PDA

View Full Version : Newest deputy-prisoner

05-03-2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.theledger.com/article/200805 ... 338/NEWS00 (http://www.theledger.com/article/20080503/NEWS/568102421/1338/NEWS00)

Deputy Jailed for Sex With Inmate
Donald Kurns Jr. admitted to the incident, according to Polk County Sheriff's Office.
By Shoshana Walter
The Ledger

BARTOW | A Polk County Jail detention deputy was booked into the jail Friday after he was arrested for having sex with an inmate, the Polk County Sheriff's Office said.

Donald Kurns Jr., 40, was charged with committing a sexual battery on a victim over 12 years of age.

He resigned Friday after more than 14 years as a detention deputy, the Sheriff's Office said.

Kurns admitted to the one-time incident and described the sex as consensual, his arrest report said.

The inmate said she did not want to have sex with Kurns but that she went along with it because she was afraid of losing her 'trusty' status, which enables an inmate to earn gain time and be released from jail earlier than the full sentence. Only inmates who have been charged with misdemeanors and exhibit good behavior are allowed to become trustys, sheriff's spokeswoman Carrie Rodgers said.

Consensual or not, Rodgers said the charge is a battery because detention deputies have control and power over inmates, and a Florida statute prohibits jail employees from having sex with inmates. The Sheriff's Office also does not allow personal relationships, romantic or friendly, between inmates or former inmates and employees, Rodgers said.

Kurns used his power of authority as a detention deputy to persuade the sexual contact, the report said.

After the inmate became a trusty at the end of March, Kurns began telling her he would put her back in the general population, meaning she would lose the opportunity to shorten her sentence, the report said.

Along with the threats, the report said, Kurns also began making sexual comments, grabbing the inmate's buttocks and telling her they were 'soft' like 'Charmin.'

One day in mid-April, the report said, Kurns told the inmate he was interested in oral sex and motioned for the inmate to follow him into the staff bathroom.

'Come into my office,' Kurns said, according to the report.

The inmate told detectives that Kurns then performed oral sex on her in a bathroom stall, while Kurns said that the inmate performed oral sex on him, according to the report.

Both said that the two then had sex.

Kurns made sexual advances toward the inmate two more times, the report said. Both times the inmate left the bathroom, which she is responsible for cleaning, before it went further, the report said.

Rodgers said the inmate has been moved to another jail in a neighboring county.
Kurns is one of many detention deputies arrested in recent years on serious charges ranging from battery and solicitation to smuggling contraband and disclosing confidential criminal justice information.

In 2006, one deputy was arrested and charged with offering money and sex in exchange for prescription painkillers.

[ Shoshana Walter can be reached at 863-802-7590 or shoshana.walter@theledger.com. ]

05-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I dont think this will be the last person to come forward and say they had sex with Kurns. Figured I would say that before it was in the newspaper.

05-05-2008, 12:10 AM
I dont think this will be the last person to come forward and say they had sex with Kurns. Figured I would say that before it was in the newspaper.

Sounds like Grady is still cleaning house...good for him.

FAST5-0
05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Well another lump for us that are in the trenches....And another lump for PCSO. Wish you guys the best! Keep your headas up!

05-06-2008, 02:57 PM
hey, who needs a jury when our co workers say we are guilty!!!! nice to know we stick by our friends in times of need. nice to know we dont judge someone based on the media.

05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
chief,

based on the article he admitted to doing it. he forfeited his presumption of innocence when he confessed.

05-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Does anyone have a body count on how many of our d/s have been 1015'ed say in the last calender year. I've lost count!

05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
so you were there when he confessed at bci? you obviously know the circumstances behind the confession as well?

05-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Either way, he crossed that line that youre not supposed to as a Law enforcement officer, regardless of Law or Detention.

Hope she/it was worth it. Because it lost him his job, reputation, friends, etc

05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
no, i wasn't present for the confession. my guess would be they held his pension as a bargaining chip. i liked him from the few times i dealt with him but he crossed the line.

05-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Does anyone have a body count on how many of our d/s have been 1015'ed say in the last calender year. I've lost count!

This one isn't yours but he is a cop, too. It seems like we're losing one per week.

http://www.theledger.com/article/200805 ... 338/NEWS00 (http://www.theledger.com/article/20080510/NEWS/805100403/1338/NEWS00)

Lewd Text Messages Led to Officer's Arrest
By Bill Bair

LAKE WALES | It was text messages on cellular telephones that led to the filing of sex-related charges against a Lake Wales police officer who had been the coordinator of a department cadet program involving high school students.

Robert Hendrix, 25, was charged by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement with "use of an electronic device to seduce a child" and "traveling to meet a minor," which are third- and second-degree felonies.

Police Chief Herbert Gillis said other charges are possible.

Hendrix remains in the Polk County Jail. He faces a maximum of 20 years in prison on the two charges if convicted.

Gillis said the FDLE subpoenaed phone records after witnesses told police they had seen Hendrix and the girl, who was then 16, kissing Jan. 21 in the Olive Garden in Winter Haven.

Some of the text messages included in the arrest affidavit were written on Jan. 20 and describe in detail what Hendrix planned to do with the girl and the girl's encouraging reaction. They are written with the abbreviations of text messaging.

"U hav the sexiest body I have ever seen. I love you I want you really bad," Hendrix said in one of the cleaner messages.

After leaving the Olive Garden, Hendrix paid $140 in cash to rent a room at a nearby Best Western Admiral's Inn, the affidavit said.

The following day he text-messaged the girl that he had "spent hours in da bed w da girl of my dreams last night and I'm so happy!"

The affidavit said the student involved had refused to cooperate with the investigation and denied communicating with Hendrix.

Hendrix had been with the department since January 2004 and was paid $39,574 annually.

Following his arrest Thursday, he was immediately suspended, without pay.

"The Lake Wales Police Department will not tolerate misconduct," Gillis said. "Any evidence of misconduct will result in certain disciplinary action."

Hendrix had been the coordinator of the cadet program until October.

According to the affidavit, "the cadet program allows high school students interested in a career in law enforcement to accompany law enforcement officers as they carry out their duties."

The affidavit said "the victim accompanied the defendant on numerous occasions as part of the Police Cadet ride along program."

Hendrix's involvement in the program ended in October, after his house was burned down. At the time, Hendrix also was involved in the department's street crimes unit.

Gillis said there is also an "ongoing" investigation involving the fire.

At the time of the fire, Hendrix said he returned home to find someone had spray-painted gang graffiti inside his garage.

Hendrix said he sent his wife and three children to stay with relatives for the night after the vandalism was discovered.

Shortly after midnight the fire was started, apparently in the garage area, Kevin Shireman of the State Fire Marshall's Office said at the time.

Shireman said the fire was "classified as an arson."

Since the fire, Hendrix has been on administrative duty in the Police Department.

Following the fire, about $3,500 in cash, plus other donations, were given to Hendrix by residents of the community and members of various law enforcement agencies, according to his personnel file.

The file contains two commendations for Hendrix, who was named the Veterans of Foreign Wars' Officer of the Year for 2005.

Hendrix was commended in November 2007 for working with two other officers in solving an armed robbery that had occurred at the Kentucky Fried Chicken. The investigation resulted in four arrests.

In June 2006 Hendrix was commended for making 52 criminal arrests, one warrant arrest and issuing 69 traffic citations during a three-month period.

In May 2006 he was reprimanded for violating department policy by not ending a vehicle chase after losing radio communications with the department.

Hendrix last performance review, written in December 2006, gave him high marks, saying he was "always ready to help other officers" and was "highly self motivated."

[ Bill Bair can be reached at bill.bair@theledger.com or 863-676-7118. ]

05-10-2008, 06:44 PM
We work with criminals everyday. We certainly dont need them sitting in our briefings and driving the back up car behind us. They knew better and deserve everything they get and lose. You will not find any pity here for them. To those who are tasked to do the investigations on them ... keep up the good work. No one hates a crooked cop worse than a good one.

05-27-2008, 12:16 PM
I think the jail sex sounds HOT!! Is that wrong? chicka-bow- chicka-bow-bow.
I have "negotiated" myself out of tickets twice now in Polk county. Now, much like Pavlov's dogs, Blue lights give me a warm tingeling special feeling. Keep IT UP!! :twisted:

05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
hey retard you can be tracked down by your computer. if your saying a deputy had some sort of relations with you to keep you from getting a ticket youll be getting a knock on your door so be prepared to back it up. this site is watched by officials who track us down by our ip adress. :oops: :oops:

05-28-2008, 05:31 PM
is that like room service?