PDA

View Full Version : whats next in bsi

02-20-2008, 02:05 PM
02/19/08
Burnt Store, Punta Gorda Isles fishing ban proposed

PUNTA GORDA -- Bill Albers will finally see his fellow City Council members consider the fishing ban he's been expecting for more than a month.

The council will consider a proposed ordinance Wednesday that will effectively ban mullet and other fishing from the seawalls of vacant lots in Burnt Store Isles and Punta Gorda Isles. Albers had expected the ordinance to go before the council by now.

What part of the sense of urgency to get this done did you all miss? We said this would be completed in February," Albers wrote to Punta Gorda City Manager Howard Kunik in an e-mail dated Feb. 2. "Leaders of both civic associations promised their members that resolution was imminent.

"Citizens, especially those in BSI who have generated numerous calls to (the Punta Gorda Police Department) about this are now very upset with our performance," Albers wrote. "I am really embarrassed, and I don't do embarrassed well."

In another e-mail to Police Chief Chuck Rinehart, Albers wrote, "I am hopeful that once the no fishing ordinance is passed in March that this will become a mute point. Meanwhile, we have a bunch of very concerned and proactive residents."

If adopted, the ordinance would prohibit fishing within the canal systems -- except where posted and specifically allowed by City Council. Anglers would need the expressed written permission of lot owners to fish from the seawalls.

Violations of the ordinance could result in fines of $100 for first-time offenders, $200 for second-time offenders and $300 for each subsequent offense.

Some residents see the ordinance as absolutely needed.

"It gives a very uncomfortable feeling to have a "public fishing pier" right next to and across from us," Dennis Waryjas wrote in an e-mail forwarded to Mayor Larry Friedman. "Especially considering the number of robberies right around us on our street and the streets adjoining us. We have elderly and widows living all around us -- I'm sure they do not like this situation either!'

But not everyone sees the fishing ban as necessary, or prudent.

"In my opinion, it is an example of overreaching by local government," Dave Ouimette wrote Friedman. "The proverbial sledgehammer is being used to kill a flea, and the solution to the perceived problem is going to create a huge inconvenience for everyone who fishes within the city's limits."

As proposed, Ouimette suggests homeowners or their guests could be asked by police to prove they own property or have written permission to fish on the seawall of the property. If they don't happen to have written permission on their person, they are subject to fines even though they may have the right to fish at that location.

"There are no exceptions, even young kids who may be visiting parents or grandparents could be fined by the police," Ouimette wrote.

Paul LaFleur wrote to Friedman, "I hope you don't pass this proposed statute, but if you do, I would ask that it be done fairly. Restrict all activity on vacant lots, not just fishing from the seawalls. Neighborhood barbecues, social gatherings, yard sales and parking recreational vehicles ought to be included in the statute."

Gregory Larrison, a sixth-generation Punta Gorda resident, is upset at the characterizations by some BSI and PGI residents of he and others who fish for mullet from the seawalls.

"Before PGI and BSI were even a faint idea in anyone's mind, and (when they) were just low-lying swamps and salt flats, I fished these local waters and streams," Larrison said in a statement. "I have not ever been loud, rude or offensive in any way to the people of PGI or BSI when I have been fishing from a vacant lot, but I have found myself increasingly the subject of police visits as a direct result of citizen complaints that I have in some fashion violated someone's perceived enjoyment of life.

He takes exception with BSI and PGI residents who would describe him and other local anglers as "nonresidents."

And like LaFleur, Larrison asked that council not single out the anglers. To be fair, he said, a ban should prohibit all recreational activities from vacant lots.

"As I understand the law, no one who lives in PGI or BSI has any greater rights or privileges with respect to vacant lots," Larrison said.

The City Council meets at 9 a.m. Wednesday at City Hall, 326 W. Marion Ave. , Punta Gorda.

You can e-mail Steve Reilly at reilly@sun-herald.

02-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Mr. Albers was quoted as saying " we need to give our police a tool to take action against the violators'. What he meant to say is we will let the police dept do our racist, illegal enforcement so I can keep all of the angry old fuqs happy that voted for me.

02-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Once again, you are warned that you are in dangerous territory with comments like that, and you are negatively affecting the entire department

02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
well? it is what it is. It's ok though there will be more know it all azzes the next time election time comes sround. These idiots crack me up, they come from up north, their bored and have lots of money so they run for city council. Then they think they are cities answer to everything..

02-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Why must you deputies disguise yourselves as PGPD officers. Nice try.

02-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Why must you deputies disguise yourselves as PGPD officers. Nice try.

nope im not a deputy

02-22-2008, 10:59 PM
BSI is now movng for a law that wil not allow black or hispanic people in their neighborhood. They were quoted as saying that the crime is out of control and its all their fault.

02-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Well lets see if the rich and famous get their illegal "racist" law passed next month. If so we will have to enforce this bull shiz. It would be nice if the city council would reach down and find some balls and tell these racist idiots to go pound sand.

Oh gee that wasnt nice. I hope we dont lose tax money because of this comment. :x

Jacobsen
02-26-2008, 12:43 AM
removed by 480 but repaired by Jacobsen

"People are pretty much alike. It's only that our differences are more susceptible to definition than our similarities."
-Linda Ellerbee

02-28-2008, 02:54 AM
You are being warned again. Continue on this path, and face the consequences.

Jacobsen
02-29-2008, 11:07 PM
While you're arguing over this subject, think about this:

“When the sun rises, it rises for everyone.”
-Unknown Author

03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Jacobsen. Your an azz, stop with the quotes. Go do some more forms.

Jacobsen
03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Forms are done... mission accomplished!

03-06-2008, 12:27 AM
The racist communist of BSI won. It just goes to show what money can buy. Cant wait to see what they buy next from our great city leaders

03-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I agree wampuss

03-06-2008, 05:00 AM
I think that is an absolute joke of an ordinance violation, for both PGI and BSI. I am a Officer here in the state, and have family in that area. I think there should be more concerns within the community then who is fishing. Do people not realize that kids, and or adults who may be sitting on that sea wall could be out their selling crack or stealing. But no they have nothing better to do than call on parked cars on the street or a kid or adult just trying to enjoy there day. I can only hope that the officers in the community use some good judgment, and just talk to some of the people enjoying the day fishing, instead of giving them a $100+ fine that no person can afford right now with the economy being what it is.

To the officers down there be safe, to the citizens get a life!!!!!! and also remember you to were probably one of those people fishing on that lot before you built your house.

03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
This site isn't for citizens, it's for cops.

03-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I think that is an absolute joke of an ordinance violation, for both PGI and BSI. I am a Officer here in the state, and have family in that area. I think there should be more concerns within the community then who is fishing. Do people not realize that kids, and or adults who may be sitting on that sea wall could be out their selling crack or stealing. But no they have nothing better to do than call on parked cars on the street or a kid or adult just trying to enjoy there day. I can only hope that the officers in the community use some good judgment, and just talk to some of the people enjoying the day fishing, instead of giving them a $100+ fine that no person can afford right now with the economy being what it is.

To the officers down there be safe, to the citizens get a life!!!!!! and also remember you to were probably one of those people fishing on that lot before you built your house.

You are correct. Welcome to small town politics, where our alcoholic city council abide by the wishes of the rich and famous. Our city council could care less about the average folks.

03-06-2008, 06:58 PM

You are correct. Welcome to small town politics. Our alcoholic. dope smoking city councel could care less about the average folks.

Jacobsen
03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
removed by mod 480 but repaired by Jacobsen

"All the citizens of a state cannot be equally powerful, but they may be equally free”
-Voltaire

03-07-2008, 02:09 AM

You are correct. Welcome to small town politics. Our alcoholic. dope smoking city councel could care less about the average folks.

This was written by either:

1. A deputy;
2. A disgruntled former employee;
3. A disgruntled current employee.

Knock off the crap!

03-07-2008, 02:17 AM

1. A deputy;

Knock off the crap!

wrong it was located in the charlotte sun. Editorial section. Knock what off, these people are a bunch of idiots. If you dont agree to bad. This is America remember

03-07-2008, 11:02 AM

1. A deputy;

Knock off the crap!

wrong it was located in the charlotte sun. Editorial section. Knock what off, these people are a bunch of idiots. If you dont agree to bad. This is America remember

Stay off of our page you idiot. It's for cops.

03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Editor:

For the first time I have to agree with Marilyn Smith-Mooney and her vote on fishing on empty lots in the Isles.

These folks have been fishing these waters for most of their lives and now us Normy Newcomers want to put a stop to it. I thought this was put to bed last year with "No Trespassing" signs put up by the land owner. I know of one case where the neighbor put it up.

The police chief states "No problem." We came to Florida to live on the water, now some of us want to keep it for themselves, how selfish. What more do you need to put this to rest? Some of the folks complaining are just winter residents who must go back North to see what they can complain about up there. Take a broader look at the picture. If we stop the locals from fishing then we have to stop the landscapers from parking on these empty lots. Even further, the Isles girls will have to find a new parking solution for their sales. No neighbors parking their RV's and extra vehicles on the empty lots next to their home. This could be a larger problem than fishing. Imagine what the ACLU could do with this. Some of these letter writers just like to see their name in the paper. Get a life and if you still have the desire to wave a flag, try the Stars and Stripes for a change and give the rest of humanity a break.

Ron McKinnon

Punta Gorda

03-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Editor:

For the first time I have to agree with Marilyn Smith-Mooney and her vote on fishing on empty lots in the Isles.

These folks have been fishing these waters for most of their lives and now us Normy Newcomers want to put a stop to it. I thought this was put to bed last year with "No Trespassing" signs put up by the land owner. I know of one case where the neighbor put it up.

The police chief states "No problem." We came to Florida to live on the water, now some of us want to keep it for themselves, how selfish. What more do you need to put this to rest? Some of the folks complaining are just winter residents who must go back North to see what they can complain about up there. Take a broader look at the picture. If we stop the locals from fishing then we have to stop the landscapers from parking on these empty lots. Even further, the Isles girls will have to find a new parking solution for their sales. No neighbors parking their RV's and extra vehicles on the empty lots next to their home. This could be a larger problem than fishing. Imagine what the ACLU could do with this. Some of these letter writers just like to see their name in the paper. Get a life and if you still have the desire to wave a flag, try the Stars and Stripes for a change and give the rest of humanity a break.

Ron McKinnon

Punta Gorda

Old news. get a life