PDA

View Full Version : Tinted Windows?

04-26-2008, 10:33 PM
What is the problem with having tinted windows? This is Florida? Oh ya, it will also conceal "things" inside the vehicle that you don't want people to see....One area will have them and another won't....

05-03-2008, 08:17 PM
How about the option for allowing the LEO to purchase it on their own? Buy in...and that whole morale thing.

05-04-2008, 12:04 AM
In years past, in some areas of the state FWC paid for window tint... In other areas FWC allowed window tint at the officer's expense.

The last word from GHQ was; We don't want window tint because it makes the officer less approachable.

Gray Rider
05-04-2008, 11:39 PM
One down side of tint is that when we in our PV slow down to see if you are OK we can not tell. Then we have to judge by the activity in the suspects vehicle. Sometimes there is no visable activity in either vehicle. Hmmm?

05-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Even w/ the low pay, I would be willing to purchase it myself.

05-07-2008, 02:18 AM
lt,
that doesn't make any sense. first of all, if there are people in the subject's vehicle, then the officer shouldn't be sitting in his patrol truck. as officers, we are taught to get out of the vehicle and stay out of it on a traffic stop. it can be a death trap if the suspect makes his way back to it and you are inside. (reaction time)
second, if you were in your personal vehicle and thought that something was wrong and pulled up to "see if I'm ok," i would be wondering why a random second vehicle was pulling up behind me. It would distract me from my suspect vehicle.

i agree with tinting. it is damn hot in florida. i heard someone higher up say that the factory tint is enough to prevent skin cancer. i'd like to see some research on that because i have a hard time believing it.
Plus it would be nice if people couldn't see if i was in my truck. maybe that way i could do some surveillance without ten different people walking up to my window asking stupid questions while i watch my case get away from me. don't get me wrong, i love to talk to the public, but sometimes it can be a little distracting if i've got something going on that i need to keep my eyes on.

Gray Rider
05-08-2008, 09:38 PM
If in a PV would you rather we blow on by rather than check on you if we can't tell whats going on with the stop? Can you not get a behavioral clue from the manner of approach and 2 flashes, thin blue line or FOP front plate?

Does your opinion reflect the majority of FWC or just you?

05-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Gray Rider,

When in your personal vehicle and you want to make sure a Deputy/Officer/Trooper is ok on a traffic stop, pull off somewhere ahead of them (not too close) and observe from a distance. If something doesn't look right, call 911.

If you see something that causes you to become involved, have your ID and badge readily visible and be prepared that the Deputy/Officer/Trooper may have reservations about you and your ID.

I would never recommend pulling behind a Deputy/Officer/Trooper or 2 flashes even with a thin blue line or FOP plate.

It's a different world nowadays...

06-10-2008, 06:30 AM
One down side of tint is that when we in our PV slow down to see if you are OK we can not tell. Then we have to judge by the activity in the suspects vehicle. Sometimes there is no visable activity in either vehicle. Hmmm?

Rider,
Tinted windows are an excellent idea and I'm darn glad I have them on my patrol vehicle. It took years before the old way of thinking got out of the way and we were finally allowed to have it...FWC expense. It costs very little and does allot. It conceals our "stuff" so would -be theives can't see whats inside. Plus, it protects the dashboard and interior from ultra violent sun ray damage. It helps to keep the vehicle cooler and that sure is appreciated on hot Florida days. There are more positives than negatives on window tint. An officer has to learn to deal with working alone. We dont have the luxury of backup like SO's do or FHP has. Like the one guys said, if you suspect something is wrong...call 911. Pull over and observe from a distance. You will know right quick like if something aint right. Now, in the last year or so, I hear the same negatives about window tint and that FWC will not pay for it anymore. One year you can, the next you can't. I remember when only K9 vehicles could have it. I vote we be allowed to have it on our vehicles from now on. No reason to discuss it anymore. It saves money in the long run and it gives the officer a little more comfort. Oh, by the way....I darn sure love the nerf bars on my truck too! Its much easier getting in and out of my pickup. I am older now and appreciate the little things like tinted windows and step up bars that make my job a little more bearable.

06-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Definately, don't pull up behind a patrol vehicle on a 10-50 w/ tinted windows and stay in your vehicle. You may find yourself in an akward position. As a previous post stated, it is a different world today, and I am going home at the end of the shift.