PDA

View Full Version : Pay Parity-

04-30-2008, 06:33 PM
As one of the last agencies around not to offer pay parity, and being it is an accreditation requirement I think the Sheriff should implement a five year plan to start transitioning it. This would allow it to be done in increments, which would help it be absorbed into the budget. Being they will be modifying the pay scales when the PBA gets voted out, this is a good time to do this.

2007-2008 fiscal year Sgt and above (this year)
2008-2009 fiscal year Cpls and step 11 deputies
2009-2010 fiscal year step 8-10 deputies
2010-2011 fiscal year step 5-7 deputies
2011-2012 fiscal year step 1-4 deputies

05-01-2008, 12:54 AM
As one of the last agencies around not to offer pay parity, and being it is an accreditation requirement I think the Sheriff should implement a five year plan to start transitioning it. This would allow it to be done in increments, which would help it be absorbed into the budget. Being they will be modifying the pay scales when the PBA gets voted out, this is a good time to do this.

You've got it backwards. The first to get pay parity should be the new deputies. This will facilitate recruitment. The biggest problem is a shortage of personnel, which can only be solved by recruitment. Then do the rest in the reverse of the order you have listed.

05-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Please take this to a detention forum. Yes, there is one!

05-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Bite me

05-01-2008, 04:19 AM
Nice comment. It was a simple request and now you want to call attention to your mentality. I wasn't being rude or demeaning towards your profession. It was merely a suggestion that you discuss this on a forum on the detention site!

05-01-2008, 05:47 AM
Nice comment. It was a simple request and now you want to call attention to your mentality. I wasn't being rude or demeaning towards your profession. It was merely a suggestion that you discuss this on a forum on the detention site!

Bite me not being rude just making a request.

05-01-2008, 12:53 PM
You've got it backwards. The first to get pay parity should be the new deputies. This will facilitate recruitment. The biggest problem is a shortage of personnel, which can only be solved by recruitment. Then do the rest in the reverse of the order you have listed.

That would creat a pay compression problem. That is why you have to work from the top down, however I see your point.

05-01-2008, 12:59 PM

There is no HCSO Detention site. There is a statewide Detention site. This is an HCSO issue.

This site is not exclusive to LEOs, It is an open forum to ALL of Hillsbororough County Sheriff Office Deputies and employees.

Here is an idea, being pay parity would be a detention issue, stay out of the issue. The thread title alone should have told you it was not a law enforcement issue.

Based on your logic, SRD and FTO cannot post here either because they have their own site.

Now, if you don't mind, we would prefer to discuss the issue with grownups.

05-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Please help me understand why you think the boss would do this? Why would he give detention parity? Why do you think he do this if the union was not pushing the issue? During contract talks the hcso said that they have naver even discussed parity until the union brought it up during the last contract talks. Your union goes away, so does this issue. Like the union or not, you are not LEO'S and the hcso will never treat you like a LEO. You are detention, different, you need a union to bring your issues to the front. Vote it out and we return to same same. You made headway with the first contract, the boss saw that and now he wants you to quit the union. YOU can, Tuff this out, fight this fight, an act like a Detention Deputy or belly up and take what you get, this year and next year and the year after, ask someone who has been around awhile.

05-01-2008, 01:24 PM

There is no HCSO Detention site. There is a statewide Detention site. This is an HCSO issue.

This site is not exclusive to LEOs, It is an open forum to ALL of Hillsbororough County Sheriff Office Deputies and employees.

Here is an idea, being pay parity would be a detention issue, stay out of the issue. The thread title alone should have told you it was not a law enforcement issue.

Based on your logic, SRD and FTO cannot post here either because they have their own site.

Now, if you don't mind, we would prefer to discuss the issue with grownups.

Well said.

There is also a place for retirees to post, but it is also not exclusively for HCSO. So we often get posts from retirees - Elliot Parsowith and Carl Shawver come to mind - who make interesting and valuable posts.

There IS a LEO only site on the board. Perhaps the complainer should do all of his reading over there. Of course it is not a HCSO only site.

:lol:

05-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Why, because it’s an accreditation requirement. The sheriff’s office created a plan to make it happen during the last accreditation inspection, but never implemented it. Let’s make it happen and come into compliance with CALEA standards.

Now, there seems to be some confusion with you. Wanting to get paid the same as a Road deputy does not make me think I am a road deputy. No offense, but becoming a road deputy is not exactly a monumental life achievement anymore than becoming a detention deputy. Two different jobs, but none the less my job clearly has less job satisfaction and continuous stress, which is affirmed by the turnover rate and recruitment issues. If you think getting locked in a room with 72 inmates for 12 hours is not stressful, you clearly have never done it. I have no gun, No ECD, no bullet proof vest, when it breaks out I am in the middle of it, not in a car miles away waiting on the call to come in.
So yes, I would agree with CALEA, that I should get paid as much as you. No, I’m not a road deputy, but every other county pays road deputies the same as jail deputies. What do you think the logic behind that is?

Lastly, the road voted in a union and got the same benefit as detention, no more, no less. You voted it out, we will do the same as soon as we get the chance (My prediction). I am not sure what argument you are attempting to make with it.

05-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Which CALEA rule number is it?

05-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Everyone take a deep breath and wait....The Sheriff is trying to get parity pay...For the last couple of years the gap has gotten closer and closer....Just check out the Detention Sergeants recent pay raises. They are not at the patrol's yet but not far off...It is not going to happen overnight..

Once the Union is out, things will get better...There will be no more whining, crying and threats to go to impasse and just do that...There will be no more motions to stay elections....

The Sheriff can get er done, if you just give him a chance...Be patient and let things play out...

If he doesn't then vote the Sheriff out and bring back the union, if you think it is so much better....The only thing a Union in Florida does is bring headaches, aggravation and a wall between the boss and his workers...This isn't New York and the Unions do not have any "cajones" down here...They don't work!

Give the Sheriff his chance

05-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Everyone take a deep breath and wait....The Sheriff is trying to get parity pay...For the last couple of years the gap has gotten closer and closer....Just check out the Detention Sergeants recent pay raises. They are not at the patrol's yet but not far off...It is not going to happen overnight..

Once the Union is out, things will get better...There will be no more whining, crying and threats to go to impasse and just do that...There will be no more motions to stay elections....

The Sheriff can get er done, if you just give him a chance...Be patient and let things play out...

If he doesn't then vote the Sheriff out and bring back the union, if you think it is so much better....The only thing a Union in Florida does is bring headaches, aggravation and a wall between the boss and his workers...This isn't New York and the Unions do not have any "cajones" down here...They don't work!

You forgot to mention this office has no unity among the staff either. Its dog eat dog and every person for them self. We are not cops we are expected to do things the political way i.e. , do not charge a handycapped person with a crime. We are also ordered to snitch on anyone who breaks a RULE. Not a crime a RULE.

05-02-2008, 02:34 AM
If you want parity, I want shift differential!

05-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Is there a forum for FTO? Where?

05-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Got my letter in the mail of how great things will be when the union is voted out, says the sheriff is working on pay parity for us....horay

05-02-2008, 10:05 PM
If you want parity, I want shift differential!

I hope you get it. That means we will too. :D

05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Got my letter in the mail of how great things will be when the union is voted out, says the sheriff is working on pay parity for us....horay

And you believe everything he said...keep dreaming if you think he his going to come through for you...

05-03-2008, 01:40 AM

dude you are smoking crack, the office said they had never even thought about parity until this contract talk, those were col. terry's words.

detention sgt's pay raise, they aint got squat yet! patient we have heard this for over twenty five years, patient this, dope.

i have given four sheriff's 28 years, bull crap, this aint no rook your trying to blow smoke up. pound sand!