PDA

View Full Version : Time to share patrol cars

04-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Time to help with budgets cuts by make deputies share cars. No more take homes which equal lots of savings. Venice PD does it, SSO should too. Besides most of the deputies treat it like their own POV. Big waste of money.

04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
You are clearly not a cop because of your stupid statement. Do you have any idea how much we save on cars? Did you no that VPD's oldest car in their fleet is probably only 2-3 years old if that. Do you know how many years we get out of a Patrol car? 6-7. Thats more than double.
Also when the we "treat them like POV's" and use them off duty, we stop for wrecks, disabled cars and of course if we here an officer needing help. Not to mention any in progress calls we may witness or prevent while just being on the road. 8-10 Deputies also take care of the car much more than a patrol car that is "hotseated" because the Deputies appreciate the fact that it is "their" car and they take much more pride in it.
You are surly a moron if you don't see the cost savings and benefits.
So keep your stupid ideas to yourself.

I know who you are by the way...You shouldn't talk about this idea then post it moron.

04-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Time to help with budgets cuts by make deputies share cars. No more take homes which equal lots of savings. Venice PD does it, SSO should too. Besides most of the deputies treat it like their own POV. Big waste of money.
All of the studies that I've read prove that you're wrong. IMO we should continue to save the taxpayer's money by continuing to issue take-home patrol cars. If the county ever gets "flush with money" where we don't need to save dollars, then we should get rid of take-home cars. But why would anybody want to intentionally rip-off the taxpayers? Hey brain child, here's another thought for your pea brained mind: Why don't we start taking away take-home pistols to save the taxpayers money? Every day at the end of shift, we can require sworn officers to turn-in their pistols. :roll: :lol:

Troll alert. :roll:

04-10-2008, 02:28 PM
If the county ever gets "flush with money" where we don't need to save dollars, then we should get rid of take-home cars.

there is no reason why we should ever do away with take home cars. they are a benefit to the community and a benefit to the cop. it is a win-win situation.

04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
YOU ARE WRONG.

Typically a take-home car plan is beneficial, but not with fuel costs rising to $4.00 a gallon by June like they are and I'd bet every candidate running for sheriff is thinking BIG SAVINGS to the budget to do away with the take-home cars.

My guess, enjoy your ride now it will be gone by next March

04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
YOU ARE WRONG.

Typically a take-home car plan is beneficial, but not with fuel costs rising to $4.00 a gallon by June like they are and I'd bet every candidate running for sheriff is thinking BIG SAVINGS to the budget to do away with the take-home cars.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you suggesting that all SSO patrol cars be taken away and:
1. parked in employees driveways when not being used or
2. parked at the sheriff's office when not being used?

Which are you suggesting???

04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
The most I can see as far as a change in policy would be the following:
Take home patrol cars can not be used for off duty transportation or use. Only to and from work. That is fine with me cause I don't drive mine X108. Thats for the newbies

04-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not the final say at all and personally I'd like to keep my car. I just know that I have heard all of the possible future sheriffs say they'd cut the budget drastically and a few have said take-home cars would be a thing of the past with rising fuel costs. I think all would look to have us come into pickup our car at one of three locations. Lets face it, if you can cut the fleet from over 1000 cars to 200 cars, it would be hard to argue.

04-10-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm not the final say at all and personally I'd like to keep my car. I just know that I have heard all of the possible future sheriffs say they'd cut the budget drastically and a few have said take-home cars would be a thing of the past with rising fuel costs. I think all would look to have us come into pickup our car at one of three locations. Lets face it, if you can cut the fleet from over 1000 cars to 200 cars, it would be hard to argue.
In the short sighted view, yes that would save money. In the long sighted view, that would cost the taxpayers more money. So which is the wiser choice?

In the short run, I can save money by not paying rent, but in the long run, it's going to cost me more money. Which is the wisest thing to do?

Me thinks some are jealous that they don't have company cars issued to them. ;)

04-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Where does one propose we park all of these patrol cars? Lord knows you can't find a spot at fleet. D1 wouldn't fit the bill and D3 couldn't either. So I guess that means the county would have to buy 2-3 parcels of land, pave it ect. not to mention it would have to be in a secure location...

Stop worrying folks, it won't happen. At the very least they will tell us no more X108. The Indianapolis plan is a proven money saver.

04-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Parking?

I hope you have a better argument then parking issues? First, one candidate has already did his homework and knows the county would be happy to give the SO the entire top of the parking garage on ringling (over 280 slots alone), over 100 slots in Venice, which alone is more than you need. In exchange for reducing fleet by 600 cars or so? Less gas, surplus 600 radios, light bars, mechanics, and more.

again, i'm hating the thought of this but it will happen. you will all say that you saw it here first.

04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Parking?

I hope you have a better argument then parking issues? First, one candidate has already did his homework and knows the county would be happy to give the SO the entire top of the parking garage on ringling (over 280 slots alone), over 100 slots in Venice, which alone is more than you need. In exchange for reducing fleet by 600 cars or so? Less gas, surplus 600 radios, light bars, mechanics, and more.

again, i'm hating the thought of this but it will happen. you will all say that you saw it here first.
It just might happen. No argument here. But it's gonna cost ya MORE. You read it here first. ;)

04-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Parking?

It just might happen. No argument here. But it's gonna cost ya MORE. You read it here first. ;)
My neighbor is a sheriff's deputy and I have no problem whatsoever with him parking his patrol car in his driveway because it offers extra security to our neighborhood. Basically, it has reduced crime in our neighborhood and I'd rather see it in his driveway instead of parked in some city lot when it's not being used. We haven't had any crime on my street, to include knocked down mailboxes, since he moved here 3 years ago. It would be a waste of taxpayers dollars to park it in some vacent city lot. Thank you for all you do.

04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
YOU ARE WRONG.

YOUR RIGHT- BUT you guessed wrong.

Our take home cars are part of our contract. ITS CALLED UNION. Sorry there pal the candidates are all former LEOS and know how beneficial besides. We would eat this palace alive in overtime driving to work to get a car and then holding the other poor sap over. Sorry hey Im not even going to justify your comment. Go do your homework before you run your lips.

04-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Parking?

HEY GO READ OUR PBA contract. Why do you think it got resended in the past. The cars are part of our benefitts package.Its not going anywhere besides you had better up my pay for about 7 grand minimum

04-10-2008, 11:07 PM
There are petitions circulating in North Port to have North Port secede from Sarasota County and become it's own county, because they feel they have better personnel and resources to handle everything within their city limits and then no taxes would have to be paid to Sarasota County. City Commission claims they get no service from Sarasota in return for all those taxes paid. Aren't something like 19% of the homes in North Port under foreclosure? Where is their tax base coming from, if not from property taxes? They don't have any commercial tax base. Would TL be by default named the North Port Sheriff? Would SSO Deputies who live in North Port have to park their takehomes at the "county" line?

04-11-2008, 01:08 AM
To regular Joe citizen looking in, yes you would think having take home cars waste money. WRONG. It SAVES money! Im not going to list all the studies that shows it SAVES money in the long run. Google it, if you want to see it.

But, I can see driving off duty being restricted soon. Probably will just be able to drive to and from work. And for those that will site our "wonderful" union won't allow that, think again.....The sheriff can take ANYTHING away if it is budget related!!!!! Go ask any union rep.

04-11-2008, 01:11 AM
There are petitions circulating in North Port to have North Port secede from Sarasota County and become it's own county, because they feel they have better personnel and resources to handle everything within their city limits and then no taxes would have to be paid to Sarasota County. City Commission claims they get no service from Sarasota in return for all those taxes paid. Aren't something like 19% of the homes in North Port under foreclosure? Where is their tax base coming from, if not from property taxes? They don't have any commercial tax base. Would TL be by default named the North Port Sheriff? Would SSO Deputies who live in North Port have to park their takehomes at the "county" line?

Cape Coral tried that years ago. TOO MUCH money. We dont need 68 counties

04-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Everybody seems to be talking about the money situation. But I don't think that too many, if any, citizens have considered the safety factor. Several years ago I was in my assigned patrol vehicle when SSO dispatched a shots fired call in Englewood. The closest available unit was at Venice Ave. I happened to be about 2 minutes away. Several seconds later dispatch advised that the caller stated her husband was in the bedroom and comitted suicide. Several seconds later she stated that more shots were being fired. I was there within 2 minutes. If that was YOU MR. Citizen wanting to save money.....wouldn't You have been glad that I was there within 2 minuted because I was in my take home car or would YOU have rather waited 10 minuted for the deputy to get there from Venice Ave? The caller did not care that I was off duty or in a take home car. She was just glad that somebody got there so quickly. The money that may be sqaved (and overall isn't really saved) doesn't really matter compared to the safety issue. :!: :!: :!:

04-11-2008, 01:59 AM
I am ready where do bring this POS and park it? I hate this turd in my yard. Oh I need a place to change my uniform before going to work because I can not be expected to wear my uniform into work. Oh Yea and since I will be driving a pool car I will drive it like I stole it and it will come back smoking every night YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!

04-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Everyone keeps saying that the sheriff shud do this and shud do that,,do I agree with his past spending habit,,,no way, but our budget is really not that much money in my eyes,,,we need to take a look at the comunty commish,,they voted themselves a 2% raise,,WHY???? Jim Ley make close to 300K,,,WHY??,,,the county pays for a lease car for him,,,Mercedes,,,WHY,,,,all these things are what needs cutting,,,they are asking the SSO to cut 1.8 million from the current budget,,yet SCAT budget just went up 1.8 million,,I'm not a smart person, but o crap I can see that writing on the wall,,O yeah the increase was so they can run evening hours,,,I don't know about everyone else, but I sure have never seen a full SCAT bus,,have you???,,,,So I think as an agency no matter civilian, L.E., Corrections we need to make a stand and grow big brass ones an tell the county to go pound salt,,,,,And what Shannon Staub said "O it's only law enforcement",,or sumin to tht effect otherwise saying it's no big deal if we don't have deputies to patrol,,,I hope that Bizoch needs help one day,,,an o guess what,,we dont have anyone call x8 to take your report.........bac tomarrow!!!!!,,,,the commishes are hipocrits plain and simple,,,telling everyone to tighen their belt as they let theirs out

04-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Bla bla bla spending bla budget bla sheriff bla vote for blabla bla bla.

04-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Bla bla bla spending bla budget bla sheriff bla vote for blabla bla bla.

I agree!

04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Everyone keeps saying that the sheriff shud do this and shud do that,,do I agree with his past spending habit,,,no way, but our budget is really not that much money in my eyes,,,we need to take a look at the comunty commish,,they voted themselves a 2% raise,,WHY???? Jim Ley make close to 300K,,,WHY??,,,the county pays for a lease car for him,,,Mercedes,,,WHY,,,,all these things are what needs cutting,,,they are asking the SSO to cut 1.8 million from the current budget,,yet SCAT budget just went up 1.8 million,,I'm not a smart person, but o crap I can see that writing on the wall,,O yeah the increase was so they can run evening hours,,,I don't know about everyone else, but I sure have never seen a full SCAT bus,,have you???,,,,So I think as an agency no matter civilian, L.E., Corrections we need to make a stand and grow big brass ones an tell the county to go pound salt,,,,,And what Shannon Staub said "O it's only law enforcement",,or sumin to tht effect otherwise saying it's no big deal if we don't have deputies to patrol,,,I hope that Bizoch needs help one day,,,an o guess what,,we dont have anyone call x8 to take your report.........bac tomarrow!!!!!,,,,the commishes are hipocrits plain and simple,,,telling everyone to tighen their belt as they let theirs out

so here's an idea to utilize the bus's better....when could put a zone guy on the bus to get to calls along the route.......there we go....that'll solve that :)

04-12-2008, 12:53 PM

so here's an idea to utilize the bus's better....we could put a zone guy on the bus to get to calls along the route.......there we go....that'll solve that :)

corrected a typo above....