PDA

View Full Version : FHP board

05-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Seems some of our Trooper bretheren/sisteren (if that's a word) don't think DOT/AG/FWC/DEP or any other SLEO's actually do anything resembling what they refer to as "real" police work (i.e. sig-76 moa, moa,moa...get a road ranger.). I would like everyone to call in all their traffic stops so they can hear what we actually are doing. We usually don't call in for something as simple as suspended DL's, misd. warrants, etc... the days of calling in on the phone to keep off the radio are over- call in every traffic stop like they do with the signal 76's over and over, I'm sick of the attitude from some of these troopers that they are the only law enforcement in Florida. When was the last time they assessed a penalty for more than a speeding ticket? How about writing a driver some tickets-more than 1-doing an inspection on the truck-putting the driver-truck-carrier out of service-fines to the carrier in the thousands-impounding the tractor/trailer for no paying those fines-arresting the driver for DL violations/warrants/dui/drugs poss/trafficking/aggressive driving-and whatever else. DOT pays $400,000+ a year for dispatch services, I say lets get our moneys worth out of them.

05-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Seems some of our Trooper bretheren/sisteren (if that's a word) don't think DOT/AG/FWC/DEP or any other SLEO's actually do anything resembling what they refer to as "real" police work (i.e. sig-76 moa, moa,moa...get a road ranger.). I would like everyone to call in all their traffic stops so they can hear what we actually are doing. We usually don't call in for something as simple as suspended DL's, misd. warrants, etc... the days of calling in on the phone to keep off the radio are over- call in every traffic stop like they do with the signal 76's over and over, I'm sick of the attitude from some of these troopers that they are the only law enforcement in Florida. When was the last time they assessed a penalty for more than a speeding ticket? How about writing a driver some tickets-more than 1-doing an inspection on the truck-putting the driver-truck-carrier out of service-fines to the carrier in the thousands-impounding the tractor/trailer for no paying those fines-arresting the driver for DL violations/warrants/dui/drugs poss/trafficking/aggressive driving-and whatever else. DOT pays $400,000+ a year for dispatch services, I say lets get our moneys worth out of them.
You sir are a complete idiot!!!!!! Im the one who posted that and if you read anything I put on there you would have seen that I stated that these were just questions and not knocks!!! So dont dare come on here and try to twist my words to make it fit your stupid agenda!!
I only know one of you guys and honestly he is lazy and when i ask him stuff he gives me a silly response.
Everybody has a job to do and others have qustions like me, so please make sure you can concentrate long enough to read the entire post!
sorry to the others on here for this guy!
Thanks.

05-08-2008, 07:02 PM
You sir are a complete idiot!!!!!! Im the one who posted that and if you read anything I put on there you would have seen that I stated that these were just questions and not knocks!!! So dont dare come on here and try to twist my words to make it fit your stupid agenda!!
I only know one of you guys and honestly he is lazy and when i ask him stuff he gives me a silly response.
Everybody has a job to do and others have qustions like me, so please make sure you can concentrate long enough to read the entire post!
Thanks.

Don't judge us all by one person. We all know that every agency has the lazy people, but we are not all like that. Don't take this as me trying to start an argument, just appreciate the fact that all leo's for the state work hard in their own ways. Yes, we have lazy people who should not be employed, as do FHP, DOT, DACS, FWC etc.

I do have a suggestion, I am however tired of hearing the phone being answered at dispatch as Highway Patrol. I think they need to say, State Dispatch or something along those lines. I think we need to start a movement to have this changed since we all use the dispatchers alike.

All I have to say is don't judge a book by its cover. If I judged every agency based off my encounter with one Officer, I would have lots of bad things to say about FHP, and many of the SO's. We are all Police and most of us work hard doing our jobs. I think we all need to show more cooperation and work with other agencies doing their jobs so we all get a better idea of what each other does. That way when the crap hits the fan, everyone has a better idea of what the other was doing.

My 2 cents.

05-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks.

You only know ONE and he is lazy!?!? PLEASE, talk to me when you stop 10 trucks a day and do more than write a ticket to a car, ask and obtain the following from every truck you stop: driver license, medical card, log book, shipping papers, registration/cab card on the truck, registration on trailer, check for rotweilers, cats,snakes lot lizards, unauthorized passengers etc.. in the truck, find their radar detector, drugs, bottle of whiskey, see if they are on medication or just lying about it, check for haz-mat if they are loaded-you've got to check the shipping papers-sometimes they try to cover up the fact they have haz-mat, see if they have the correct endorsements (tank/double/triple/haz-mat) and see if they are violating any restrictions on the DL-corrective lens, air brakes, passenger. Check for warrants, pedophile, see if they are on probation-maybe not to leave the state where their from- all of them are lying about SOMETHING-get to the bottom of it. Do this on EVERY traffic stop you do and make sure you initiate the stop in a safe area where the truck can stop without getting stuck, turning over, pissing off the local business that he will be in their parking lot or blocking the entrance to their drive, or the turning lane that "Granny" can't get to her favorite coffee shop and she will park behind you and begin blowing the horn, calling the office and 911 because she just cannot beleive you are blocking "her" turn lane. Then IF the driver has everything in order, you check all the equioment and don't even get started on whether to do a L-1, L-2, or L-3. AND if it looks heavy, go ahead and drag out those portable scale and hoof 'em on down the ditch to the front of the truck (all 4) and weigh it. Depending on the length, if he's on the interstate or not, how many axles he has, if he has a permit for inner-bridge-if he's long enough for that to be valid, check his log book and see if he falsified it-if he needs one (depending on CDL vehicle, over 100 air miles-maybe 150 air miles-do intra-state or inter-state rules apply) call the shipper and carrier if somethings wrong and expplain it all to them, before they call th office/Tallahassee and begin complaining, do all that and then start typing all that informaton in your laptop, not once but at least 3 times if ANYTHING is wrong, check to see if they have authority to operate-$500 fine for that, check apportioned registration for FL on it, if not then assess the penalty for all weight over 10,000 lbs for straight truck and unladen combination, or 35,000 lbs for a laden combination, issue IRP trip permit, fuel tax permit if the truck don't have IFTA decals.... I will stop here for now, you get the idea, I don't think ANY DOT officer can be called lazy, you may see one of us chilling out, sometimes our brain needs a break, come and ride with one of us if you want to see more of what we do, it is VERY EXCITING and that's why I love what I do and will NEVER go write tickets and be limited in what I can do to some ***hole that should not be operating a CMV much less any other vehicle. And after you issue the fine for several hundred dollars, maybe a couple thousand,whatever, make sure he is not pissed off enough to go drive that thing into the nearest clump of people he can find. Then go get another one. We all do a service for the citezns of Florida, my job is no more important than a trooper or oscar or game warden, and all the others, but, it's no less important either. We will not stick together and we will never get paid what we are worth, but at least we could have some respect for each other, I think that is severely lacking from the black and tan side.

05-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Good question. It isnt FHP. Why doesnt the dispatch answer Public safety center this line is recorded? Whats the deal> Why doesnt someone with BARS on do something?

05-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Good question. It isnt FHP. Why doesnt the dispatch answer Public safety center this line is recorded? Whats the deal> Why doesnt someone with BARS on do something?

Very true, they should be answering the phone, State Dispatch, duty Officer ...., not FHP. We are all disptached through the center and should be all recognized. This goes right back to we are not getting the name recognition we should be getting.

05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Just wait, we will be soon answering the phones "DOT secretaries, how may we help you"? I want to work for the agency I applied for, FHP dispatch, but no, some number cruncher in a hole somewhere in the State thought consolidated dispatching would fix all state law enforcement problems. I believe it was a former FHP Col. that got that idiot ball rolling. All we are now is overwhelmed with stupid administrative phone calls for 10 agencies with sworn LEO's that about 1/2 or less of them only turn on their radio when they go X8 and X42 if they even remember. Slam me with 10-50's all day, just get me off the phone. I liked my old building without the giant TV's, That's ok, if DOT gets their way, we'll all be locked out of the building with their FT knox BS security just to get into the comm center, cause god knows the bad guys want to get in to see what the road rangers are doing! It's a matter of national security I guess! I like most cops, I like helping you on the road, water,park wherever, and I like the career I have choosen. I just hate where it's going!

07-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Very true, they should be answering the phone, State Dispatch, duty Officer ...., not FHP. We are all disptached through the center and should be all recognized. This goes right back to we are not getting the name recognition we should be getting.

The blue signs on the side of the road advise you to dial *FHP when you are reporting a drunk. Hence.... "Highway Patrol, Duty Officer **** speaking. How may I help you?"

Also, the one in charge, running the show in the Comm Center is FHP Captain Gaston.

07-07-2008, 12:11 PM

The blue signs on the side of the road advise you to dial *FHP when you are reporting a drunk. Hence.... "Highway Patrol, Duty Officer **** speaking. How may I help you?"

Also, the one in charge, running the show in the Comm Center is FHP Captain Gaston.

FHP sponsors the positions because they have the most people, not because of the blue signs.

So my question
Do they answer DEP, DUTY OFFICER when someone calls the 1-866-park-cop number, since it goes to STATE CONSOLIDATED DISPATCH, NOT FHP DISPATCH!!!!

07-08-2008, 12:47 AM
I guess it really doesn't matter how the PHONES are answered, just as long as they answer the LEO on the radio when He or She calls, right?

I swear, some folks will whine and complain about anything!

08-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Gee how about "State Law Enforcement Communication Center,,,How may I help you"

. Woowww that was hard. Perhaps "Captain Gatson or whatever should be informed it ISNT his comm center he just works there like the rest of the people. Unreal looose the wholier than thou attitude. I dont even think that park cop number works anyway....

Besides Star FHP is slang for transfer to the Sheriff's Offices anyway. :devil:

08-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Since your reference to Capt Gaston, it looks like you work in the Jax area so let me tell you something. For starters, I dont work for FHP but I have worked with the Capt and his staff at the JRCC. They have taken on a tremendous work load since the implementation of SLERS in this area along with their normal FHP duties and handled it well. At the time, FHP was the proper agency to take the dispatch centers and have proven themselves ever since. They had the positions in place and the command staff to manage such a task. Trust me, no other state agency stood up to carry that flag so lay off with how they answer the phone. As long as you get your complaint about a dog running around the park without a leash, who cares. Oh here's a thought, maybe 800-PARK-COP on your car followed by a PIN number/your ID should ring your cell phone so you don't have to wait for a call from dispatch and you can answer it anyway you like.

08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey gomer I dont work for the D.E.P. either so as far as those guys. They are a sharp group of officers and I personally think FHP should be disbanded anyway. I work for a major Sheriffs Office in Florida and I can tell you FHP is a waste.

We handle all of our own fatalities and the rule of thumb is if we arrive at it first we work the entire thing. The D.E.P. cops at least have have a purpose protecting Parks and Enviroments which I might add most Sheriff's Officers or Deputies dont usually patrol.
It is a disreaspect for the State comm center not to answer the phone the proper way. Besides I can tell you a thousand times a day on my screen that per FHP transfer so that tells me they are not even taking the calls.

Hey dont worry Ill take your call and mine so you can hide and not even answer your radio. FHP wouldnt know Police work if it bit em in the arse. At least D.E.P. handles all law enforcement in the State Parks. I hope the DEP,FWC,DOA,DOT make a stink and remind these people IT IS NOT the comm center. hey good for them they are puppets in a comm center but that doesnt give them the right to call it FHP.

08-16-2008, 06:39 PM

I work in a State Dispatch Center. 99.9% of the calls for service coming into the Comm Center are for traffic-related assistance (wrecks, Disabled vehicles/motorists, wreckless drivers, etc). These people are calling FHP. They never heard of some of the other agencies that we dispatch. Why confuse them to stroke your ego?

08-17-2008, 03:44 AM
It has nothing to do with ego.
It has to do with referring to the center by its proper name, educating the public and getting on with the times.

09-29-2008, 05:00 AM
So I was getting bored with the FHP board and decided to skim around on other state agencies. First off I would like to say, I like hearing from your agency, all of the officers I have ever encountered either on the phone or radio are very professional and a joy to work with.

I just felt like I needed to post something on this subject. Like stated earlier 99.9% of our calls are for FHP. I feel like changing the line to State law enforcement bla bla bla would confuse these callers anymore. Callers we get our tourist, irrate people, moron's, etc. You know how the drill goes. To give them another option for a different agency would be more work on the dispatcher to explain the different options.

I been a dispatcher for 2 years and all the calls I have received for DEP is either from the officer coming on the radio saying he got a call to an incident he needs to respond to and he is x51. The other comes from the park ranger saying he needs a DEP Officer. I have never received a call from a actual citizen requesting a DEP officer.

If you guys want it answered in a certain way, let me suggest something to you so maybe you can pass it on to your brass

The State Fire Marshall has there own line in the comm center. So when that line rings we answer it State Fire Marshall's Office Duty Officer ______________

Well I hope I enlightened some of you. Stay Safe out there

09-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Good reply. Our agency (DEP) is almost entirely a proactive agency. Any arrests/tickets/other enforcement action we take are as a result of our own discovery. We like it that way. In my experience, if someone in a state park, preseve, river, greenay, etc where we may patrol needs LEO, they usually call the local agency.

09-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Good reply. Our agency (DEP) is almost entirely a proactive agency. Any arrests/tickets/other enforcement action we take are as a result of our own discovery. We like it that way. In my experience, if someone in a state park, preseve, river, greenay, etc where we may patrol needs LEO, they usually call the local agency.

In other words, the state could save alot of money by eliminating yoru agency that has no calls for service from the public. Nobody would even notice or care that you're gone.

09-29-2008, 08:44 PM
The state gets a great value from DEP/DLE and they also satisfy a legal duty they owe to the citizens that visit DEP properties by providing general law enforcement services to those people and properties. Eliminating DEP/DLE would be a horrible idea. Granted I am assuming you know very little about duty and breach (which i am sure you dont bc you equate calls for service to the viability of a LE agency), the lands that DEP patrols are some of the few properties where the state has a duty to provide LE services. FM, FDLE, etc? Not so much. FHP (state roads), DACS (overall protection of state ag sources), DEP (state lands, parks, waterways), FWC (statewide resource protection)... yes.

When you invite people onto a property, you incur a duty to protect. Its very simple. We invite and see over 20 million people onto DEP propety every year. It is NOT the local jurisdictions duty to protect them, it is the states. You can argue soverign immunity all day long but meanwhile someone was hurt or injured bc the state failed to provide LE services. You can eliminate the 89 uniformed officers of DEP/DLE to save a few million, or you can protect the states citizens, encourage use of state land and protect from millions and millions of liability. You choose. Sometimes you have to think about the law (and understand it too!) and the logic behind it before you go eliminating agencies. Good suggestion about eliminating DEP idiot.

09-30-2008, 03:47 AM
The state gets a great value from DEP/DLE and they also satisfy a legal duty they owe to the citizens that visit DEP properties by providing general law enforcement services to those people and properties. Eliminating DEP/DLE would be a horrible idea. Granted I am assuming you know very little about duty and breach (which i am sure you dont bc you equate calls for service to the viability of a LE agency), the lands that DEP patrols are some of the few properties where the state has a duty to provide LE services. FM, FDLE, etc? Not so much. FHP (state roads), DACS (overall protection of state ag sources), DEP (state lands, parks, waterways), FWC (statewide resource protection)... yes.

When you invite people onto a property, you incur a duty to protect. Its very simple. We invite and see over 20 million people onto DEP propety every year. It is NOT the local jurisdictions duty to protect them, it is the states. You can argue soverign immunity all day long but meanwhile someone was hurt or injured bc the state failed to provide LE services. You can eliminate the 89 uniformed officers of DEP/DLE to save a few million, or you can protect the states citizens, encourage use of state land and protect from millions and millions of liability. You choose. Sometimes you have to think about the law (and understand it too!) and the logic behind it before you go eliminating agencies. Good suggestion about eliminating DEP idiot.

DEP should exist but it should be one agency with FWC. To many State Agencies in this ass backward state.

10-01-2008, 04:39 PM

nice! Finally, some intelligence...do you really work for this state?

10-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Hey gomer I dont work for the D.E.P. either so as far as those guys. They are a sharp group of officers and I personally think FHP should be disbanded anyway. I work for a major Sheriffs Office in Florida and I can tell you FHP is a waste.

We handle all of our own fatalities and the rule of thumb is if we arrive at it first we work the entire thing. The D.E.P. cops at least have have a purpose protecting Parks and Enviroments which I might add most Sheriff's Officers or Deputies dont usually patrol.
It is a disreaspect for the State comm center not to answer the phone the proper way. Besides I can tell you a thousand times a day on my screen that per FHP transfer so that tells me they are not even taking the calls.

Hey dont worry Ill take your call and mine so you can hide and not even answer your radio. FHP wouldnt know Police work if it bit em in the arse. At least D.E.P. handles all law enforcement in the State Parks. I hope the DEP,FWC,DOA,DOT make a stink and remind these people IT IS NOT the comm center. hey good for them they are puppets in a comm center but that doesnt give them the right to call it FHP.

IF you work for a "Major Sheriff's Office" in the State of Florida *oooooooooooooh, then why the H*LL do you care HOW the dispatchers answer the phones?!! Dumb Azs!!

10-25-2008, 06:51 PM

That Captain couldnt command a freaking paper bag

Dont kid yourself. Its more like this....FHP comm center stand by ---call forward.... STARIGHT to X49 rrring rinng rinngg " 911 What is your emergency ". That comm center thing is a joke.

10-25-2008, 06:54 PM

IF you work for a "Major Sheriff's Office" in the State of Florida *oooooooooooooh, then why the H*LL do you care HOW the dispatchers answer the phones?!! Dumb Azs!!

Its a matter of recognition you SMUCK,, Heck your car should say DHSMV not FHP but I dont crack on you. Your a div of DHSMV but whatever makes you feel better at night there TROOPER :devil: :evil:

10-25-2008, 07:03 PM

I work in a State Dispatch Center. 99.9% of the calls for service coming into the Comm Center are for traffic-related assistance (wrecks, Disabled vehicles/motorists, wreckless drivers, etc). These people are calling FHP. They never heard of some of the other agencies that we dispatch. Why confuse them to stroke your ego?

Who are you kidding these people are calling for LAW ENFORCEMENT.

That is no diffrent than someones mentality why is SHERIFF on the Interstate? Hell I just wont patrol my entire zone as part of it cover the Interstate... I wouldnt want to confuse the public that comes down here from up North. Welcome to Florida is all I have to sayon that one if you dont like it DRIVE NORTH. Thats a toltal cop out and just unprofessional. Do your job and do it right. Your not FHP so stop thinking you are.

11-03-2008, 12:53 PM
When I call dispatch (FWC- Co-located w/ fhp) the phone is answered FWC, Div. of Law Enforcement. Then again we have our own px lines... FYI

05-26-2009, 04:04 AM
I, too, am a 10-37. I love dispatching for DEP, DOT, SFM, etc. All of them are friends of mine. I feel it a privelage to work with most of them and hope to do ride-a-longs in the future.

We just don't get the calls for them that we do for FHP. I see your point, though. Perhaps policy should be re-examined.

I get one or two calls for fire marshals a night. I get maybe one or two a MONTH for MCC. I get one or two a month for DEP.

Nevertheless, though I get my checks from FHP, I'm still YOUR dispatcher. I make sure you're taken care of and have everything you need. If we aren't doing the job you think we should be doing for you though, why not say something instead of fussing on a forum most don't read?

07-30-2009, 05:41 PM
I listen on the radio and hear how many water calls get 10-39'd to FWC by DEP; that includes major incidents. Most of the time I hear DEP officers running 10-27s, 10-28s, 10-29s in the parks. That's NOTHING different than troopers or FWC officers do! DEP's land and water functions coincide with FWC's so much there really is no need for these two agencies to co-exist. Merge them! :cop:

08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I listen on the radio and hear how many water calls get 10-39'd to FWC by DEP; that includes major incidents. Most of the time I hear DEP officers running 10-27s, 10-28s, 10-29s in the parks. That's NOTHING different than troopers or FWC officers do! DEP's land and water functions coincide with FWC's so much there really is no need for these two agencies to co-exist. Merge them! :cop:

I agree, merge em

08-31-2009, 06:13 PM

so many post on the fhp board are not from real troopers but idiot kids