PDA

View Full Version : LIKE FHP

03-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Do you guys have the same lame FHP policies like no pursuits or no PITS (i know you mostly stop trucks so this isn't an issue) ???

03-19-2008, 02:26 PM
If we pursue somebody then we might have to arrest somebody and then we might have to go to court on our day off. Leave the pursuits to FHP. Why do something if you can do nothing and get the same pay?

03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
If we pursue somebody then we might have to arrest somebody and then we might have to go to court on our day off. Leave the pursuits to FHP. Why do something if you can do nothing and get the same pay?

I hear you but I am a young buck and still don't mind gettin my hands dirty

03-20-2008, 12:07 AM

Dont listen to this guy, he is contaminating the pages tonight. We can only pursue for violent felonies. I can tell you this stooge doesnt work for DOT cause we dont go to court on our day off, we are on regular shift when we go to court.

03-20-2008, 03:12 AM

Dont listen to this guy, he is contaminating the pages tonight. We can only pursue for violent felonies. I can tell you this stooge doesnt work for DOT cause we dont go to court on our day off, we are on regular shift when we go to court.

Thanks man

You get PIT training?

03-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Why are you leaving Highway Patrol?

03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Why are you leaving Highway Patrol?

crapy 28 day rotating cycles and the good ole 10-66

03-21-2008, 07:26 AM
LEEVINHIGHWAYPATROL,

I have been perusing this site as I am contemplating my very near second career in FL. With that said, regarding your issue over pursuits and the PIT maneuver, they aren't all that they are cracked up to be. My state police agency has one of the most liberal pursuit policies around. However, looking back on alot of chases, such as for a burnt out tail light, were they ever really worth it based on the risk to other traffic or myself? Probably not, and yes they were exhilarating at the time and I was lucky. I see value in pursuing violent felonies only based on my experience.

Regarding the PIT, in my agency this is considered the use of deadly force. Don't get me wrong, PIT'ing out a vehicle driving n/b in the s/b lane that is not yielding is fun at the time, shocking when it turns out to be an elderly woman who warranted a special drivers exam and shouldn't have been operating a motor vehicle to begin with.

My point is, out of all the pursuits only a few involved a fleeing violent felon or the use of deadly force to protect others from immediate death or serious bodily injury from the onset. The days of the cowboy still exist even today, but maybe not in FL. Pursuits can go bad very quickly and when viewed by the wrong eyes can cause extreme grief for you and your family! It's hard for me to imagine stopping a vehicle and allowing it to flee without chasing but I understand now what the bigger picture is all about and I can live with that and so can others.

Stay safe Trooper(Trooper if your screen name is accurate)

03-21-2008, 12:41 PM
LEEVINHIGHWAYPATROL,

I have been perusing this site as I am contemplating my very near second career in FL. With that said, regarding your issue over pursuits and the PIT maneuver, they aren't all that they are cracked up to be. My state police agency has one of the most liberal pursuit policies around. However, looking back on alot of chases, such as for a burnt out tail light, were they ever really worth it based on the risk to other traffic or myself? Probably not, and yes they were exhilarating at the time and I was lucky. I see value in pursuing violent felonies only based on my experience.

Regarding the PIT, in my agency this is considered the use of deadly force. Don't get me wrong, PIT'ing out a vehicle driving n/b in the s/b lane that is not yielding is fun at the time, shocking when it turns out to be an elderly woman who warranted a special drivers exam and shouldn't have been operating a motor vehicle to begin with.

My point is, out of all the pursuits only a few involved a fleeing violent felon or the use of deadly force to protect others from immediate death or serious bodily injury from the onset. The days of the cowboy still exist even today, but maybe not in FL. Pursuits can go bad very quickly and when viewed by the wrong eyes can cause extreme grief for you and your family! It's hard for me to imagine stopping a vehicle and allowing it to flee without chasing but I understand now what the bigger picture is all about and I can live with that and so can others.

Stay safe Trooper(Trooper if your screen name is accurate)

Thank you for the reply. I see where you are coming from. However, it really annoys me that people will want to avoid tickets or getting caught with dope and simply drive off. The public down here knows they can just simply speed up and drive away and not get caught.

03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
dot and fhp may be one soon