PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS ABOUT GETTING ON AS A CERTIFIED POLICE OFFICER

Trooper86
05-08-2008, 07:30 PM
If your a currently law enforcement officer do you still have to take the physical ability test? Also what type of FTO period do you go through ? Any information will help. Thanks

05-08-2008, 10:48 PM
1) No physical agility.
2) Just apply and wait for an orientation date
3) Polygraph
4) Background
5) Physc test
6) Medical

Once you have completed the above, you have a regular FTO program, like non-certified.

Trooper86
05-09-2008, 01:27 AM
I heard that I can't apply for MDPD until one year after probation...Is that true?

05-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Not necessarily, I applied as a certified candidate and I only sponsored myself through the police academy. You'll have to complete their agency-specific training in the academy, which is like 2 months long.. After that you should be good to go for FTO..

Trooper86
05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Question on the agency-specific training in the academy....What does that cover? ASR, TASER, and Agency Policy? Also, do they treat you like the FHP Academy treats everybody (Shark Attacks, Smoke Sessions)?

05-10-2008, 12:59 AM
I have no on the job experience, just one of those dudes who only went through the FDLE CMS curriculum for 6 months.. From what I hear, we would be joining with a current academy class for their last 2 months.. Chances are they're past the "red phase" of the academy, but we'd probably have to PT several times a week til we finish.. And of course, play along with the instructors' silly mind games.

06-15-2008, 01:22 AM
PO's that are certified and have worked for other LE agencies, have to attend the MDPD specific training too?

06-15-2008, 06:01 AM
probably.. how far are you in the process? my file was passed on to backgrounds almost 2 weeks ago

06-16-2008, 12:23 PM
My file was approved several months ago, just waiting for a start date

06-16-2008, 09:38 PM
According to an LT I spoke with recently, any new classes (for recruits and laterals) won't start til' October at the earliest.

06-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Is there openings for current certified? I'm certified with prior experience and scheduled for July 17th orientation. There are rumors that the county has a hiring freeze!!!!!TRUE anyone?

06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
call personnel.

06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
The position is closed until October. If you are still currently in the hiring process, you will be further processed when the vacancy re-opens. Guess we have to wait a little while longer.

06-26-2008, 06:47 AM
I took the Phsyc about a month ago and found out I got 07ed because according to it I was "unsuitable"??????????. I have been a PO for 8 years and took 2 other phsycs (worked for 2 depts) and never had a prob until I took the one for MDPD. The shrink asked me about 4 questions from the paperwork your first fill out (where you live, who u live with, how many guns u have, etc) and that was it. I was in the talking to him for less than 5 mins.........WTF???? I have nothing in back background except 1 parking ticket. Guess they lost a good cop and they dont even know it because the phsyc was the first test I took. What BS.

06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
That sucks dude. Those people in Doral are quirky to say the least. I've passed the poly and the 1st psych so far. I called personnel yesterday and was told that my application would be further processed at the start of the new fiscal year (October). I'm certified also I put myself through the academy and I am working in another field at the moment.

06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
The county is currently redoing psychological screening due too many people failing the exams due to the "False Positive" results the Dr. there makes it up and the department signs off on his and others who work there educated assumption of your personality regardless of what the personality inventory says if they do not like you, your done form the word hello. Especially the female Dr. that will score low if you do not make eye contact with her. Can't wait to 19 her sign here and here and here and here and finally here have a nice day. :D

06-27-2008, 12:01 AM
The county is currently redoing psychological screening due too many people failing the exams due to the "False Positive" results the Dr. there makes it up and the department signs off on his and others who work there educated assumption of your personality regardless of what the personality inventory says if they do not like you, your done form the word hello. Especially the female Dr. that will score low if you do not make eye contact with her. Can't wait to 19 her sign here and here and here and here and finally here have a nice day. :D

lol yup....................09 39 too

06-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Do any of you guys know the bald guy at the Psyche office? That dude is just a peice of work...

06-29-2008, 10:29 AM
i think he's the most QRU of them all. The female psychologist fails people based on your interview primarily. She's penis-deprived or so it seems.

07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
The most QRU guy in the Psyche office is the black older guy. That guy really knows how to talk to people.

07-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Guess what? Us FDLE self-sponsored certified guys with NO experience would have to do the WHOLE 9-MONTH academy again. That's ridiculous.

07-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Guess what? Us FDLE self-sponsored certified guys with NO experience would have to do the WHOLE 9-MONTH academy again. That's ridiculous.

Really? Then go some place else!

07-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Well folks I attended the testing at the Mahi Shrine Ad. yesterday and WOW how many people applied. Because I'm currently LEO certified with experience I was advised that I did not need to re-take the CJBAT test, and instead was given a blue slip with the words lateral and a yellow envelope with a history packet in it to fill-out and bring back with me on July 30th orientation day.

Very cool! Hopeful applicant! Let's see how things move now!

07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't get excited at all. It'll be by this time in 2009 that you'll be writing about having been assigned a BI.

07-20-2008, 03:22 AM
That long! Are they that slow?

07-20-2008, 11:22 AM
yes. i passed the poly and 1st psych already and was told at the beginning of this month that i wouldn't be assigned a BI until October (the start of the fiscal year)

07-20-2008, 09:31 PM
another trooper leaving...big surprise.

07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
There are other certified besides FHP that are looking for better! 8)

07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
hialeah's taking applications til july 30. The pay ain't great, but if you want something more short-term this is a decent opportunity.

08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
That sucks dude. Those people in Doral are quirky to say the least. I've passed the poly and the 1st psych so far. I called personnel yesterday and was told that my application would be further processed at the start of the new fiscal year (October). I'm certified also I put myself through the academy and I am working in another field at the moment.

" I put myself through the academy "

I don't understand this quote, ? Can you specify?

THanks,

08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
You can pay your way and get certified. Dept.'s will pick u up quicker cause they didnt have to pay your salary and training and of course,you get to choose the dept. u want. If u have free time,and dont need a salary,do it!

08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
So what's the deal if someone was sponsored by another agency, had over 1 year of experience working for that agency and wanted to apply with MDPD? What training is necessary then?