. John of any wrong doing for taking gifts from Lil Kenny!

06-02-2008, 03:29 PM
I saw Dr. John at the PSB. I said good morning to him. He looked straight ahead like I did not exist. The Col. walks out and I swear to God Dr. John appeared to be licking his shoes. Do we need people like this?

06-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I saw Dr. John at the PSB. I said good morning to him. He looked straight ahead like I did not exist. The Col. walks out and I swear to God Dr. John appeared to be licking his shoes. Do we need people like this?

He does that all the time. The colonels and the sheriff always acknowledge you. It's part of being human. But not Dr. John.

BUT.. being an a$$hole doesn't mean you're a criminal. I bring your attention back to the intent of this topic.

Does doing work on the side for the Sheriff, for the security company that the Sheriff got paid on the side for, didn't claim on his taxes and went to jail for, criminal behavior? Is there a breach of ethics? Did he report it to the IRS and the proper State agencies? Does anyone know if there is an investigation going on or does this good ole boy get away with it just like Carney and Brennan?

Does anyone know if he's being offered a buyout?

06-04-2008, 03:07 AM

He does that all the time. The colonels and the sheriff always acknowledge you. It's part of being human. But not Dr. John.

BUT.. being an a$$hole doesn't mean you're a criminal. I bring your attention back to the intent of this topic.

Does doing work on the side for the Sheriff, for the security company that the Sheriff got paid on the side for, didn't claim on his taxes and went to jail for, criminal behavior? Is there a breach of ethics? Did he report it to the IRS and the proper State agencies? Does anyone know if there is an investigation going on or does this good ole boy get away with it just like Carney and Brennan?

Does anyone know if he's being offered a buyout?

I offer to buy him commissary items when he gaets to the big house, if he will walk my dog 3 days a week now!

06-05-2008, 05:04 AM
It seems like Dr. JOhn is the most hated Major of all times. I wonder why. These posts sound like a lynching. Is it deserved? Is he that bad? Is he bad enough to throw to the wolves? Smart and competent can sometimes be confused with arrogance. But even if he's arrogant, thats hardly criminal. Anyone have any "real" evidence.

06-05-2008, 05:18 AM
It seems like Dr. JOhn is the most hated Major of all times. I wonder why. These posts sound like a lynching. Is it deserved? Is he that bad? Is he bad enough to throw to the wolves? Smart and competent can sometimes be confused with arrogance. But even if he's arrogant, thats hardly criminal. Anyone have any "real" evidence.

Based on the Miami Herald story, the Sheriff's admission, and the sister-in-law/judge recusing herself (although not until the story came out), it seems like plenty of evidence that the Major should at least be investigated on his moonlighting activities. Isn't there a policy against working for another law enforcement or security company? Its not just about this company, what about his involvement in that training that went down in the carribean? Wasn't that illegal? Someone please refresh my memory.

06-08-2008, 02:51 AM
He's not going anywhere. He'll do anything for Lamberti and Lamberti will use him until he gets elected. I heard he will be moved to the Major's office and just work for Lamberti. Either OL will be in charge of both ODA and Staff Inspections or they'll bring in another Captain to run ODA.

06-08-2008, 03:24 AM
I heard he's out of town looking for another job. May be he is concerned about lamberti being elected.

06-10-2008, 04:04 AM
I think the Sheriff will keep him through hurricane season and then its bye bye Dr. John.

06-10-2008, 04:07 AM
I think the Sheriff will keep him through hurricane season and then its bye bye Dr. John.

When Hurricane season is over a new Sheriff will be elected so either way, John John is gone.

06-10-2008, 04:18 AM
You're telling me that John Carroll is the best we have for emergency management and hurricanes???? We're doomed. So much for succession planning. Bring back Mel Lang.

06-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Let the firemen run the show and set John Carroll free. Really free like retired or fired.

06-10-2008, 09:08 AM
[quote="Dade County LEO 2":1ovfmtdc]Its at least an ETHICS violation. I would hope all Command Staff at BSO sign the documents and file them with the County. We did in Dade. Someone needs to start the complaint process if not already being looked at !

Dr. John used to teach ETHICS at the Academy! OUCH![/quote:1ovfmtdc]

so does ED WERDER, who was consulting for JENNE on the job as Chief of Cooper City but none of you ethical gurus ever point that out in any posting.

06-11-2008, 01:41 AM
[quote="Here's Irony":2d0qdets][quote="Dade County LEO 2":2d0qdets]Its at least an ETHICS violation. I would hope all Command Staff at BSO sign the documents and file them with the County. We did in Dade. Someone needs to start the complaint process if not already being looked at !

Dr. John used to teach ETHICS at the Academy! OUCH![/quote:2d0qdets]

so does ED WERDER, who was consulting for JENNE on the job as Chief of Cooper City but none of you ethical gurus ever point that out in any posting.[/quote:2d0qdets]

Was Ed Werder a paid consultant? I don't think so. John Carroll was a paid contract employee, hired by Jenne, to do work for a security company that Jenne had a financial interest in. How was John Carroll supposed to testify against Jenne who was not only his boss at BSO but at Havloc too? Conflict of interest, don't you think? Are there ethical questions here? You bet!

06-12-2008, 01:22 AM

I know him. He may be tough, but I've never known him to be anything but honorable. I think many of these posts are unfair.

06-12-2008, 01:26 AM

I know him. He may be tough, but I've never known him to be anything but honorable. I think many of these posts are unfair.

By the way, who cares if he was working on the side for Jenne. Does that impact you personally? I doubt it. Let the man do his job.

06-14-2008, 02:21 PM

You must be kidding. Cut-throat is the only word that comes to mind.

Not to mention that he left a Sgt and returned and made Major due to his family connection is about 10 Min's.

he is out of touch with the troops and his sister is a LT in the Jail, I am surprised she is not a Major too.

When AL is re elected he should be one of the first to be shown the door.

06-15-2008, 02:50 AM

By the way, who cares if he was working on the side for Jenne. Does that impact you personally? I doubt it. Let the man do his job.

Other than walking around being pompous, what's he do? I know he's mean to women, but really whats his function.