PDA

View Full Version : Possibly applying for detention academy sponsorship

03-24-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm considering applying for sponsorship to the HCSO Detention academy and was wanted to hear from the people who actually work there. Tell me what it's like and if you enjoy working there.

I'm a 21 year old male living in Clearwater. I don't smoke, never used any drugs and no criminal record except for a speeding ticket in 2004. I've had my heart set on a career in law enforcement since 2006 and want to get my feet wet by going through corrections. If I do choose to apply, where would I go to apply and who would I talk to? How long is the hiring process and how long is the academy?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me in making this decision. I'm extremely motivated to begin this career and do not want to wait any longer.

03-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Read the post HIRING BENEFITS

03-24-2008, 04:55 AM
That thread was created after mine, but none the less thanks for the info.

I will be listening to many different opinions before making my choice though.

03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
The job isn't bad at all. The hiring process can be lengthy, about 6 months. The academy/module can be both physically and mentally challenging at times but all in all I had fun.

It is a good way to learn to deal with many segments of our society and gain maturity for someone who wishes to start a law enforcement career. Good luck.

03-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm considering applying for sponsorship to the HCSO Detention academy and was wanted to hear from the people who actually work there. Tell me what it's like and if you enjoy working there.

I'm a 21 year old male living in Clearwater. I don't smoke, never used any drugs and no criminal record except for a speeding ticket in 2004. I've had my heart set on a career in law enforcement since 2006 and want to get my feet wet by going through corrections. If I do choose to apply, where would I go to apply and who would I talk to? How long is the hiring process and how long is the academy?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me in making this decision. I'm extremely motivated to begin this career and do not want to wait any longer.

You will make a lot more money staying in your county.

03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
If your long run goal is to get into law enforcement then dont apply here. We do not allow jail deputies to apply for road deputy positions. You have to resign from the office and be gone for a year and then apply to a road deputy position. Other agencies hire out of the jail which is a plus. If you cant find a job at another sheriff's office then apply but dont sell yourself short and apply here right off the bat. Many agencies take care of the jail deputies financially better as well as an opportunity to move up this office doesnt. Oh and for the record Iam a road deputy who sees it from the outiside looking in and have many jail deputy friends who are very unhappy.

03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Pinellas Co Detention Deputy pay scale

$41,284.32 - $67,143.03
http://www.pcsoweb.com/pages/careers/jo ... ption.html (http://www.pcsoweb.com/pages/careers/job_description.html)

Hillsborough Co Detention Deputy pay scale
$36,931.00 - $54,927.00
http://www.jobaps.com/hill/sup/images/default.asp

Why make the drive to Hillsborough to make less, I would stay over in Pinellas. Pasco and Manatee also pay more than Hillsborough. The job has about a 30% annual turn over rate, so you should know its not for everyone.

03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just to clear something up. I had every intention of staying in Pinellas County as I am good friends with one of the Sgts in the jail there. The problem is that the budget cuts have hit PCSO so bad that they are in a hiring freeze and they dont expect to be offering any sponsorships until at least 2009.

And while the pay is not as good at HCSO, I'm only 21 and still live with my family so my only bills are insurance, gas and a cell phone...36k a year would still be plenty of money for me.

As far as going to road patrol, I don't expect to make that move until I'm more certain where I will be living. I planned on staying in Pinellas, but after visiting the Ft. Lauderdale area I'm considering a move to there, but that is a couple years away at best.

How long is the detention academy, and what is it like day to day?

Again, thanks to all of you who have provided answers. I'll be keeping everyone updated on my decisions and progress.

03-24-2008, 09:11 PM
If you are willing to work patrol, put yourself through the law enforcement academy. This will give you a lot more flexibility and employment options than the detention academy.

03-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Exactly, as young as you are stay away from the corrections side. The pay isnt as good and the job is not as exciting as the leo side.

03-25-2008, 01:35 AM
I actually considered doing that, but since SPC requires 30 college credits to attend their police academy, I would have to drive out to HCC to attend the academy. I don't want to get too in depth on a public forum, but I'll just say that this would be extremely hard to do with the money situation.