PDA

View Full Version : SunSent Article

03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I cant believe nobody posted anything on the article in the Sun Sentinal about County Commish Koons wondering why more retired cops are not carrying guns. He feels this would have helped Re; the Wendys shooting, and wants the Sheriff to streamline backround checks. Well it is a good idea but it shows how out of touch these guys are. Retired guys or anybody for that matter can get a Florida carry permit pretty easy. They dont really need the sheriffs help. We should take this tragedy and use it as an oppurtunity to respectfully revisit the policy in the countys own courthouse where even cops cant carry guns. This tragedy could just have easily happened in the courthouse where minnimum wage security guards are in charge of checking for guns. What do you all think about this ?

NuKar
03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
We have gone around and around about this here many times. Without the Sheriff down right telling the Kroll he hopes her judges intend upon moving hearings outside on the sidewalk as we're not entering without our guns, nothing is going to change. I wish things were different, but so far, it seams to be a fruitless battle. :(

03-06-2008, 12:23 AM
it always helps if you post the article...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 1172.story (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flpcopguns0305pnmar05,0,4521172.story)

Palm Beach County official wants retired cops to carry guns

By Mark Hollis | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
March 5, 2008

Before Monday's shooting rampage at a Wendy's restaurant in suburban West Palm Beach, County Commissioner Bob Kanjian began inquiring into why more retired police officers from out of state aren't carrying guns.

After seeing the restaurant in shambles from gunfire, Kanjian, the son of a retired police officer, says he's convinced that county funds should be used to help ex-officers from out of state get the necessary background checks so they can pack a weapon wherever they go.

"I can't imagine people not thinking this is a great idea," Kanjian said Tuesday. "[Monday's shootings] are a wonderful example of the kind of scenario where, if there was someone trained and armed in the restaurant, they might have been able to take the shooter out before he had taken a second shot."

Kanjian, who estimated that there may be 2,000 or more ex-officers residing in Palm Beach County, has asked Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw to prepare an estimate of what it would cost the county to conduct state-required background checks of ex-officers who seek weapons permits.

Bradshaw said the estimate will be ready in a few weeks. Though he expressed interest in the initiative, the sheriff said there are concerns associated with allowing retired officers to carry weapons. When an officer is responding to a shooting, the action is "heated and fast, and a lot of things are happening," said Bradshaw. Putting a plainclothes ex-officer with a weapon drawn into the mix, he said, can add to the confusion or worsen the outcome.

In 2004, federal laws were changed, under what was called House Resolution 218, to allow retired officers to carry weapons across state lines so long as they passed annual tests to prove their shooting skills and carried state-issued cards verifying that they had undergone firearms training and had separated from their employment in good standing.

Last year, the Florida Legislature passed a law defining the state's rules. But the state did not provide funding to pay for checking ex-officers' employment history.

Some gun-control groups have previously expressed concerns. Former officers, they noted, have been involved in some high-profile shooting incidents. But locally, advocates for county funding for the permitting procedure include leaders of a new Fraternal Order of Police lodge made up entirely of former New York officers.

Arnold Dansky, vice president of the lodge and a Boynton Beach resident, approached Kanjian with the funding request.

"There are so many incidents where people have gone off [shooting] in schools, malls. And you just never know, there could be an armed retired officer that could be of assistance," Dansky said.

Mark Hollis can be reached at mhollis@sun-sentinel.com or 561-228-5512.

03-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Yes I know but I was having a hard time pasting it for some reason. At least you didnt critisize my spelling or grammer.
How about a well written petition to the chief judge requesting that local LEO can carry in the courthouse. I would like to see that and the 1st 2 signitures should be the sheriff and Kaz

03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't think anyone understands the civil liability that would impact PBC and PBSO if a bad thing happened at the court house and LEO's all had to high-tail it for cover out the doors because they didn't have their duty weapons. Every victim could just start adding as many Zero's as they want to the wrongful death suit because we have all tried to raise this issue and it has fallen on deaf ears at the PBA, our Agency, the SAO and our judicial leaders. If something bad happens; it's called deliberate indefference. For people to claim to be highly educated and schooled in the rules of law and reasonableness; it is perplexing that common sense is not the prevailing factor in this issue. Just make sure your family understands that if they get a knock on the door for a loved one from a courthouse incident; there is someone to blame and this time its not going to be the little guy at the bottom of the food chain that gets blamed for not acting.