PDA

View Full Version : March Academy

02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know if the March Academy is still taking place? Also, is FDLE on a hiring freeze?

02-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes, it is still scheduled.

02-28-2008, 03:44 AM
With FDLE's change of the hiring requirements for Special Agent positions, does anyone have a vague idea of the composition of the next class, such as prior LE experience, advanced degrees, military, etc?

Just curious

Thanks

02-28-2008, 04:06 AM
It's about 50/50 according to one of the firearms instructors.

02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
50/50 what?

02-28-2008, 12:44 PM
50% with LEO experience, 50% without. The 50% without LEO experience will have 4 years degrees, most of those with LEO experience will also have a 4 year degree other than the few with friends on the inside, i.e. Jim Madden, Wayne Ivey, etc... Military really doesn't factor into FDLE hiring that often.

02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
There will actually be more people with NO prior experience than there will be with those that do have prior experience....It Is What It Is....

02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Wanna save some big money.....stop having the "academy" and stop calling it an "academy." Take the positions alloted for this and put them back in the field. Let's call it what it really is....a joke! Everything done during this extremely boring eight weeks could be done in the regions. After all it's nothing more than a long term fancy in-service session anyway. God help you folks!!

02-28-2008, 02:36 PM
You're so right! When I was hired I thought the academy was going to be very different, HOW SURPRISED I was!! I had over 7 years of investigative background, and everything they did as far as training, I did years prior in training classes. Why not just put the new hires into those training course during the course of their year probation?

If the Commission is hell bent on hiring those with no experience, put them through the acedemy, and let the one or two hired with experience skip the BS!

02-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know if the March Academy is still taking place? Also, is FDLE on a hiring freeze?

I guess I didn't make the cut this time. A little over a month until the academy and haven't gotten a call about the psych test. Actually, haven't gotten a call or anything since the interview and PAT (passed) at the beginning of November. Should I email Samantha and ask what my status is? Any positions in Sarasota or Ft. Myers? I figured if I failed the interview I would've gotten a letter by now. Any suggestions from SAs?

02-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Academy is still set for 3/31. Don't worry if you don't get in this one...it's no big deal anyway, especially if you have previous law enforcement and investigative experience...you can do the job without the academy anyway.

02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Academy is still set for 3/31. Don't worry if you don't get in this one...it's no big deal anyway, especially if you have previous law enforcement and investigative experience...you can do the job without the academy anyway.

Will they still be hiring this year after this academy though? I've got 7 years LEO/investigative experience and total over 15 years with the state.

02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Is the PAT still 1.5 mile run in 15.20 seconds, 18 push ups, 27 sit ups, and 16" vertical jump.. is that jumping straight up in the air ? Any more specifics would be appreciated.. can your legs be bent on the sit ups or what ? Any other tips would be appreciated. ! Thanks

02-28-2008, 11:05 PM
no more vertical jump.

FDLE will be posting announcements for SA's approx. every 6 months or twice a year if you will.

There is no "freeze" but it appears (current SA's and those applying with LEO experience will be glad to know), that those non-sworn applicants for the most part don't appear to be getting processed due to budgetary constraints. Of course, FDLE won't say that but it appears that way.

02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Good...non-sworn shouldn't get processed at all. Let them earn their stripes on the streets like the majority of us had to do to get here.

02-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Good...non-sworn shouldn't get processed at all. Let them earn their stripes on the streets like the majority of us had to do to get here.

:roll: