PDA

View Full Version : on the late report list?

03-29-2008, 04:42 PM
and our captains complain if our reports are a few DAYS late...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/cont ... Slain.html (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/content/gen/ap/FL_Redskins_Taylor_Slain.html)

Detective in Sean Taylor case is warned to finish homicide report

MIAMI — A Miami judge has warned a detective probing the killing of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor to finish his report — or else.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy told prosecutors Friday that he would give Miami-Dade Police Detective Juan Segovia until April 28 to finish.

The judge said: "If Mr. Segovia hasn't completed his report by then, I'll find a little space for him over at the Dade County Jail."

Miami-Dade Police said the report would be finished by the judge's deadline. Spokesman Bobby Williams says it was delayed because of Segovia's workload and the complexity of his cases.

Taylor, an All-Pro safety, was shot during a botched robbery attempt at his Miami home in November. Four young men have been charged and are awaiting trial.

03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I'll bet the poor detective working the case got slammed with more calls since the case ended in an arrest. It happens all the time, detective supervisors, who by the way never write a single report or take part in the investigation, forget about the case once the arrest is made. For them its a quick dot and closed case with an arrest. They fail to realize the extensive follow up required, reviewing and transcribing interviews because some supervisors are to lazy to listen to the interviews and they want a synopsis written, coupled with a prosecutor's office who forgets things and accidentally misplaces case files and all the blame goes on the detective every time. Give the guy a break and unless you've walked in the shoes of a major case investigator, refrain from commenting. There should be a promptness of report completion, but with the rediculuous discovery laws in Florida; this is the situation we often have. And for the district captains, I can count the amount of felony arrests some of them have made on two hands at most so don't be throwing stones at the crystal palace you look down on your troops from. The detective should just cut and paste the p/c and add a couple of paragraphs of the date and times of the interviews and tell the reviewers to refer to the taped statements and lab reports, etc...And if the judge had been doing his duty in the first place of sentencing criminal to jail instead of giving'um another break, maybe this would never happen in the first place. It's always easy to blame the guy/gal on the bottom of the food chain.
I'm done and the state of Florida is a lost cause now.

03-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm glad you were able to get all that out and there is a spot on the road for you Detective.

03-30-2008, 03:31 PM
The last poster's response is typical for the administration of this place. Lets not listen to someones concerns because they may have a point and something worth paying attention to, just remind them that theres a place on the road for them.

That is the kind of mentality that we need to rid that agency of. Typical manager that only cares to criticize and find something wrong with somone elses point about something.