PDA

View Full Version : WHAT DID THE CITIES AGREE TO PAY FOR COLA?

04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Can we see what the contract cities pay for our salary increases? Can the PBA send auditors to see what the cities agreed to pay us for a COLA? If they are paying 5% or 4%, or even 3.5% like Pompano's, can't we get an idea.

If it is already built into the city contracts and this is a public event, everyone should have access to see the contract which shows the increase.

I ask the PBA to look into this before we say yes.

04-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I believe the city contracts were signed by CKJ, which means if ther is any COLA it's probably only 3%.

04-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Except for the District One contract, which was signed and Negotiated by Lamberti. There is almost no COLA negotiated into that one. KJ was willing to let it go for what little money they were willing to pay. How would you like to work in a district that has lost half its staff over the last 2 years. Im sure those guys down there thank Lamberti everyday.

04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
The future of the Broward Sheriff's Office should strive for not just standardized low-cost policing, but in fact include provisions to which it provides Cost-of-Living adjustments as to keep inline with inflation and other cost factors.

While it is clear that cities do in fact save money using BSO, the answer will always be that Cost-of-Living remains a constant and that all cities are aware of the facts and must make amended changes to reflect their support in both their police and fire departments.

Educationally speaking, it is a matter of professional high-grade law enforcement, or low-pay and low-grade law enforcement. The cities will get what they pay for, and my hope is that BSO continues to strive for excellence in meeting terms that its professionals can work with and live within.

The aforementioned not only is prudent administering, but also provides for positive morale and increased performance over all. In addition, no city would want the cost of starting their own department if they could avoid it.

04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
About a year ago I was doing Graduate research into public budgeting. I was able to obtain contracts and budgets for several different districts. I was amazed to see how little the chiefs actually control in the district budget. Salaries, vehicles, fuel, training, etc are not in the district budgets. I asked a few XO's I knew how does BSO come up with the figures to determine how much it costs to run a district?

You have to remember that their are administrative costs also. Costs for Payroll administration, HR, Training, workman's comp., liability insurance, etc. Then you have to include auxillary services such as access to Downtown CI, SID, K9's, Pappa Units, and so on.

Well the XO put me in contact with someone in Budgeting downtown. The response... How BSO determines city costs is proprietary information, and they refused to release it.

04-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Except for the District One contract, which was signed and Negotiated by Lamberti. There is almost no COLA negotiated into that one. KJ was willing to let it go for what little money they were willing to pay. How would you like to work in a district that has lost half its staff over the last 2 years. Im sure those guys down there thank Lamberti everyday.

We like it here. You should know what you are talking about before you open the mouth. You know the Chief makes no secret about the contract. Anybody can see it. You know that too. You got your sweet gig so go away.

04-16-2008, 12:27 AM
About a year ago I was doing Graduate research into public budgeting. I was able to obtain contracts and budgets for several different districts. I was amazed to see how little the chiefs actually control in the district budget. Salaries, vehicles, fuel, training, etc are not in the district budgets. I asked a few XO's I knew how does BSO come up with the figures to determine how much it costs to run a district?

You have to remember that their are administrative costs also. Costs for Payroll administration, HR, Training, workman's comp., liability insurance, etc. Then you have to include auxillary services such as access to Downtown CI, SID, K9's, Pappa Units, and so on.

Well the XO put me in contact with someone in Budgeting downtown. The response... How BSO determines city costs is proprietary information, and they refused to release it.

In my humble opinion,

...ascertaining public records specifically when a city contracts for services is not a feat in completing. There are open records laws that define what the public can receive from public agencies. Therefore proprietary does not actually become a concern here unless they are protecting law enforcement sensitive issues within the budget they currently provide. Cause would have to be shown to a judge if the release of any public record was not made and most of this is covered under the Government-in-the-Sunshine laws which pertain to public records laws.

If your obstacle is public records then your best bet is to read up on Florida State Statutes Chapters 119 and 286.

Florida is perhaps the most supported by the people for access to open records by government. And while it may seem that looking at actual audits would confuse you, the actual board meetings held by individual cities when contemplating budgets are generally open to the public.

Should you have problems in learning why you cannot gain access to public records you have your right as a citizen to file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office in Tallahassee and request that your rights be protected under the law.

Depending on the answers you get, you'll have to decide if you want to litigate for non-compliance. Generally any public agency will provide you access to their records if a formal request is made in writing and appropriate postage and costs for copies are provided.

04-21-2008, 05:11 PM
bump

04-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Vote No on 3%.3%,3%, and lets show the Sheriff were not going to listen to his lies anymore.