PDA

View Full Version : BIKE PATROL

03-12-2008, 06:04 AM
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,
The City of Hialeah is going to start up a bike patrol unit, (PLEASE DON'T LAUGH). I would like some information about what the training is like. Would one of you bike patrol officers please give me a brief synopsis as to what to prepare for.

Regards.
:wink:

03-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Good Question. Finally someone brings up something that this message board was intended for.

If I remember correctly, the school is three days. You will first have some classroom instruction on the bike itself. Parts, maintenance, operation, recovering from minor breakdowns (flat tire, chain falls off, etc.). Next is the low speed maneuvering. You will have to negotiate an obstacle course at low speed (simulating a crowded street or whatever) including tight circles, serpentine, etc. Then some emergency maneuvers, like stairs (down and UP), bailing off the bike, takedowns, jumping curbs, change in gradient, etc. And finally, you go on a long ride with the entire class to work on formations, negotiating traffic, and some basic off-road riding (usually at Oleta park). It's a really fun time and if you take our class, the instructors are very good. It's not too too strenuous physically, but you should be able to ride at least 20 miles, which is not a big deal because you are in formation and speed is not a real issue. Good luck and hope to see you out there on the 49th Street Beat real soon.