PDA

View Full Version : BARTOW PD

03-10-2008, 02:11 AM
So, how long til we "merge" with Bartow PD. Another question, how is that we will have to take orders from THEIR Sergeants, when we've been here for alot longer than them?

03-10-2008, 11:57 AM
beacuae they have worked in law enforcement longer than you. they were most likely made a sgt. because of that.lol. and because it is your job to respect a supervisor.

03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
true you need to show supervisors respect but they have to do the same to you there are a few that dont

03-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I dont know about the supervisors at BPD but there are some here that need to remember where they came from they are no better then the slick sleeves here and remember there are alot of us here that remember thier screw ups when they were reg, street cops

03-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I thought they were only going to remain a sgt if they stayed inside of the city of bartow... is this no longer true?

03-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I thought the merger was on hold. Sounds like it is in the works again.

03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I heard the merger talks were still going on. And, that if they stay a sergeant for one year inside of bartow they will be "grandfathered" as SGTs here and could then transfer to any SGT opening and test for Lt.

Thats what I HEARD, and you know how that goes

03-10-2008, 10:47 PM
well if they do that what a slap in the face to everyone at pcso that have worked thier a$$ off to be a sgt

03-11-2008, 03:19 AM
" heard the merger talks were still going on. And, that if they stay a sergeant for one year inside of bartow they will be "grandfathered" as SGTs here and could then transfer to any SGT opening and test for Lt. "

From what I heard, that was true, sort of.....After 1 year in bartow, they could apply for other Sgt. positions IF, and only IF they met all of our requirements for Sgt. But I've also heard that none of their Sgt.s currently meet our requirements...so who knows....I personally feel they should have wait 4 years to be a real S/O Sgt. if he/she is qualified...that would only be fair(er) to the Deputies who spend their first 4 here working to meet the requirements, but thats just my opinion from the bottom, looking up...lol

03-11-2008, 12:26 PM
they have put in the 4 years!!! it doesnt have to be for pcso we are not gods! you think if they are not pulling the time with us then they are not qualified. thats stupid.

03-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Are Sgt's for pcso required to have a degree?

03-11-2008, 03:35 PM
yo "duh" its not that they dont have the time in as a cop its alittle thing called seniority and i guess you have never tried to move up to sgt or det. and have someone with less seniority with the dept get it....

03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I’ve read here what some of you at P.C.S.O. think about a smaller agency "merging" with P.C.S.O. and if their sergeant’s are given a chance to move from that City after 1 year. Comments such as "well if they do that what a slap in the face to everyone at pcso that have worked thier a$$ off to be a sgt" and "I personally feel they should have wait 4 years to be a real S/O Sgt. if he/she is qualified...that would only be fair(er) to the Deputies who spend their first 4 here working to meet the requirements, but thats just my opinion from the bottom, looking up...lol".

What a bunch of arrogant B.S. What makes you think supervisors at other departments are not qualified????

I am a supervisor at a City p.d. and I have more than 12 years of law enforcement experience and I am currently working on my Bachelor's degree. I have to make the same decisions that your supervisors do regarding arrests, search warrants, warrantless searches, warrantless arrests, use of force, pursuits, etc. The State Statutes damn sure do not change when you cross a City line, and neither does the liability.

Here job description of a P.C.S.O. patrol sergeant:

Essential Functions:
• Prepare Correspondence
• Complete Daily Reports
• Manage Misdemeanor Case Assignment
• Utilize Division Computer Terminal
• Maintain Document Files
• Facilitate Training
• Analyze Criminal Activity
• Oversee Service of Judicial Process
• Distribute New Policies
• Prepare Monthly Platoon Schedules
• Prepare Daily Line-up
• Attend Scheduled Meetings
• Arrange Mandatory Training
• Review Criminal Offense Reports
• Maintain Facility Security
• Facilitate Community Relations
• Assign Deputies to Zones
• Oversee Field Investigations
• Handle Citizen Complaints
• Review and Approve Attendance Records
• Disseminate Information to Media
• Explain Laws and Department Policy
• Conduct Evaluations and Inspections
• Assume Role of Platoon Leader
• Discipline Subordinates
• Maintain Equipment and Supplies
• Assist Subordinates with Personal Problems

The only thing we don’t do is oversee of judicial process, but I am responsible for ensuring my subordinates are served their subpoenas and that injunctions for protection are served.

Education, Professional Certification or License:
• State of Florida, Basic Recruit Certificate of Compliance
• Minimum two (2) year Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Completion of a *CJSTC-approved, 80 hour line supervision course
• Valid Florida driver's license

No problem there.

Environmental Conditions:
• Work rotating 12 hours shifts
• Work may require exposure to inclement weather
• Work may require acts of physical endurance and agility
• Work may involve contact with dangerous persons or situations
• Work under highly stressful conditions both in an office environment and field operations

Already do that

Required Skills and Knowledge:
Knowledge of:
• PCSO policy and procedures
• Appropriate forms
• Florida State Statutes
• County Ordinances
• Filing system
• Geographical area
• Civil process
• Resources
• Facility security
• Demographics
• Ethnic/cultural awareness
• Radio codes, signals, identifications
• Evidence procedures
• Crime scene processing
• Tactical operations
• Case Reporting Manual
• Resistance/Control Continuum

Ability to:
• Operate motor vehicle
• Read and write English
• Operate office equipment

Skills:
• Management
• Media relations
• Organizational
• Telephone
• Interpersonal
• Basic mathematical
• Computer
• Basic English grammar
• Investigation
• Supervisory
• Instructor
• Decision-making
• Analytical
• Weapons proficiency

Don’t have the PCSO policy and procedure or County ordinances, but we obviously have our own, and they are eerily similar.

Physical Requirements:
• Sit for long periods
• Stand for long periods
• See at normal range or with accommodations
• Hear at normal level or with accommodations
• Speak understandably
• Manual dexterity
• Ambulate independently
• Bend
• Walk
• Recognize colors
• Sense of smell
• Lift 20 lbs.

Check.

Professional Experience:
• Minimum four (4) consecutive years experience as a full time sworn deputy sheriff with the Polk County Sheriff's Office or
• Completion of the Street Training Instructor or Detective Evaluation Training Program and a minimum of three (3) consecutive years experience as a full time sworn deputy sheriff with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office

Everything but the employment part. Wow, that’s pretty darn similar.

03-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Its just a thing called Seniority!...No slam on the BPD Sgt's or you....I would be willing to bet that YOUR agency doesnt hire in new Sgt's huh?....and its not conceit, just differences..have YOU ever supervised 9-12 officers spread out over a 600+ square miles or more?...I have worked city's and the county...its a whole different world in a large county...there is nothing wrong with either....on the flip side of that, despite my years of experience in a large county agency, none of that has prepared me to supervise a LARGE city like Miami, Tampa, ect. ect....if I went to one of those agencies, then I would have a learning curve as well, say like, oh....4 years or so. I have also supervised in a small city...again its different. In a city, you can SUPERVISE and direct your officers to take action...in the County, you have to MANAGE and train your deputies to make good decisions on their own...there is no way you can run everything when your on a scene in say Innwood, and one of your deputies gets into a charlie foxtrot north of Davenport!

None of this is a slam on the BPD people...I know some of them...with 3-4 years adjudtment, people like Hunt, Reall, the one and only "Pudge" and Tong would make excellent sgt.'s here

03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Thank you for your non slam reply. Points taken, however:

Most of my post was aimed at the two that made the quotes that I posted.

True, it is much different in your Innwood to North Davenport scenario, but if I'm in the office checking reports and one of my officers gets into a c.f. or pursuit that I'm too far away to join in or catch up to, I still have to supervise by radio or cell phone until I get there, just like your supervisors.

Many City p.d.'s have several officers on a shift, L.P.D., W.H., Aub, Bartow. Of course, we don't supervise over 600 square miles, but how many of your newly promoted sergeants did before they sewed on their rank. Maybe two years is a better requirement, but I don't think 4 (or 3 if you meet the requirements) is warranted in many cases. Take each case on an individual basis, just like your staff does when deciding who to promote.

I feel that if this came to fruition, the City supervisors should go through the exact same STS program that your newly promoted sergeants go through now.

No, except in a merger, no one should be hired in as a sergeant, but a merger is not the same as someone walking away from their job at a City p.d. or Highway Patrol. An officer has absolutely no control over the merger.

03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
no one is saying they are not qualified but how would you feel if they hired someone into a position that you had been working your a$$ off for

03-12-2008, 12:30 AM
hmmmm

hmm amazed at the arrogance sounds as if you are a BPD sgt

03-12-2008, 01:17 AM
i dont think the so picks people for positions based on senority.

03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
if you haven't promoted yet and your still working your arse off for that job......then maybe its just not in the cards

03-19-2008, 12:43 PM
or is it some think you should get a promotion from working hard doing your job and not from how many a$$es you kiss during the election year

04-03-2008, 09:31 AM
What a bunch of a$$e$! who gives a dang how long you have been with the PCSO. Its not the other "Supervisor's" faults that they are at a different agency that has been taken over by the PCSO. Who says"PCSO" has better supervisors. I have you know that when a SGT. at the BPD runs a shift at night, he not only runs his shift, but the whole dang department and everything else that goes on in the CITY! If you all are such "Superior Supervisors" then where are all the "Superior Supervisors" at when the hot calls are going on in Bartow at night. I only see the Helicopters assistance majority of the time. Especially on night shift.

Course I have heard the Arrogance of "well, its their city, but our County". To me it just shows that some at the PCSO might create more of a "Hostile work enviroment" for other agencies being taken over, and some of you guys dont trust the "other" officers judgement!
You all go in with your "Police Standards" some with AA,AS, BA, BS, Masters, and so on and so forth and that is good, but When you put on your suit and armour, badge, and gun you all are the same! Yes, some more experienced than others, and some smarter than others, and some that make better decisions than others, but that is what gets you further in your careers, but that is anywhere! no matter if you are a Cop, Lawyer, Fireman, Lineman, Teacher, etc........ In the end you all are hopefully going toward the same goal... and that is, to put the bad guys in jail, give out tickets, keep the citizens protected, and have each others backs!

I hope that the one that thinks of the PCSO"REAL SGTS" is taking notes. To wait four years... Please.... its not like the F.T.O's coming in and taking over as a SGT. If a Sgt. is at his dept,and merges to your dept. He should stay his rank. And as far as being promoted to Lt. Well, you have whats called a "SOP" that you study by for your test right?

Each agency has their own SOP that they study by when they take a SGT or LT. test. That would mean the "merged" agencies would have to study the PCSO "SOP" which I am sure most have not..... But I will make sure to download it, and make sure the SGTS that I know have a copy to study by..... in the event BPD does merge. (The SOP's are probably not that different, but I am sure there are differences.) Most everyone I know at that agency does not have a degree. I can count on one hand those with degrees.... so NO worries you "Real SGT." you have to have a degree to be LT. with the PCSO right?

And if you have worked your a$$ off to be promoted, and still have not, it is probably because of the way you think! I hope you never have to back up any officer or someone higher than you that I know that may not be in your agency. That is really sad!

04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
dude
in my fridge, at the bottom in the crisper area, there is a 6 pack of Bud....take as many as you want.

04-03-2008, 09:52 PM
or.....the next time your in a store, buying coffee....please, choose the urn with the handle marked.."DECAFF"

04-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks, but no Thanks, I'll stick to the Moonshine!

04-04-2008, 06:46 PM
The best solution for this problem is that BPD stays BPD. I'll be happy to stay on the short bus just so I dont have to defend my career and be subjected to insults while being compaired to the gods of PCSO.

04-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Gosh, I feel honored to be at the TOP of the Polk County Sheriffs Office message board. Bartow Police Department is in the LimeLight. I just love being in the spot light. It shows how beautiful and graceful I am even being a "man's" world. " Your so Vain, you probably think this song is about you" Your so vain! I love being the theme of everyone's day!!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

04-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Bunch of knuckleheads! Who gives a shizzat about any of this. It's all up to the top city officials and the sheriff and there's nothing anyone else can do about it. And "the PCSO gods"???? Give me a freakin' break!

04-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I think if you worked for BPD it would matter a great deal to you. Heaven forbid they speak their minds. Its no more meaningless than debating if Regan would of invaded Iraq or about political canidates. At least this thread is somewhat related to law enforcement.

04-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Let's not throw too many stones here. I have had the privelege to work closely beside a few Bartow PD officers over the past month or so and have been very impressed with what I have seen. Should the merger occur, the S.O. would benefit greatly if these officers are of similar caliber to their counterparts at BPD.

The decision-making process on this issue is way over any of our heads and lies with the Bartow City Commission and the City Manager. Let's keep it professional between each agency as we both need to work together whether we wear the same uniform or not. The officers at BPD are in limbo and have been for several months, they are ready for a decision to be made. Let's not add to the current tension by speculating and guessing on what "might" happen.

04-07-2008, 04:17 AM
I think if the Bartow supervisors meet the criteria to be a supervisor with the Sheriff's Office then by all means they should keep there rank. If they do not meet the criteria then they can get in line like everyone else on the list. It's not a matter of the "PCSO Gods", it is just not fair to the Sheriff's Office personnel that have played by the rules and have to sit back and watch someone who has not have the automatic rank.