PDA

View Full Version : Vic's Last Post

Vic Makey
02-27-2008, 01:27 PM
What I have learned in the past 24 hours from this website. First, I learned that Banks, Williams and Simms were deeply offended and hurt (spoke with all of them personally) by the comments made by others on this site. Although none are close friends I know each of them well enough to know that none of them would do anything to hurt anyone in this department. I learned that no matter how much anyone tries to bring this group of officers together we are divided and these divides are deep and cross some pretty scary bounds (very dangerous in police work) that go far past dislike. I learned that a few of you on this website use it to pursue the goal of separating all of us.
When a problem arises that someone points out a solution must be or should be found. In this case I do not think a solution is possible. I think the divides run so deep and start from supervisors down to the recruit at the academy. I am not sure if a new contract could even fix these problems as the vile comments have nothing to do with money, benefits or a contract.
I am old fart and fixed in my ways and believe to my core that police officers stick together and once you break the bond of officers (some call the “blue line”) you are no more than the people you protect except you have a badge. People (police) will always talk trash it comes with the territory but lately it goes beyond trash talking to the realm of others trying to end careers. From reading these posts to speaking personally with the ones affected in the last 24 hours I found out the names of those who went above and beyond to screw someone over. I promised those I spoke to that I would not disclose any names but believe me “you few” are found out. Shame on you for hurting a fellow officer and more shame on us for believing in you.
Some supervisors have said time and time again “if you don’t like it leave” well that is not a solution. If I don’t like it from this point forward I will point it right out and give an answer you might not like. All I have to do is document the problem, be polite and use my Chain of Command. I can say this and the proof is delivered on a daily basis: I did not like way we are utilized on road patrol and under informed in for what danger we put ourselves in everyday. Did I quit as you suggest? No, what I did was take it upon myself to make a change. For those of you who make that statement (“if you don’t like it leave”) what have you done to make change? Entrusted with a position most police officers strive for and never obtain and your only comment “if you don’t like it leave” … shame on you and shame on us for having you as a supervisor. As a Sergeant Major of Marines once told me “sometimes you have to respect the insignia not the man”.
I really don’t have the answers this time to fix any of this and that is what bothers me the most. I can stand up here and say truth but nothing good will come from it. I am lucky that in my circle of police officers (although extremely small) we value the core beliefs that made this an honorable and passionate profession and that I know they will always have my back and I will do the same. I am fortunate to have two people from this department as friends and be able to have a relationship outside of work with them.
What I learned is keep my mouth shut because really outside of my circle and friends no one can be trusted. So if you see me in the building or in the car and I don’t say a word to you, well just take it in stride, I learned my lesson over the past 24 hours very well. This is Vic’s last post on Leo Affairs and I do hope that it will help some others with this problem.

02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
See stickey by MOD 426 - well said!! VIC, why? you are the only voice of reason on this site!

You guys need to grow up and fast. Remeber the post from a few days ago - no one cares about us, but the people in blue!! Just ask the ones that have been and going through the ringer.

LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!!!!!!!! I would like to believe there is still hope!!!

02-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Dear Vic,

I feel compelled to respond to your last post. I want to start out by first apologizing to everyone for my emotional intelligence (or lack there of). I try to pride myself on keeping my composure but in this case I failed miserably. In truth, I usually don’t care what anyone thinks about me, because I’m accustomed to being judged on my appearance, but accompanied with the fact that I was skipped for promotion, the public insults were more than I could bare.

I don’t know how to unite us, I have suggested picnics and bravo vs. alpha game wars but no one seems to care. I wish I knew the answer but I do understand that if we are so busy fighting with each other we cannot fight for what’s right. We stand together in solidarity when one of us is injured and yet we hurt ourselves far more than any weapon can. At least the criminals have something to gain for turning on each other in our case we do it for entertainment.

This too is my last post, as I’m sure I will get many more nasty responses, but remember we already have to fight for a contract, on the streets, the media, and the politics, please lets not fight each other anymore.

Good Night All,

TW

02-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I completely agree with that. Well put TW.

I think its time for the moderator to pull the plug on the lauderhill PD thread. Its done nothing positive.

02-29-2008, 07:37 AM
I completely agree with that. Well put TW.

I think its time for the moderator to pull the plug on the lauderhill PD thread. Its done nothing positive.

its a shame