PDA

View Full Version : hiring

03-20-2008, 09:28 PM
are you guys hiring or just messing around with peoples applications? are you guys really in that need of officers? and does anyone know why mike johnston quit?

03-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Who?

03-20-2008, 10:03 PM
how long have you been with the department?

03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Probably cause this place sucks

03-20-2008, 10:54 PM
why is it so bad now?

03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
He told me that he wanted to move a place where the cost-of-living wasn't rediculous

03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I've been here 12 years. Again, who is Mike Johnston?

03-21-2008, 01:27 AM
I thing that the BIs are getting burn with so many turn-overs. Perhaps if the open slots are not filled, the city will get the point about employee retention.

03-21-2008, 02:22 AM
He told me that he wanted to move a place where the cost-of-living wasn't rediculous
...and with decent schools, where the police got treated like adults. He did take a pay cut, but when you factor in home price, he got a decent raise by moving. That's the problem the city admin doesn't realize: We can get paid better at other dept's in south Florida; or we can move out of state, get paid less, and STILL live more comfortably. That equals a retention problem. Duh! Pay competitively, provide competitive benefits, and there will be a waiting list of applicants.

03-21-2008, 03:42 AM
I had my panel today and passed it, is it normal for them to take you upstairs and tell you your score?

03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
yeah they bring you upstairs and tell you your score... but if you scored low then you mind as well forget it.

03-21-2008, 04:00 PM
That sucks if you passed the interview and score low they wont take you, and i thought they were in need of officers guessed wrong.

03-22-2008, 04:08 AM
Well you have to take inconsideration that even though the agency is in need of officers, the standards are, what they are. If you are, anywhere above 10th place in the ranking or if you score below 80% on the board, then you pretty much not a hirable candidate. If you score low as a certified candidate, you have a better chance of being hired because they don’t have to spend money on the academy.

03-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Well i scored an 82, i guess i have a fighting chance. We'll see what happens.

03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
That sucks if you passed the interview and score low they wont take you, and i thought they were in need of officers guessed wrong.

We are in need of officers but i would rather be shorthanded than have a bunch of people who are not qualified.

03-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Well i scored an 82, i guess i have a fighting chance. We'll see what happens.
my overall score was an 84 and i got hired. u should be o.k.

03-23-2008, 09:09 PM
how do you score well on the oral board? I took it a year ago and my overall score was 78... I just reapplied with them again... I know they score you 60% oral board and 40% bcc tests... I was just wondering how I could get a higher score than that... I know they ask you about your questionaire and some scenarios... I guess just give better answers right... If anyone has some valuable information I would greatly appreciate it.... thanks

03-24-2008, 03:38 AM
I just took my oral board anbd got a 90

03-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Well unfortunately, that’s not always the case in FLPD. I often wonder where the grow these people that they hire. I also wonder how some FTOs have the nerve to train when they themselves are not properly trained.

03-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Well unfortunately, that’s not always the case in FLPD. I often wonder where the grow these people that they hire. I also wonder how some FTOs have the nerve to train when they themselves are not properly trained.
Lowest pay in the county + no pension cola + oppressive city regime = young department. You ALWAYS get what you pay for. Maybe one day the city will realize that experienced officers save the city untold millions in liability payments. And how much was a cola going to cost them?

"You don't do more with less. You do less with less."

03-26-2008, 04:58 AM
do you guys have take home cars still or what? -thanks

03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Maybe one day the city will realize that experienced officers save the city untold millions
Like Geico!!!!!

03-28-2008, 06:22 AM
do you guys have take home cars still or what? -thanks

QSL

03-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Well i just got my letter from the city stating that I'am rank 8 on the eligible list. Do they only select the top five or something like that? Is being number 8 on the list good or bad?

Thanks for any replies..

03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I turned my application in last friday... today I received a letter saying that my application was reviewed but I have to wait up to 90 days to find something out... does this mean I'm screwed?

03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I turned my application in last friday... today I received a letter saying that my application was reviewed but I have to wait up to 90 days to find something out... does this mean I'm screwed?

Dude! Instead of posting constantly on this site about your application why don't you just contact backgrounds? You are like an annoying little kid. Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

03-30-2008, 12:48 AM
In all fairness, there’s some characters in background who aren’t all the welcoming to repeated questions. However, I also concur on the fact that you are getting very annoying with your constant questions that no one here can possibly answer except backgrounds. You just gonna have to put your tail between your legs and call them up as often as your OCD requires.

04-02-2008, 04:54 AM
About how long do the backgrounds take? Ballpark

05-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Whats up guys. I am certified out of state, just completed the comparative compliance and i am on the list with FLPD. I had my interview about 2 months ago and got an outstanding 82. Those cops conducting the interview are true cops' cops. Anyways, i just got called for the psych, but looking at the process, shouldn't the polly be after the interview?

05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Whats up guys. I am certified out of state, just completed the comparative compliance and i am on the list with FLPD. I had my interview about 2 months ago and got an outstanding 82. Those cops conducting the interview are true cops' cops. Anyways, i just got called for the psych, but looking at the process, shouldn't the polly be after the interview?

Sir, if you are trying to get hired why would you be bad mouthing those on the interview panel? You posted the same in another forum bad mouthing them as well. If you want a job, does it realy matter what they do first? if you cant pass a psychological, then why waist the time on the poly?

05-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh no, i am not trying to bad mouth the panel, it was kinda of surprising to see them grill me about things though, i felt like a recruit rookie all over again. Sorry if you took it that way. I respect those guys, they seem like they know what they are doing. No hard feelings, trust me.

Maybe i just found it little weird from a cop's view, thats all.

05-18-2008, 02:48 AM
MAN UP NANCY!!!

05-18-2008, 02:50 AM
You will be a rookie all over, dont talk about how you did it here or there because no one really cares and its gonna get you a bad rep. Suck it up, play the game and arrest some scumbags.

05-19-2008, 02:21 AM
You will be a rookie all over, dont talk about how you did it here or there because no one really cares and its gonna get you a bad rep. Suck it up, play the game and arrest some scumbags.

For t those officers with military background (ground pounders) I have respect. But there’s a lot of little boys in FLPD that were nothing before they had the chance to put a uniform. Now they are walking around like they took part in a Fallujah assault. Please!!!!!!!! When the $hit hits the fan they are the first to run and scream like little girls over the radio for their 94.

The feeling should be mutual as far as respect. Just because you blew or kissed somebody’s ass to get those little mickey mouse stripes and you are now an FTO with 1 year in; does not make you a badass. FLPD FTO’s are ill trained with a Rambo complex. Burger King those not have a SWAT team …..

05-19-2008, 10:50 PM

For t those officers with military background (ground pounders) I have respect. But there’s a lot of little boys in FLPD that were nothing before they had the chance to put a uniform. Now they are walking around like they took part in a Fallujah assault. Please!!!!!!!! When the $hit hits the fan they are the first to run and scream like little girls over the radio for their 94.

The feeling should be mutual as far as respect. Just because you blew or kissed somebody’s ass to get those little mickey mouse stripes and you are now an FTO with 1 year in; does not make you a badass. FLPD FTO’s are ill trained with a Rambo complex. Burger King those not have a SWAT team …..

Many FTO's here are useless bordering preformance plans, this has produced some terrible cops. Some are terrible with stats, they are this as described above. Anyone with 1 year in thats an fto has 2 years of police work else where, Ft Lauderdale PD is not the most violent place to work despite what the people who work here think. Many other depts are less dangerous also of course. However many officers here came from agecies where its very dangerous, you have no backing (less than here) and little or no back up. It comes down to your personal drive to do the job. You are either stopping elderly white females on the way home from church or every dirty car you see, and waiting to hear gun fire and return same. Un fortunately hiring has shifted to people that do not have that drive in many cases, its very apparent. Listen to the 10-50's going to teletype dob W/F 10-6- OF ? 1951 WHAT?. Find a dam criminal let the elderly go. Do not go 15/19 for a publix employee on the way to work with one DL suspension.

05-21-2008, 02:53 AM
You can’t drive to Dist. 2 and not make an arrest for various crimes. Narcotics being on top of course yet, it becomes business as usual for some officers. Just because you’re not stopping 41’s & 21’s in progress does not mean you are not going to do your job busting that Publix employee with a suspended license. The key here is to be a well rounded police officer who can exert his discretion and authority when the time comes or when the situation calls for it.

My time to be swigging it in the street is long gone way back when I was a rookie with brown uniform. Now that I’m down in Indian Land makes me feel like a crusted old fart. FTO’s when I was training were a lot more abusive because the streets in Fort Lauderdale were a lot more dangerous. I can’t say that the quality of training was any better than what it is today but the FTO’s were definitely more qualified. When I went through I had the same FTO for the duration of my field training program. The officers who decided to put on those stripes were more than ready for the challenge. The majority of candidates applying for the job were prior military with the typical mindset of an a$$-kicker. Back then police jobs weren’t as easy to come by with horrible salaries. Today you get the Britney Spears rejects trying to exude some type of super badass complex with every new recruit that hits the streets. I can’t tell you the amount of times when these new Ipod puffy boys have the nerve to tell me how to do my job. Amazing, just less than one year on the job and they can override 20 years in service.

05-23-2008, 12:18 AM
I don’t have 20 but I’ve been here for 10 and I concur with what you said. A lot of these new young cops act like they want shot at American Idol or something. No respect for the senior officers whatsoever.

05-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Its everywhere, Police and Fire. Its the generation of ****y done nothing but know it all. Most still live with mom and dad and have no clue what real life is about. I do agree, when the s&%t hits the fan look who is still with you and go from there. Be safe and tune their asses up! School of hard knocks never fails!!