PDA

View Full Version : Tasers

05-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Is FWC getting them?

05-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Do any state agencies carry tasers?

05-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Be it salt spray, rain or deploying a taser on a subject that results in a fall overboard, tasers and water don't mix well.

It is not likely FWC will ever carry them.

05-10-2008, 11:00 PM
A lot of SO marine units carry them without any problems

05-11-2008, 10:26 PM
What State Agency carries tasers?

05-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Answer: Not One.

05-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Anyone know why State Agencies do not carry tasers?

05-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Because FWC would rather buy new badges and hats (that likely will never be worn by most)...

Nothing like priorities

05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
To fit the current direction of the FWC we will not be getting tasers. Instead they are looking into bullwhips and billyclubs. Spitoons are an option too.

05-23-2008, 05:20 AM

Answer: Not One.

That is not factual. Campus cops carry tasers. But I am not sure if you can consider them real cops. LOL But they are considered state leo and they do carry them. FSU I know for sure does.

05-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Did not think of campus police when thinking SLEO.

06-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Heard an S.O did a demonstration of someone being tazed in the water to prove it doesn't matter. Do you think maybe that the training staff brass/mgmt. is just happy with status quo? Personally feel mgmt. thinks it will cause more lawsuits and that it will make work for the legal dept.

gator killer
06-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I would buy my own if they would let us carry them.

06-12-2008, 10:49 PM
We still have dinosaurs that refuse to carry OC. They still think wheelguns and nighsticks are state of the art.

06-13-2008, 01:36 AM
It's more an officer safety thing, than a criminal safety thing...

There have been documented incidents of Deputies being shocked by their own taser because rainwater has seeped into the area of the charging port.

Ask yourself this; Would you want to fall into the water with 50,000 volts strapped to your side, knowing electricity and water don't mix?

06-13-2008, 02:06 AM

There have been documented incidents of Deputies being shocked by their own taser because rainwater has seeped into the area of the charging port.

Ask yourself this; Would you want to fall into the water with 50,000 volts strapped to your side, knowing electricity and water don't mix?

Brilliant! In case you missed it, we actually put a man on the moon almost 40 years ago. No really, we did.

06-13-2008, 06:10 PM
FDLE Uniformed / Capitol Police also carry Tasers

06-14-2008, 02:42 AM

Brilliant! In case you missed it, we actually put a man on the moon almost 40 years ago. No really, we did.

Whatever.... I choose not to carry my taser on my duty belt when I am on waterpatrol. If you want to carry one, all the more power to you (no pun intended)!

06-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Campus cops are not SLEO. The FSS restricts their authority to campus property. UF cops carry them for sure (remember tasergate). The nonsense about them hurting deputies when they got wet is nonsense. I have been in the pouring rain with mine for hours and not a problem. The state is doing a diservice by not allowing SLEOs to carry them. DEP was issued brand new AR 15's, I have a hard time seeing how that is more friendly than Tasers. I have carried a taser for 3 yrs and it is an incredibly effective intermediate weapon; whether i actually use it or simply present it. It has saved many a suspect's life, and I can testify to that.

I cant believe, with as much time as FHP/DEP/FWC/DOT spends alone, that you guys dont have them. If FWC/DEP called for backup on the water or some remote spot in the woods, it would take hours to get another unit there.

07-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Campus cops are not SLEO. The FSS restricts their authority to campus property. UF cops carry them for sure (remember tasergate). The nonsense about them hurting deputies when they got wet is nonsense. I have been in the pouring rain with mine for hours and not a problem. The state is doing a diservice by not allowing SLEOs to carry them. DEP was issued brand new AR 15's, I have a hard time seeing how that is more friendly than Tasers. I have carried a taser for 3 yrs and it is an incredibly effective intermediate weapon; whether i actually use it or simply present it. It has saved many a suspect's life, and I can testify to that.

I cant believe, with as much time as FHP/DEP/FWC/DOT spends alone, that you guys dont have them. If FWC/DEP called for backup on the water or some remote spot in the woods, it would take hours to get another unit there.

I totally agree with you. You are not going to get "electrocuted" by your Taser if you fall in the water with it and they are perfectly safe to use in the water on a subject, however, you have to consider the drowning hazard. Yeah, it amazes me that there is such a great tool available for officer safety and these agencies don't have them for their personnel.