PDA

View Full Version : PBA Rate

04-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Am I missing something, or did the people in the PBA raise the rates again without telling someone.

NuKar
04-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Mine went up 50 cents and I was not aware either until you mentioned it.

mastrine
04-16-2008, 12:32 AM
It's been posted on our board in the station. :arrow: $1 increase.

04-16-2008, 02:02 AM
To the poster "Stunned" over a raise in the PBA dues w/o his or her knowledge..........It's amazing how you can come onto this forum and refer to brother officers who represent all of us through the PBA and call them names. That is a term often referred to some of those people that we have to contend with on the street that do not deserve much better than that. But, to call someone that who has chosen the same profession, probably paid more dues (financially and otherwise) in their career than you have, may need you to save their life or would be there to save yours someday, just doesn't make any sense.

One of two situations exists with you. Either you've been here long enough to have benefitted from the contract that they have ratified, or you haven't been here long enough to appreciate what they've done for you and the entire membership and, thus, you should keep your inexperienced mouth shut.

If you were a person of any character, or any backbone whatsoever, you would put your name to a message that calls other LEO's names. The reason you cannot is because you are on a list for a spine donor and you don't have the fortitude to stand up the right way and be heard. This forum is no place for "cowards" whom find that they must cast stones in a hurtful and destructive way, while "hiding" behind some shield of anonymity because they are "afraid" of being discovered.

04-16-2008, 02:31 AM
Guest 212, I don't see your name on your post either...

04-16-2008, 02:58 AM
To the poster "Stunned" over a raise in the PBA dues w/o his or her knowledge..........It's amazing how you can come onto this forum and refer to brother officers who represent all of us through the PBA and call them names. That is a term often referred to some of those people that we have to contend with on the street that do not deserve much better than that. But, to call someone that who has chosen the same profession, probably paid more dues (financially and otherwise) in their career than you have, may need you to save their life or would be there to save yours someday, just doesn't make any sense.

One of two situations exists with you. Either you've been here long enough to have benefitted from the contract that they have ratified, or you haven't been here long enough to appreciate what they've done for you and the entire membership and, thus, you should keep your inexperienced mouth shut.

If you were a person of any character, or any backbone whatsoever, you would put your name to a message that calls other LEO's names. The reason you cannot is because you are on a list for a spine donor and you don't have the fortitude to stand up the right way and be heard. This forum is no place for "cowards" whom find that they must cast stones in a hurtful and destructive way, while "hiding" behind some shield of anonymity because they are "afraid" of being discovered.

Gezzzzz, He didn't call the reps names. He must have struck a nerve. Since I'm on the subject though, why is it that hardly any of our "brother officers who represent all of us through the PBA" aren't even showing up for the union meetings?

04-16-2008, 05:38 AM
Why would "Guest 212" need to post their name to what they wrote? They do not seem to be the one calling fellow officers names. Did you miss the point of why someone should put their name to that message?

To the last poster.......If STUNNED wasn't calling them names then who was the name calling directed at? Are you sure you read the message? Why would you down play something like that? Is not being present at a meeting justification for that kind of name calling? Your message seems to support that idea.

Guest 212........You need to lighten up just a bit and consider going to "anger management" class. We may need to get you to EAP as well so that you can surf this forum a little more effectively without getting so angry. WOW!

04-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but what "name" did he call the PBA Reps? He asked if the people at PBA raised the rates again without telling anyone. Where is the name calling in that statement?

04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Water management sticking it to the citizens with rate hikes, insurance companies get their "lions" share of the scam, the oil companies rape us with gas prices, our property taxes are way off target and one of the worst in the nation, the price of food is sky-rocketing and now the PBA before you know it all of these dollars built up turns over dust in the bank account, JEEEEZ give me a break... I'm sure some supervisor will say leave then, how about you do some work for once in your career

04-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Water management sticking it to the citizens with rate hikes, insurance companies get their "lions" share of the scam, the oil companies rape us with gas prices, our property taxes are way off target and one of the worst in the nation, the price of food is sky-rocketing and now the PBA before you know it all of these dollars built up turns over dust in the bank account, JEEEEZ give me a break...I'm sure some supervisor will say leave then, how about you do some work for once in your career

YA, I THINK WE ARE GOING TO FIND A LOT OF GOOD PEOPLE AND DEPUTIES LEAVING THIS AREA WITHIN THE NEXT FEW YEARS, IT'S GOTTEN OUT OF HAND HERE. YOU CAN GET RETIREMENT IN OTHER STATES OR GO MORE NORTH FLORIDA. YOU CAN COUNT ON MORE INCREASES IN OTHER SUBJECTS IN THE FUTURE.

04-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Why would "Guest 212" need to post their name to what they wrote? They do not seem to be the one calling fellow officers names. Did you miss the point of why someone should put their name to that message?

To the last poster.......If STUNNED wasn't calling them names then who was the name calling directed at? Are you sure you read the message? Why would you down play something like that? Is not being present at a meeting justification for that kind of name calling? Your message seems to support that idea.

Guest 212........You need to lighten up just a bit and consider going to "anger management" class. We may need to get you to EAP as well so that you can surf this forum a little more effectively without getting so angry. WOW!

Voice of Reason, the only thing that stunned said was... Well, if I say it, MOD362 will remove it again.
Let me put it this way. If you had a bag and you put scum in it, what would you have?
That's all he said and he didn't make any reference towards LEO union reps like Guest 212 seems to think.

04-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Shouldn't there be some form of democracy represented in the way the PBA is run. There should have been some justification and/or reason for the raise in dues, but as we all know when it comes to any of the finances of the PBA; everything is sealed and claimed to be confidential. If there was a reasonable need for the hike is dues, it would be proper and professional to let the membership know and then outline the plans for how, where and who our dues are going to spent on. If it smells like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, then it's a stinkin' duck; what we have here ladies and gentlemen is a cover-up and conspiracy goiong on with the finances of the PBA, but this is just a 1st amendment opinion of a free citizen exercising my rights guaranteed under the US Constitution. They increase our gass allowance, dues, prescription rates, senior deputies get little or almost no raises while a brand new deputy makes equal practically the pay of a 8-year veteran and then the PBA peep's get special overtime allowances and if your vacation time goes above the max rate at the end of the year, the PBA gets the time; Jeeze this kinda sounds like the way the old Soviet Union scammed and exploited its people. Compute all of the unannounced hikes and "special assessments" as they call them in Florida and any raise is eaten up and dissolved. Can you say it's time for change in the leadership that represents its membership as a whole and not individual self-interests...

04-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Why is E. G. still being paid?
How can K receive a Union salary and a PBSO salary?
How can K objectively represent deputies if there is an association/link to politics involving the election of the Sheriff?
How can K pick or be selective in backing certain grievances?
How can the PBA take employee extra-vacation time and bank it for their profits? Why not just pay the employee in a quarterly pay out.
If the Sheriff dictates who is assigned to the PBA (IE: Ks' position), then do we really have collective bargaining or does it just look good on paper?
Does K answer to the Sheriff or the membership first, and is his position clearly defined in policy or under an agreement with specifics?
How can the PBA raise membership dues without a vote?
Maybe the raise in dues was one of those pork amendments to the contract like the Washington bureaucrats do for special interests in DC. You don't hear about it until it goes into affect.
How can K employ family members to PBA jobs and dictate their salary and benefits?
How can K not allow issues not to be raised during membership meetings? He should be prepared to answer any question and the membership should not be required to provide the question/issue in advance so he can decide not to address it. He has a duty and responsibility to be held accountable to the membership and an open forum is a fundamental practice of represenative democracy. There should be no question he is not prepared for.
Has anyone been "kicked out" of the union during K's reign? and why?
In addition to the operating finances of the PBA, where are the logs/books on petty cash spending and are there justifications of how this money is spent, do logs indicate the reason and amount of money spent and who has routine access to these funds or who has the most petty cash expenditures?
If there are more benefits to Ks' position other that his PBSO salary, then is this considered a promotional upgrade and why is there no competition for the job like a promotional process? Can other people apply or does it require the approval of the Sheriff alone and how can this be in the employees best interest? why isn't there a term limit. Doesn't this breed chroni-ism?
If K gets an expense account why don't agents and detectives get a clothing allowance?
Why are we with only the Florida PBA and not associated with the national PBA, did something happen in Florida where the relationship was severed kind of like the insurance companies do with having "Florida State Farm, Florida AllState"?

04-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Maybe if our Reps did their jobs and attended the meetings, members would know whats going on!! And the Reps that due attend should be passing along the information to members in their district.

Dues are raised once a year, every year normally $2. The PBA is giving us all a break due to the economy and only increasing the dues $1.00. People... pay attention, stop whining about how bad they are and appreciate that it's not more!!

04-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Maybe if our Reps did their jobs and attended the meetings, members would know whats going on!! And the Reps that due attend should be passing along the information to members in their district.

Dues are raised once a year, every year normally $2. The PBA is giving us all a break due to the economy and only increasing the dues $1.00. People... pay attention, stop whining about how bad they are and appreciate that it's not more!!

People will never be satisfied. I'm a proud member of the PBA

04-22-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm also a proud member of the PBA and very pro-union, but the one thing I have a problem with is, K is employed as a PBSO SGT, being paid a SGT's salary and yet I've never seen the guy in a uniform or work the road other than on an old episode of COPS! Does every other union rep in the other agencies have an office at PBA and don't work the road? I don't think so. So why is he special? Who decided he was the rep for all agencies? Maybe I'm missing something, Someone explain to me what I'm missing.

04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm also a proud member of the PBA and very pro-union, but the one thing I have a problem with is, K is employed as a PBSO SGT, being paid a SGT's salary and yet I've never seen the guy in a uniform or work the road other than on an old episode of COPS! Does every other union rep in the other agencies have an office at PBA and don't work the road? I don't think so. So why is he special? Who decided he was the rep for all agencies? Maybe I'm missing something, Someone explain to me what I'm missing.

Yes, you are mising something. If you all would get more involved with the PBA you would learn that K was voted President by ALL the dept REPS. Not us. He will be the Prez as long as the REPS keep electing him. He doesn't even have to run for a PBSO position any more. So don't think that you're going to vote him out. And who really cares if he gave his wife a job? During this contract we'll get 28 1/2 percent pay raise. 5% COLA each year and 4 1/2 step. For that kinda money I'll pick the guy up at his house every morning and drive him to the PBA office. I think that most of the negativity posted on here towards him are nothing but pure jealousy. Sure, he gets paid from PBSO, with 2 hours of OT a week, plus he gets 5% assignment pay for ERD. He also get paid a salary from PBA along with a expense account and a vehicle allowance. Again, WHO CARES?? Worry about what we get, not what other people get.

04-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Let me get this right: The union rep's vote for Kaz, yet most of them never show up for the meetings. Whoever created that form of a voting system surely designed it to undermine the voting process. The membership should vote for the President, period, and the rep's should act just like the Senate or Congress to keep the Executive Branch in check. Could you imagine if the US Senate and Congress voted our President into office each time, we'd have a stinkin' dictatorship or do we have one now in the PBA. This voting system if flawed and the crumbs you get thrown from the President's table just pay you off to ignore any wrong-doing. Not for nothing, but we need a fair voting system.

04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Let me get this right: The union rep's vote for Kaz, yet most of them never show up for the meetings. Whoever created that form of a voting system surely designed it to undermine the voting process. The membership should vote for the President, period, and the rep's should act just like the Senate or Congress to keep the Executive Branch in check. Could you imagine if the US Senate and Congress voted our President into office each time, we'd have a stinkin' dictatorship or do we have one now in the PBA. This voting system if flawed and the crumbs you get thrown from the President's table just pay you off to ignore any wrong-doing. Not for nothing, but we need a fair voting system.

Not just PBSO union reps, but reps from every agency covered by PBA in Palm Beach, Martin County, and FAU PD.

Furthermore, there are other elected members at the PBA who are still getting paid by local agencies. Their members include officers from Delray Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, and West Palm Beach all of whom are great guys. Whether you like K or not, he was elected by the reps, and with his position he is allowed to hold both a job and a position at the PBA. It would be the same for any other city agency.

04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I am sure Kaz has a tough job to do and it invloved a lot of hob-nobbing with the big shots.....my biggest problem with kaz is the demeaning and dismissing way he treats people when they bring up a topic he doesnt agree with, and the unfair way grievences are addressed within the PBA.

04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
I am sure Kaz has a tough job to do and it invloved a lot of hob-nobbing with the big shots.....my biggest problem with kaz is the demeaning and dismissing way he treats people when they bring up a topic he doesnt agree with, and the unfair way grievences are addressed within the PBA.

Duhhh... He's from Boston. A Red Sox fan to boot. What did you expect?

07-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Am I missing something, or did the people in the PBA raise the rates again without telling someone.

Yes , Kaz need's new golf clubs , come on now , you know these things have to be paid for some way , why not the troops , yea!

07-25-2008, 02:55 AM
I heard the previous PBA Prez had an office full of sets of clubs. Is that a job requirement?

07-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Nobody goes to the meetings because if they try to voice their opinion, KAZ either yells at them and tells them "if you don't like it, too bad", or my personal favorite "how long have you been working here, your id number is higher than 5000, you need to suck it up like we did". Kaz claims to represent everyone, but in reality its only a select few that benefit from his policies. Overall, I feel that the PBA is still a good thing, but Kaz and his boys NEED TO GO! Another issue I've always had is if you go to a meeting and have a legitimate gripe about something, you are basically complaining to the Sgt's, LT's, and even a Captain who are always present at the meetings. Don't think for a second that they don't remember who you are, and will basically blacklist you from any advancement opportunity or specialty assignment. Bottom line, we need to notify PBA national board about Kaz and the boys antics.....afterall it is OUR union

07-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Nobody goes to the meetings because if they try to voice their opinion, KAZ either yells at them and tells them "if you don't like it, too bad", or my personal favorite "how long have you been working here, your id number is higher than 5000, you need to suck it up like we did". Kaz claims to represent everyone, but in reality its only a select few that benefit from his policies. Overall, I feel that the PBA is still a good thing, but Kaz and his boys NEED TO GO! Another issue I've always had is if you go to a meeting and have a legitimate gripe about something, you are basically complaining to the Sgt's, LT's, and even a Captain who are always present at the meetings. Don't think for a second that they don't remember who you are, and will basically blacklist you from any advancement opportunity or specialty assignment. Bottom line, we need to notify PBA national board about Kaz and the boys antics.....afterall it is OUR union

I love it how everyone crys about everything, but does nothing about it. You say "WE" need to notify the PBA National Board? Have you done this yourself?
Let me guess your answer... "No, because I'm afraid I'll get kicked out of the union".

Whaaa Whaaaa Whaaaaaa, If your so unhappy, man up and do something (other then try to convince someone else to do it for you)!

07-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm a former Deputy who had my IA investigated by a Sgt who I recently found out that he only worked road patrol for year before being assigned to IA. This Sgt came from corrections! This is my issue the investigator stated opionion instead FACT and also stated that he FEELS that the actions I took to protect myself was not warranted. But his never experienced any ROAD PATROL SITUATIONS!!!!! When I asked for the PBA for help in looking further into this report I was told be lucky that you have Cert. and the Sheriff can basiclly do what he wants even if there is a issue with the investigators problem.

I left the PBA and have not been a member since after being a faithful one for 4 1/2 years.

I don't know it's just how PBA pretends to care for us and leave out to dry!!!

07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
BSO just got 3% for the next 3 years. That's what we will get for the next contract. Don't need no union to make that happen. Just watch.