PDA

View Full Version : Lost Jobs?

04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
SSO posted that some of our people have been demoted and layed off today? Do any of us know what's going on??????? :?: :?: :?:

04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Two lieutenants will be demoted to sergeant; five sergeants being demoted to patrol; communications captain is terminated; professional standards captain to leave in October; sergeant positions in criminalistics, training and support services are eliminated; PIO gone as is one vacant sergeant position.

04-16-2008, 11:57 PM
every division has been effected. Every squad is getting a new sgt. Its only the begining. Bartolotta stated today that the next cuts will come in the areas of health care and pensions.

04-17-2008, 04:14 AM
Can he really cut pensions that persons are already drawing or are vested?

g man
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Just read the article in the Herald rag. It is too bad you have two rookie administrators holding the gavel over your heads. The Chief was never a cop and this pear you got a City Hall is a joke. Good luck guys and gals. Keep your heads down because you don’t have any backing from your top administrators. I hope the PBA can work something out but who knows. Their going to save money over the next couple of years but the adverse affect of these bonehead moves want be felt for about five years or so when you have to start building your department back to where it is today

04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Who got demoted?

04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes, pensions can be trimmed for certain employees who aren't vested yet. Those who are already vested are safe.

04-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Hey thanks for responding with the info. Geez, who knew. The community, the Chief, and City Hall not supporting cops!

04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
:D o well life goes on 8)

04-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Your union is attempting to meet with the city to offer alternatives to demotions....I dont think Mr. Bartolotta is receptive to not getting his way. And your chief doesnt seem to be helping the cause by allowing his right hand man to run with this......I thought cops were close.....? The city is looking at nothing but the bottom line....and we have commissioners who dont see the big picture...What a shame.

04-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Cops are close. Some administrators are close to each other.

04-30-2008, 08:14 PM
As far as adjusting the pensions for those of us that are not vested, does anyone know what they (the City) can do as far as changes? Obviously it will not be in our interest, I was under the impression that they will be able to change the pension for "new hires" but if you signed on for a certain pension then thats what you are locked in at, much the the insurance issue back in the 90's. Any ideas or insight??????

05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
As far as adjusting the pensions for those of us that are not vested, does anyone know what they (the City) can do as far as changes? Obviously it will not be in our interest, I was under the impression that they will be able to change the pension for "new hires" but if you signed on for a certain pension then thats what you are locked in at, much the the insurance issue back in the 90's. Any ideas or insight??????
You're not locked into any pension unless you're "vested." Even then, then can cash you out (if they need to). When the Sarasota County fire department absorbed the Sarasota City fire department, those who weren't vested automatically went into the Florida Retirement System (FRS).