PDA

View Full Version : Here's a budget idea...

04-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Ok, hear me out. Why not do away with the FHP all together instead of giving them raises? Every single road in the state is governed by either a city or county anyway, so those officers can do the reports. That's about all they do anyway is issue speeding tickets and patrol deserted highways. Some counties only have one or two troopers on patrol. Is that really benefitting anyone?

They are all trained and certified, so they WILL be employed with other agencies that have openings, and probably make more than they're making now. It's not like they'll all be hitting the unemployment line, right?

As for the vehicles, give them to us. Yup, that's right. We are going to soon lose the benefit of ANY leo transport by local law enforcement, and I cannot say that I completely blame them. So give the cars to DOC. Spread them out. Each circuit, depending on size, will receive vehicles. They can be used as transport. Granted, you might be on transport duty and have to pick up at another office, but hey, they'll at least be secured and taken to jail, vs being let go like they are in some circuits. The cars can be maintained by prison and work release center inmates.

I don't know. Maybe it's a crazy idea, but at least in my county I rarely ever see a FHP trooper. They have low retention because they all leave for greener pastures and higher pay. They spend an exhorbitant amount of money for training them; money that can be tossed back into the budget for us (or other agencies), not to mention uniforms, benefits, ect. Like I said, they're NOT going to be unemployed for long...they'll find local jobs. It just seems win-win for the state, for the troopers and for us.

04-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Ok, hear me out. Why not do away with the FHP all together instead of giving them raises? Every single road in the state is governed by either a city or county anyway, so those officers can do the reports. That's about all they do anyway is issue speeding tickets and patrol deserted highways. Some counties only have one or two troopers on patrol. Is that really benefitting anyone?

They are all trained and certified, so they WILL be employed with other agencies that have openings, and probably make more than they're making now. It's not like they'll all be hitting the unemployment line, right?

As for the vehicles, give them to us. Yup, that's right. We are going to soon lose the benefit of ANY leo transport by local law enforcement, and I cannot say that I completely blame them. So give the cars to DOC. Spread them out. Each circuit, depending on size, will receive vehicles. They can be used as transport. Granted, you might be on transport duty and have to pick up at another office, but hey, they'll at least be secured and taken to jail, vs being let go like they are in some circuits. The cars can be maintained by prison and work release center inmates.

I don't know. Maybe it's a crazy idea, but at least in my county I rarely ever see a FHP trooper. They have low retention because they all leave for greener pastures and higher pay. They spend an exhorbitant amount of money for training them; money that can be tossed back into the budget for us (or other agencies), not to mention uniforms, benefits, ect. Like I said, they're NOT going to be unemployed for long...they'll find local jobs. It just seems win-win for the state, for the troopers and for us.

They talked about that this year but the locals went crazy because of their large cuts coming saying they wouldnt pick up the slack and they backed off. If FHP increased fines bill goes through for them they will be getting very large raises if they have 5 years or more. The rest of the state LEO's are going to go crazy probably.

04-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Also FHP would be unemployed some - most counties are looking not to hire LEO's for up to 2 years due to the tax amendment.

04-12-2008, 02:29 PM
bad idea. cutting leo jobs is bad news

04-12-2008, 02:38 PM
bad idea. cutting leo jobs is bad news

Only the state will do something like that usually - The counties/cities just go in hiring freeze mode.

04-14-2008, 01:59 AM
DUDE YOUR OUT OF YOUR MIND WE ARE CPO'S WE CANT DRIVE A POLICE CAR NEVER MIND ACT LIKE A WANTABEE. WE ARE LOSERS AND IF ANYTHING THEY WILL GET RID OF US. PLEASE :D

04-14-2008, 11:31 AM
DUDE YOUR OUT OF YOUR MIND WE ARE CPO'S WE CANT DRIVE A POLICE CAR NEVER MIND ACT LIKE A WANTABEE. WE ARE LOSERS AND IF ANYTHING THEY WILL GET RID OF US. PLEASE :D

DUDE...YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY...YOU ARE A LOSER AND WE SHOULD GET RID OF YOU...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Open Carry Man
04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Here's a better budget idea: Let the legislature pass a bill closing all of the sales tax loopholes. In addition, let the legislature pass a 1% sales tax surcharge set to sunset at the end of the fiscal year. These two measures would stanch much of the fiscal bleeding to where most of the loss of filled positions could be avoided.

Next: If the idea is to reduce P & P, let the state legislature reverse the absolutely mindless elevating of minor victimless offenses to 3rd degree felonies. (Hint: Think of all of the Draconian sentences handed out for DWLS - HO. I've seen felony DWLS cases ROUTINELY get harsher probated sentences than folks on probation for DEALING drugs.) In this manner, positions could be reduced through attrition, rather than through the kind of hatchet jobs we have now.

If we also want to reduce state prison staff, let the state legislature reverse the statutes that require most minimum-mandatory sentences. Such a decision would unclog the courts and allow pleas in many cases that drag on (and are often dropped) because of the min-man provisions of law. Min-mans are, for the most part, feel-good legislation authored by demogoguing ignoramuses who create more problems than they solve. This, by the way, extends to JLA, which is expensive, and results in cases beng plead down to felony battery (where the defendant escapes PSIA designation) that ordinarily would have been adjudicated as a sex offense.

This of course, would require PBA to begin to refuse to endorse politicians who chant to "no new taxes ever" mantra. The "no new taxes ever" mantra is at odds with paying state LEOs, COs, and CPOs a wage commesurate with their jobs. I could care less about whether or not a legislator endorsed the anti-murder bill. I care a great deal about their position on the upcoming budget, and on future budgets.

04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Here's a better budget idea: Let the legislature pass a bill closing all of the sales tax loopholes. In addition, let the legislature pass a 1% sales tax surcharge set to sunset at the end of the fiscal year. These two measures would stanch much of the fiscal bleeding to where most of the loss of filled positions could be avoided.

Next: If the idea is to reduce P & P, let the state legislature reverse the absolutely mindless elevating of minor victimless offenses to 3rd degree felonies. (Hint: Think of all of the Draconian sentences handed out for DWLS - HO. I've seen felony DWLS cases ROUTINELY get harsher probated sentences than folks on probation for DEALING drugs.) In this manner, positions could be reduced through attrition, rather than through the kind of hatchet jobs we have now.

If we also want to reduce state prison staff, let the state legislature reverse the statutes that require most minimum-mandatory sentences. Such a decision would unclog the courts and allow pleas in many cases that drag on (and are often dropped) because of the min-man provisions of law. Min-mans are, for the most part, feel-good legislation authored by demogoguing ignoramuses who create more problems than they solve. This, by the way, extends to JLA, which is expensive, and results in cases beng plead down to felony battery (where the defendant escapes PSIA designation) that ordinarily would have been adjudicated as a sex offense.

This of course, would require PBA to begin to refuse to endorse politicians who chant to "no new taxes ever" mantra. The "no new taxes ever" mantra is at odds with paying state LEOs, COs, and CPOs a wage commesurate with their jobs. I could care less about whether or not a legislator endorsed the anti-murder bill. I care a great deal about their position on the upcoming budget, and on future budgets.

They actually are voting on making a 3rd and 4th DWLS only a misdemeanor if the person isnt a convicted felon on something else. They wont do the other things as they see it as hurting them politically by adding taxes no matter what form.

04-15-2008, 11:28 PM
I AM DEPRESSED SO I AM GOING TO SHOP ON LINE GALLS.COM AND BUY MORE STUFF TO MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A REAL LEO :shock: :D

04-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I AM DEPRESSED SO I AM GOING TO SHOP ON LINE GALLS.COM AND BUY MORE STUFF TO MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A REAL LEO :shock: :D

I like how you claim you are in different circuits each time you post offender.