PDA

View Full Version : Pete Smolyanski

02-28-2008, 12:27 AM
The russian is doing hard time in a federal penitentiary in S.C. I Never trusted him. I'm told some brass (TM) may have lost $25K

02-28-2008, 03:33 AM
What prompted the all expenses paid holiday to Club Fed?

02-28-2008, 02:26 PM
passed practice

02-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but I still don't get it.

02-29-2008, 01:06 AM
EX--COP IN PRISON

Retired Miami Beach detective Peter Smolyanski, a Ukranian immigrant who twice earned accolades from Parade magazine for his undercover work, is now inmate No. 79712-004 at the Federal Correctional Institution in Estill, S.C. He is serving one year and one day for conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

Smolyanski, 56, ''was ordered to pay $5.5 million in restitution,'' a Department of Justice website says. ''Smolyanski lied to consumers about the profitability of the DVD vending machine business and failed to disclose that his daughter and son-in-law were involved,'' the DOJ says.

Smolyanski joined the force in 1981 after working at Central Cab, as a driver and then manager of the company's garage. During his 23 years as a lawman, he helped the feds investigate the Russian mob.

MBPD named him Officer of the Year for 1997. Then, Parade and the International Association of Chiefs of Police honored him -- in 1998 and in 2003 -- as an ''honorable mention'' for the Police Officer of the Year Award.

From the IACP's '03 write-up: 'Acting undercover, Smolyanski . . . met with members of a Colombian terrorist group involved in exporting drugs throughout the world. He `negotiated' a deal to trade $25 million in cash and drugs for five crates of Russian-made missile, grenades, machine guns and ammunition. Smolyanski traveled to four different countries, risking his life on every occasion. . . . Smolyanksi was also honored in 1998 for his undercover investigations; specifically those that resulted in three top crime figures being charged with drug violations, money laundering and conspiring to buy a submarine to smuggle drugs.''

Defense attorney Bruce Udolf, a former federal prosecutor who worked with Smolyanski, says he was a ``courageous cop who exposed himself to blood-curdling danger.''

Projected release date is Dec. 15.

02-29-2008, 02:32 AM
And those are the ones who get officer of the year.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?:

02-29-2008, 09:02 AM
so he f*&$#% up and prob got greedy with the vending machine side business...

we all make mistakes... some BIGGER than others of course :wink:

03-01-2008, 01:12 AM
A perfect example that one O"SHIT will totally erase a lifetime of ATTABOYS.
You are really only as good as your last 15 minutes.
Sorry to hear it.

03-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I believe it is appropriate to have a motion to have him thrown out of the FOP as a member in "good standing" and look into having his pension stopped at least for the time he is being a member in "good standing" with the FEDS. I await your thoughts.

03-06-2008, 03:01 PM
You are a genius. Lets make a motion here on LEOaffairs.com. In fact, lets just conduct our entire union meetings on-line or better yet, lets go to the yard at DCJ and hold our meetings there. When will you people learn that this is not the place to talk about these things. If you are so concerned about kicking someone out of the union, then go to a meeting and speak your mind. We gain nothing by talking about these things in public. Please shut up and go to the next FOP meeting.

03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
You are a genius. Lets make a motion here on LEOaffairs.com. In fact, lets just conduct our entire union meetings on-line or better yet, lets go to the yard at DCJ and hold our meetings there. When will you people learn that this is not the place to talk about these things. If you are so concerned about kicking someone out of the union, then go to a meeting and speak your mind. We gain nothing by talking about these things in public. Please shut up and go to the next FOP meeting.

Are union is a joke. If they were are a real union they would be dealing with the MM RL or the RW issue. So you can have my slice of pizza and coke at the next meeting.

03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
BBQ YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-08-2008, 01:06 AM
I am just guessing, but I think most of these replies are from people that never worked with the mad russian. He came from a time when you did what had to be done. That never meant stealing or fraud.
If you came post 80's. you don't know crap about our agency. I caught the tail end and was trained by those that battled the mariel influx. Different times, different mindset.
Most of the rich condos in the south used to be the Crack houses we fought in daily.
Walk a mile in an other man's shoes.......
Not defending Pete, but don't throw stones at someone who has a gun!!

03-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Those were the days. The word on the street was, you “F” with a Beach cop and you go to the hospital.

03-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Smo is a true scumbag! I'm sure u are defending him because u feel some loyalty for something but the reality is... that is not the way police work is supposed to be. By the way, did u ever have relatives in Vietnam defending our way of life....well I have and what do u think about him training North Viet Cong in the use of tanks against our troops? I know, I know....Just a different time and way to get things done.

03-10-2008, 01:16 AM
we really eat our own here. what a bunch of pirates.

hey by the way the former soviet union was manditory military service fyi.
in communism you are forced. No choice.
I have never heard him say anything un american only that he was greatful to be an american.

What he did was stupid ( ref his fed prison time).
He lost his freedom his right to vote his right to carry a gun to protect himself
and even worse his pension possibly.
unless he stole you babys milk out of the refegerator in your home. I would not be so rude.

thee is NO thin blue line here at all... you are more like private mercenary types then a profession. All you car about is the money in youer pocket.. and thats why this dept will never reach its potential.
We will always be a joke that other depts LAUGH at.

03-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Say it aint shmo.

03-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Trust me, he will not lose his pension. One would have to worked around him in the late 70's and early 80's. Then, I am sure you would understand. Please do not talk to me about the thin blue line. Once a thief, always a thief!

03-15-2008, 06:48 AM
exactly! the thin blue line, is thin, but still a frekin line! if you cross it, and in this case, LEAPED over it! F him! He makes us all that wear a badge look bad.

03-21-2008, 12:57 AM
HES A PIECE OF SH*&^%. TOOK SOMEOF HIS BUDDIES FOR LOTS OF MONEY. I DONT FEEL BAD FOR HIM...HECK I CONSIDERED HIM A FRIEND AT ONE POINT. THE SAD THING IS THAT SOME OF THE GUYS THAT GOT SCREWED STILL CALL HIM BUDDY.

03-21-2008, 03:43 AM
shitbirds flock together!!!

03-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Do any of of you people know that shmo was a tank commander in the Nam? And responsible for US troops deaths? Probably not. Do any of you know that he was a stand up guy in a
L K shooting? Probably not. Shmo was a piece of work sometimes good guy sometimes badguy he has a history and not a one of you know the whole story STOP SECOND GUESSING AND STOP PASSING JUDGEMENT.

03-21-2008, 10:22 AM
exactly! the thin blue line, is thin, but still a frekin line! if you cross it, and in this case, LEAPED over it! F him! He makes us all that wear a badge look bad.

SOME DONT NEED TO WORK AS HARD AS OTHERS....AND THEY STILL MAKE YOU LOOK BAD... IN THE BEACH FOR SOME REASON THEIR IS NO NEED TO WORK HARD TO DO THAT...

03-21-2008, 03:07 PM
hey super guest you are the epitomy of why Police Departments have bad apples. If he was a hero in the war, I salute him. If he crossed the blue line, APPARENTLY SO! CONVICTED AND SENTENCED YOU DUMBASS!

03-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Hey guest if you would have read the post you would have noticed I said he was RESPONSIBLE for US troops deaths. He was in a Russian tank and I do not think he was a hero. He was a man who has made some very bad choices and also some very good ones. So go ahead and make your point that he screwed up but understand this, it was a bad business deal and had nothing to do with him being a cop. Yes, it reflects badly on us as a profession but so does everything that we do as well as what our family and friends do. So put it to rest.

03-29-2008, 02:33 AM
We should have arrested and fired Peter years ago. Our city has paid thousands of dollars in false arrest settlements thanks to Peter. Of course, who was protecting him all these years and made him a hero? You got it! Ex-DD and his side kick TM. I hope TM did lose 25k.

03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
shitbirds of a common feather flock together...