PDA

View Full Version : police lay offs

03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
North Port lays off 13
Eleven are from the city's building department
By John Davis
NORTH PORT -- The city laid off 13 employees Tuesday, telling them they are no longer needed because of the prolonged building construction slump.

Eleven of the 13 are from the city's building department, and 2 are city vehicle fleet mechanics, no longer needed since fewer building inspectors will be on the road.

"It's not the fault of any employee," said City Manager Steve Crowell. "It's just related to workload."

Home building has languished, with North Port issuing only 17 new home permits in February, close to the five-year low of 12 in August and December.

The layoffs underscore the depth of the home building slump in North Port, which boomed as late as 2006, when permits routinely reached triple digits in a single month. Now the city is dealing with a large inventory of homes and little demand for new ones.

Crowell said he believes the slowdown will continue in North Port for "probably a year, if not more."

The laid-off employees were given two weeks' pay and can access health benefits through April.

For months, North Port had avoided the staff cuts that other area governments implemented because of the economic slowdown.

North Port transferred workers from building to other departments, and put workers on 30-hour weeks in an attempt to ride out the slump. But the numbers did not rebound enough to justify the jobs.

"You don't pay people for not working," said Danny Schult, assistant city manager.

Building director Scott Williams said the layoffs were not a surprise to employees.

"It was just a matter of time," said Ted Petrone, a plumbing inspector who lost his job Tuesday after two years with the city.

Last modified: March 5, 2008 2:21am

mod 352
03-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Pay no mind to this rumor that is being started here. If the poster knew what was actually going on, they would know why these 13 were laid off. I suggest that you understand the financial support that goes to pay salaries of the building department. This has nothing to do with public safety.

03-10-2008, 11:49 PM
The city commission has alreaady publicly stated they would not cut police and fire.

03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
OK WELL I AM NERVOUS THIS CITY IS NOT BRINGING IN MONEY AND EVENTUALLY CRAP IS GOING TO HIT THE FAN.

03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Then leave and go some place else. Oh you can't because no one is hiring. Oh wait, we are still hiring with 12 openings still. Yeah we are the only city who is feeling the Amendment 1 effects, no other place in this State is. The difference is we are still hiring.

03-12-2008, 02:24 PM
has any heard that possible lay off's may happen before the end of 2008 ?? i also heard that we will not be hiring any new officers.

03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
NPPD is on a hiring freeze until June/july

03-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Negative! We are actively working on backgrounds as we speak for a hiring in June. There is no freeze! I don't know where you get your information but it is wrong.

03-12-2008, 06:28 PM
YA I HEARD WE HAVE AFREEZE ALSO, WELL LOOKS LIKE LAY OFFS NEXT :cry:

03-13-2008, 01:57 AM
That is funny, I asked today and found that we are still actively hiring 12 positions. That does not sound like a freeze to me. All you FTO's just wait until June. Another round coming your way!

03-14-2008, 03:18 AM
No way NPPD is going to continue to hire. Let;s just understnad if we do. There will be job cuts down the road. It's only going to get worse.

03-14-2008, 03:33 AM
Not for us though..or the fire department!

03-14-2008, 02:48 PM
No way NPPD is going to continue to hire. Let;s just understnad if we do. There will be job cuts down the road. It's only going to get worse.

Well, since you don't make those cuts and have no idea what is really going on your opinion really does not matter Mr. Negative man.

03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
no more spots city took them away.... yes its true :?

03-16-2008, 08:38 PM
budget cuts will not go on forever... give it a year or two and it will be fine.

03-17-2008, 01:26 AM
no more spots city took them away.... yes its true :?

Ah no they are still there.